Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 11:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times

Advertisements

Well it's the holiday season again so I'm sure we'll see a bunch of gifting threads pop-up here. One thing I don't understand is charitable donation gifts. About a week, week and a half ago I saw a poster commented on a thread about they are going to donate in the name of the receiver (of the gift). Then again today in a post about a gift exchange at a workplace, donations were suggested as a gift. I have to ask as someone who don't get it, why would some one give a donation in the name of a receiver as a gift for the holiday they celebrate? Am I crazy for not getting it or just missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 04:14 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
Maybe people are tired of getting useless gifts and things they don't like or need. As least with a charity you are doing some good for the charitable group and the person you are donating for.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:23 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,932,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Maybe people are tired of getting useless gifts and things they don't like or need. As least with a charity you are doing some good for the charitable group and the person you are donating for.
Yeah, that's about it. Or they just would really want people who are in actual need getting something instead of themselves. The mindset is that if the giver really wants to spend money on the receiver, the receiver is telling them something they can give them that they (the receiver) would really appreciate (someone who can benefit from the giving).

Old 11-30-2017, 04:36 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,168,625 times
I've thought about doing that because I find the whole massive gift giving thing ridiculous. I just took two days off work to go through the junk in my house. I filled up my whole car full of stuff to give to the goodwill. No more stuff please.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:37 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yeah, that's about it. Or they just would really want people who are in actual need getting something instead of themselves. The mindset is that if the giver really wants to spend money on the receiver, the receiver is telling them something they can give them that they (the receiver) would really appreciate (someone who can benefit from the giving).
In the posts I remember the receiver isn't asked where they would like the money to go or even told that they are having a donation made in their name until after it happens. Some people don't agree with the choices of another. Would a bleeding heart liberal want a donation made in their name to the NRA?

I only make donations as memorial contributions when it is listed in their obituary. I would never choose a charity or organization for someone else.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:09 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,932,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
In the posts I remember the receiver isn't asked where they would like the money to go or even told that they are having a donation made in their name until after it happens. Some people don't agree with the choices of another. Would a bleeding heart liberal want a donation made in their name to the NRA?

I only make donations as memorial contributions when it is listed in their obituary. I would never choose a charity or organization for someone else.
Oh, that is strange. If I were of the mind, I would say something like, "if you want to give me a gift this year, please makes a donation instead to ------". I'm not sure then what the deal is if people are just giving a donation instead of a gift to the person, without them giving any incentive/input. Doesn't sound like they're giving a gift then. Sounds like they're giving to charity and just putting another person's name in front of it. That's really weird. Can't explain that one. I mean it's nice that they're giving to a charity, although a lot of people do have different ideas of which ones are genuine or for an appropriate cause. That is why it's strange not to be given a direction in which charity to go for when giving that as a gift. That is just really bizarre.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

Yep, this is it. This is not a "In lieu of actual gifts, donate to Give Kids the World" situation, this is a a card or something saying thanks for contributing to say Susan G. Koman. If you don't tell me you want it, how do I know you actually want a gift of charitable donation rather than an actual gift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Oh, that is strange. If I were of the mind, I would say something like, "if you want to give me a gift this year, please makes a donation instead to ------". I'm not sure then what the deal is if people are just giving a donation instead of a gift to the person, without them giving any incentive/input. Doesn't sound like they're giving a gift then. Sounds like they're giving to charity and just putting another person's name in front of it. That's really weird. Can't explain that one. I mean it's nice that they're giving to a charity, although a lot of people do have different ideas of which ones are genuine or for an appropriate cause. That is why it's strange not to be given a direction in which charity to go for when giving that as a gift. That is just really bizarre.
This is why I ask it makes little sense to me if you don't ask or state about "In lieu of gifts..."

Old 11-30-2017, 06:22 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,553,655 times
I think giving a donation as a gift is totally dumb.

It ISN'T what I'd call a gift at all except for the recipient/s of the donation.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Give Kids the World"

This is why I ask it makes little sense to me if you don't ask or state about "In lieu of gifts..."

That is a great charity and one I would want gifts donated to for me. Yes you need to ask people if they want a gift....what? If not do they have a charity/cause they like?

They may also like something local. For me it would be the food pantry or my library.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:37 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,409,250 times
If someone wants to use money to donate to a charity instead of buying a gift for me - No problem! They are entitled to use their money how they see fit, and I am not entitled to a gift. However, don't stick my name on it and then call it a "gift".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships