Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 03:52 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,460,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Tell him you will bring a take out dinner to his home
Good idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 04:27 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times
It's not really rude. Perhaps it's a compliment that he felt close enough to you to say that.

And your response was fine. You can now just call him up and say, "Did you decide about whether you'd like to go out to dinner on your birthday? Please let us know so we can make plans."

Old 10-31-2017, 04:30 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,551,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I would think that, but he just talked to my mate and said that he wanted to go to the most expensive restaurant in town....as well as complained that we weren't going to have him over.
Ok, now he's being rude. I'd given him the benefit of the doubt before, thinking maybe he wants homemade cooking (does he know you don't cook?), but now he's being a pain in the rear.
I have no advice. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2017, 04:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,014,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's not really rude. Perhaps it's a compliment that he felt close enough to you to say that.
I agree. Or, perhaps there was a misunderstanding, as in, he is aware of the mid-wk b'day & was inviting himself over for a b'day drink, not dinner... still, who knows.

If it's not already straightened out, you might respond via email or phone call that you'd like to take him to ABC (his favorite restaurant) on xxx day/time & if he doesn't have plans, you'd be delighted.

Anyway, you're wonderful friends. I'd love for someone to be thinking of me in such a way on my b'day. It's in 6-mos, if anyone wonders... I'm available!

ETA: Oh, oops, just saw your last post. He doesn't seem appreciative, so perhaps consider doing what will least put you out, since you've already offered (with the understanding that it may be your last b'day treat to him) & don't worry about him. Single & 40... I'm beginning to see why. Maybe his best b'day present will be a good stern talkin' to.

Good luck. You're good friends.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:42 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,431,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I would think that, but he just talked to my mate and said that he wanted to go to the most expensive restaurant in town....as well as complained that we weren't going to have him over.

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

I'm rather blunt when it comes to personal relationships, with that kind of thing I'd be calling them up and say that given the confusion, other plans fell into place and maybe everyone can get together some other time in the future. I'd then wait for THEM to plan it.

Thankfully I've culled those kinds of 'friends' from my life. Too much work.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:30 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
I'm kind of surprised that so many people don't see this as not only rude, but obnoxious. Who the hell invites themselves over to someone else's house for dinner???

Old 10-31-2017, 08:15 PM

94 posts, read 87,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
With friends like that, who needs enemies?

I'm rather blunt when it comes to personal relationships, with that kind of thing I'd be calling them up and say that given the confusion, other plans fell into place and maybe everyone can get together some other time in the future. I'd then wait for THEM to plan it.

Thankfully I've culled those kinds of 'friends' from my life. Too much work.

THIS ^^^^^ The bolded part. Bravo Brian!

Old 10-31-2017, 08:23 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,767 times
He gets two choices: Take it or leave it.

What's with these friends (Hello, I want you to entertain me in your home) and relatives (Hello, I will be staying in your home for three weeks at Christmas) that you know who always demand to have things their way?

Take him to Burger King. I think they'll still do it "your way" and it will be a fast evening.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:55 PM

30,376 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How do you have enough time to take him to a restaurant when you are *so busy* but do not have time to fix a meal at your home?
Because taking someone to dinner only requires getting in your car (taxi, bus, etc), sitting down, eating, and saying good night. Having someone over requires cleaning up beforehand, cooking or ordering food, setting up the food/drinks, cleaning up afterwards, etc. Having guests over is MUCH more time-consuming and physically draining than simply going to a restaurant. Why do you think busy people/families eat out more often than dining at home, even if it ends up costing more money?

Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,542,010 times
Not really a friend of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships