Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times

Advertisements

I mean people you meet who never let you get a word in. Those people who go on and on about themselves, their lives, their families, their jobs, etc etc. Why can't people understand it takes two to have a conversation? I am sick of meeting people who think they don't need to hear anything I have to say. And even when I do get in a word or two, they always bring the conversation back to them. Not all that stuff is interesting to me and I just nod my head and they go on and on.

I do have trouble getting out of these encounters. I don't like to be rude but good grief. It isn't all about you all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 02:46 PM

264 posts, read 183,303 times
Sorry, I missed what you said, can you repeat that?

.....oh never-mind, let me tell you about me...

;-p

In any case...is there a question anywhere in there?

Old 10-04-2017, 02:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
OP, you can get away at any point you want, all you have to do is say "It's been great chatting with you but I need to carry on with my day" then turn around and walk away.
This way you have turned the table and made it *all about you*.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:57 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
I have a friend who's like this. It's really hard to get a word in edge-wise with her.

We don't really do much together anymore, one on one. And I know that when we are in a group, she's going to be the one doing most of the talking.

What can I say, she's not a close friend. LOL

Old 10-04-2017, 03:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Yes, I can think of two people I know who are like that. It wouldn't matter if it were me or someone else standing there ... They would just continue talking without regard for who is listening. It's certainly not reciprocal.

If you're talking about in a dating setting, Barb, then I would call behavior like that a warning.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:46 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I mean people you meet who never let you get a word in. Those people who go on and on about themselves, their lives, their families, their jobs, etc etc. Why can't people understand it takes two to have a conversation? I am sick of meeting people who think they don't need to hear anything I have to say. And even when I do get in a word or two, they always bring the conversation back to them. Not all that stuff is interesting to me and I just nod my head and they go on and on.

I do have trouble getting out of these encounters. I don't like to be rude but good grief. It isn't all about you all the time.
The funny thing is I always hear people complain about talkers.

I'm not sure if you're referring to EXTREME cases of what you describe, but in my experience, talkers are much more popular than persons who prefer an equal exchange.

Perhaps it's because they can always keep the conversation alive or can make people laugh with their crazy stories. People want to be entertained and don't like awkward gaps.

For example, I work with a guy who lives for working groups of people with his wild and crazy stories. Most of the conversation you get in just redirects him to his next wild story.

My conversations are more even... "What did you do this weekend?" "Oh, you like that kind of music?"

And he is a much more popular guy than I am.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
If you're just "meeting" them, it implies they're new, and you beat a retreat after the one-sided conversation is over. If it's someone you'll be spending time with, you point out the imbalance.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:37 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I tend to run on but being with my other half has cured me. LORD that man can talk! No matter what is said, he flips it to be about him. Unless it criticism of him, then he flips it to be someone else's fault. ugh

Old 10-04-2017, 07:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Over shares...Hmmmm...

Got a friend of this nature. God bless her for feeling the need to over express and detail her dilly dallies...
I listen ..Because..There was a time where her quietness led her to a dark era..
Now when she yaks ...I know to just nod. Yup..And a few..Who was that again? ..
To let her know I care.
If it's a complete stranger a quick exit stage right works...

Old 10-04-2017, 07:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

There's even a few on CD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships