Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:19 PM

23 posts, read 20,696 times

Advertisements

Me and my mum were on a train when a complete stranger came up to us and gave us £10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 12:23 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,537,181 times
Gosh. So many things.

Compliments on my eyes or hair.

One guy opened his shop and replaced a car part on a Sunday morning so I wouldn't be stranded in Houston. I'll never forget that.

Stopping when I had car trouble (even though I had it handled).

Helping me with my bags.

Endless things. Just so many things.

Which is why I also try to be that stranger.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:43 PM

23,517 posts, read 19,222,618 times
Couldn't count them, couldn't rank them.

Being able to do something kind for someone else is priceless.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:04 PM

49 posts, read 64,187 times
I was back in my hometown for Christmas and my SIL and I decided to go to the Salvation Army and look around on Christmas Eve. I was in the Chidren's section and found some really nice winter coats in the next couple of sizes up for my son for around $5 bucks a piece and a man came up to me and asked if I was Christmas shopping. I said no and as just buying winter coats for my son and he gave me a $100 bucks. He gave several other people $100 bucks before leaving. My SIL wished the Christmas Santa had walked by her.

My friend had a similar encounter with a Christmas Santa. She was at a Waffle House and had been reading her bible. A gentleman came up and asked if he could borrow her bible. A little while later, the man brought the bible back to her and said that a certain bible verse brought great comfort to him and to read it later. When she opened her bible to the page the passage was on, there were two $100 bills.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:16 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,291,583 times
Almost 50 years ago, I was a poor college student. I drove about 50 miles round trip several times per week to get to school. My old car croaked at the beginning of the semester. I had limited funds but a couple of hundred in savings. This was a time when it was possible to buy a decent for-sale-by-owner car for $100-$200 (and was often cheaper than doing a major repair). I found a number of possibilities in the classifieds but they were spread all over everywhere geographically. The bus didn't go many of the places and I hadn't ridden the bus much anyway.

There were two older adults in my class. Both smarter and more participatory than the average student. One was a lady about 60. While I, and most in school, wore typical jeans and really casual attire, the adults dressed nicely. The older woman, who sat right next to me, was quite elegant. She was tallish, had flawless skin, stylish gray hair and glasses and expensive-looking cashmere sweater and skirt sets. In casual conversation before class, I was bemoaning the loss of my car. At the end of class, she said, "I'm taking you car shopping. When can you go?" I started to demur because I hadn't really even talked to her before. But, she just spoke to me with conviction that it was something we were going to do.

She patiently ran me all over kingdom come on about four or five half-days. Out along dusty country areas, to a few small towns and around the bigger city. She wasn't intrusive but did ask good questions. When I saw one pretty nice car for which I was about $50 short, she offered me money to make up the difference to be paid back when I could. I didn't end up buying that car but found one within my budget the day after which I bought. Then she took me to lunch to celebrate. And she refused to accept money for gas. I wrote her a note of gratitude which she really seemed to appreciate. Such a genteel, gracious, kind person.

As we rode those days, she talked some about her adult children and grand kids and about her husband. Only later did I learn he was a teacher and a pastor. I sure wasn't surprised. I will never forget how much her kindness meant to me.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:56 PM

674 posts, read 612,549 times
Imagine you're a Jew in Nazi Germany. The Gestapo is hunting you down. A kind old German lady takes you in, hides you in her house, and later asks her son to lead you down little-known trails so you can safely get out of the city.

The country was not Germany and I am not a Jew, but that's what an old lady did for me. She saved my life.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,199,529 times
One time, in 1979, Hubby and I were driving in Wyoming, westbound, after crossing the Bighorn Mtns. Our car broke down on a Sunday and the car repair shop would not be getting the part in until Monday morning. A guy invited us to his home to spend the night with himself and his wife. Everything worked out fine....

Old 09-30-2017, 07:14 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,335,213 times
This wasn't exactly a stranger, per se, but I had never met her before. My dad was on life support in the hospital and it was becoming apparent that he wasn't going to come back. So I was taking turns sitting by his bedside, talking to the doctors, etc. His girlfriend and many members of her family had shown up, so I went out to explain to them what was going on and what the doctors were saying. My "stepmother" was really upset, obviously, and I remember feeling almost like I was outside of myself, like I was playing the role of hostess and I had to make sure they were okay, especially my stepmother.

Anyway, after I had talked to them for a while, I turned and was starting to walk back to see my dad. One of the daughters-in-law of my stepmother came over to me and put her hands on my arms and asked, "(SeaOfGrass), are you okay?" But she looked into my eyes like she really meant it. I kind of just gave a small laugh and said, "I think I am." Then she gave me this big, squeezy hug. Not a polite, helpful hug, but a REAL hug. I just remember how much it meant to me; she didn't even know me, but she made sure I could feel her support. I'll never forget it.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:51 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,105,605 times
Too many to count so I'll list the most recent one:

We just left a baseball game. My wife, our 2 year old daughter and I. We are waiting outside of the stadium for the shuttle to come back. Older woman and her husband, think grandparent age, came up to us and said to my wife, "I don't know if she's old enough but one of the players threw this to us and I'd like you (my daughter) to have it." It was a game used baseball. Totally unexpected and greatly appreciated. She's not old enough to realize it yet but she will understand when she's old enough.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:56 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,987,489 times
Most recently, a woman in the Antwerp train station offered me a twenty cent piece so I could go through the bathroom turnstile. It cost fifty cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships