Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:05 AM

147 posts, read 161,997 times

Advertisements

So as we all know NYC gets the rep of being such a rude city where everyone walks into you and curses you out if you don't get out of their way(not as much anymore since there's so many transplants) but what was the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for you? where it actually made you stop and actually feel there was still some humanity left in this world?

If you can't think of anything nice anyone has done for you.. what was the nicest thing you've done for a stranger?

Let's help everyone see there's still some chivalry in this city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 08:46 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Not me, but this morning I saw two cops changing a tire on a middle aged woman's car. I was extremely impressed.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:06 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Not on the streets but at my last job in retail. I was upstairs bringing boxes to the compactor and was having a very difficult 12 hour day. I had a bunch of large boxes and had trouble hanging on to them all and threw several of them down in frustration Another employee of the building who had no responsibility in doing so said "Let me help you sir, Been a long day for me as well" and helped me out. I recall how he really gave me a lift in mood. We became friendly and I found out he was from Haiti working 2 jobs to support his family. great guy, And while I left that job long ago hope he is out there doing well.

I once helped someone up from the subway tracks after a woman lost her phone and went down to get them. She was heavyset and had some trouble, No one else helped. A train pulled in 1 minute later. The station had a curve so not easy to see a train until it was close.

Bought a few homeless people food, Some accepted, some did not. Helped push a few cars stuck in the snow or disabled cars, Stopped 2 or 3 creeps who were harassing women.(One was an underage girl actually on the B82 bus, nearly went toe to toe on that one never forgot it) and then a few 911 calls for people in need.

I notice most times people will stop and help. I cannot stand those who film it on their phones and do nothing else. Ugh.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Oh, too many to remember, much less to list.

But I always loved how quickly people jumped in to help me up when I used to fall in the snow.

Oh, wait! Maybe the nicest was when a few years ago a total stranger gave me a ticket to a Broadway play!

Old 03-01-2015, 02:20 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
Last night in port authority when a teenage hoodrat intentionally stuck her foot out and tripped me walking down the stairs while I was carrying my suitcases getting back from a funeral. I've been living in NYC for almost 15 years now and grew up right across the river in hudson county and in that one moment it hit me just how ****ing disgusting and vile this city is. Putting in my notice at work this week and even though I am broke, owe thousands and thousands of dollars in student loans and credit card debt, or have any other job lined up. I've had enough. I am truly disgusted by this city, less so by hoodrats really and more the by the hoardes of privileged ****heads that move here. I just can't anymore. Thank you kind stranger for tipping my breaking point.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Twice in one of the muni-meter parking lots in Queens people have knocked on my car window to give me their tickets that were good for several more hours. I guess they figured it was already paid for, and the city shouldn't get double the money.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:51 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
My wallet fell out in Times Square on a Saturday night and a group of 3 (women) called me back to get the wallet. Not sure if they were native NYers or tourists. Still I am thankful as I had quite some change in it.

Last edited by nyccs; 03-01-2015 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 09:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Random chica give me a BJ in Miami and I didn't even know her name.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:17 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
It happened to me on metro North on may way back to the city. The metro North train showed up and I wanted to buy a ticket. I did not have enough time and I hopped on the train because the next train was half an hour or more away. I was trying my best to hide from the ticket agent. The ticket agent asked me for my ticket and I did not have it. A gentleman had a spare ticket which he gave me. I wanted to give him back the money for the spare ticked, but he demured. One thing as New Yorker that I have believed if you be nice to people and do good for others karma will return the favor when you need it.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:22 AM

170 posts, read 315,323 times
I fainted once on the subway during the morning commute. A gentleman I didn't know helped me off the train at the next stop, bought me a bottle of orange juice, and then saw me to my next train when I said I still had to go to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: