Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,238,326 times

Advertisements

I've found over the years that I can only do *** saw puzzles that are tropical, Hawaiian. For the life of me I can not finish one that is anything else, and I've tried. The worst ones for me are artwork, paintings, just can not do them, but give me a giant panorama of all the Waikiki hotels or an ocean, sky with palm trees, done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 08:54 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,518,355 times
I love jigsaw puzzles. I no longer have a place to put them and use jigsaw apps on my iPad. But I do love them.

Quote:
I've always wanted a 10,000+ one but just don't have the space to do it.
I had a twin towers puzzle that was 10,000 pieces. LOVED it. We worked on it for a long time. Friends would come visit and we'd sit and work on it. Whenever my babies took naps, I'd work on it. Watching TV at night, I'd work on it (I saw a lot of Everybody Loves Raymond- a show I didn't like- because I was too lazy to get up and go get the remote to change the channel ) It took up the entire dining room table. When it was time for Thanksgiving, my brother (who was visiting) helped cut a board to put over the puzzle so we could enjoy dinner at the table. We hadn't quite finished the 2500 pieces of sky before we moved to another state and we had to take it apart. Sad, sad day

Old 11-08-2017, 10:35 PM

439 posts, read 347,215 times
Maybe they are partially autistic

One autistic guy we'd babysit I did puzzles with.

When I'd pick up a piece, he'd look at it and say no if it was the wrong piece as I started to see if it fit in.

So he never actually fit the pieces in. Everytime a puzzle piece touched, it was the correct one for said spot.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:57 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,334,803 times
Some tips that help put them together more easily. I have a big long flat box that I dump the entire puzzle into to start. Then I have smaller boxes that I use to separate the colors. Then I work on sections. And i have it on a table where I can rotate it so I can do the bottom, sides, top much easier than trying to do it all one way. Some of my friends use a card table, so they just move their chair around to work on a different section without rotating it. I love puzzles and I have a ton of them. And since I have cats, I have long sturdy boxes to cover the puzzle with while I am not doing it. They can lay on the boxes without squishing them and leave my puzzles alone.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:24 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,073,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I have no patience for jigsaw puzzles, either. Not as a kid, not today. To me, the worst thing about jigsaw puzzles, is the "so close, yet so far away" factor. That's when you have a piece that just barely fits, but is less than a millimeter too big. Especially when the picture on each piece matches up, like when both pieces are the same solid color.

One time, I cheated, and ruined a puzzle by going that. I used a piece of sandpaper to file down a few pieces that almost fit---the pictures even matched up perfectly---but were ever-so-slightly too big. They finally fit, and didn't even look altered. But my parents caught me, and took away the puzzle . I pretty much laid off jigsaw puzzles ever since. I did give them another shot a few times, but never enjoyed it.

Am I the only one who ever tried to alter the puzzle pieces to make them fit?

I never tried that, but honestly, I think it's kind of neat that you tried. Seems like it says something about your individuality, and making the world work for YOU as opposed to adjusting to the world you find yourself in.

Maybe being a leader instead of a follower...I don't know. lol

Old 11-09-2017, 07:27 AM

10,508 posts, read 7,090,909 times
Brains function differently.

For example, I love crossword puzzles. Sometimes on a lazy weekend, I'll sit in my chair and polish off the NYT, LAT, and WSJ crossword puzzles one after another.

Yet if you ask me to do a Sudoku, my brain shuts down.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM

5,821 posts, read 3,899,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I never tried that, but honestly, I think it's kind of neat that you tried. Seems like it says something about your individuality, and making the world work for YOU as opposed to adjusting to the world you find yourself in.
My thoughts exactly. I had no issue if the piece was totally the wrong shape, like an innie vs. an outie. It's the "so close, yet so far away" pieces that irritated the hell out of me, and prompted me to alter them with sandpaper That also explains why I always liked crossword puzzles, like MinivanDriver here. They're a lot more cut-and-dried: for the most part, you either know a word or you don't.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 10 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,249,569 times
Love puzzle, but yes I do test well on spatial ability and logic. Worst puzzle ever though was a snow scene, just different shades of white with a little bit of blue sky and some water. One day when I'm feeling brave I want to try one of those thousand piece solid color puzzles. https://www.ebay.com/i/201671553193?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Old 11-09-2017, 09:26 AM

8,136 posts, read 7,521,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Am I the only one who ever tried to alter the puzzle pieces to make them fit?

Never did that, but I did pop my Rubik's Cube apart and put it back together again.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:29 AM

8,136 posts, read 7,521,586 times
I think puzzles are great for relaxing and are a great family activity. We put together a 3,000 piece puzzle over the summer and I bought a new one for the family for Christmas (only 1,500 this time). Ravensburger is my favorite puzzle brand.

Although as many have pointed out, the degree of enthusiasm varies within families. Our younger son (19, Psych major) only put a handful of pieces in, and our older son (22, Math major) was a driving force in getting it completed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships