Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 05:18 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Well, any light you could see from your window would technically be shining into your window. Being free of visible lighting is just not a realistic expectation in almost any kind of neighborhood where homes are relatively close.
But when the homes are that close together, it is unreasonable to have a light on the side of your house shinning all night. No matter how soft of a light you want to claim it is, with the houses close together its going to be shinning directly into the neighbor's window.

Quote:
The hyperbole comes in with suggestions that this light is more intense, directional, bigger, or harsher than the OP has ever described...that it's an open and vile nuisance...that the neighbor is massively grieved...etc.
I've never said any of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 03:01 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,685,514 times
We are going over this - some don't like having lights in their eyes and others think that it is not a valid complaint. None of us are there to SEE what we are having differing opinions about. Typical CD. This was begun a while ago, with the OP not returning lately, right? We don't even know if it was resolved.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But when the homes are that close together, it is unreasonable to have a light on the side of your house shinning all night.
If this were true, then no buildings in high-density areas like Manhattan would have lights on at night.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:45 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,067,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
If this were true, then no buildings in high-density areas like Manhattan would have lights on at night.

I'd say that logic (correct, IMHO) applies to many populated areas.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:53 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I'd say that logic (correct, IMHO) applies to many populated areas.
That it's unreasonable to have a light on all night?

Old 01-20-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
That it's unreasonable to have a light on all night?
No, I think it's unreasonable/illogical to expect "no lights" visible in a neighborhood, that "lights out" is or should be the norm.

Of course egregious examples of intense, poorly aimed lighting are exceptions.

But the idea that you should be able to have no blinds and yet look out and see no lights in a neighborhood is unreasonable.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:24 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times
Quote:

The OP and her neighbor live in the suburbs. You are talking about a completely different scenario.

People living in the city know there are going to be street lights and othere lights on at all hours of the night. Those lights had always been there, and are an expected part of living in a city. Living in the suburbs, I would not expect my neighbor to install a light on the side of her house. If the OP needs lights on, she can turn on her front porch lights, were the light is not just a few feet from someone else's window.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:38 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,957,288 times
In my area lights intruding in a neighbors house or yard are considered a "nuisance" or a "disturbance". We also have ordinances about "light pollution". Rightfully so.

My neighbor's driveway is next to my small yard and bedroom window. She installed a motion sensor light. It goes off all night and completely illimuniates my yard and my bedroom window, despite the fact that I have blinds. It lights up my yard so much, I couldn't even sit out there because it was so annoying. You cannot underestimate how annoying those stupid lights are.

I am considering filing a complaint against her.

I also have a motion detector light in my driveway. It took me all of 5 minutes to angle it down so it only lights up my driveway. I wouldn't dream of disrupting my neighbor's peace with a flashing light.

If anyone is acting like an entitled neighbor here, it's the OP.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The OP and her neighbor live in the suburbs. You are talking about a completely different scenario.

People living in the city know there are going to be street lights and othere lights on at all hours of the night. Those lights had always been there, and are an expected part of living in a city. Living in the suburbs, I would not expect my neighbor to install a light on the side of her house. If the OP needs lights on, she can turn on her front porch lights, were the light is not just a few feet from someone else's window.
Yeah I've never seen lights in the suburbs. Nope. Never.

And unfortunately none of us knows enough about the layout of the properties to fully judge the situation.

But ok...no lights in the burbs, check.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
In my area lights intruding in a neighbors house or yard are considered a "nuisance" or a "disturbance". We also have ordinances about "light pollution". Rightfully so.

My neighbor's driveway is next to my small yard and bedroom window. She installed a motion sensor light. It goes off all night and completely illimuniates my yard and my bedroom window, despite the fact that I have blinds. It lights up my yard so much, I couldn't even sit out there because it was so annoying. You cannot underestimate how annoying those stupid lights are.

I am considering filing a complaint against her.

I also have a motion detector light in my driveway. It took me all of 5 minutes to angle it down so it only lights up my driveway. I wouldn't dream of disrupting my neighbor's peace with a flashing light.

If anyone is acting like an entitled neighbor here, it's the OP.
Your situation seems very different than the OP's.

No argument here though about the OP's attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships