Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM

2,952 posts, read 5,217,225 times

Advertisements

Even on pro sports teams, sometimes there's a great player but he's quiet, not a rah-rah, back-slapping guy. He may be a captain on his hockey team.

They lead by example. So it does seem at times not everyone has to be excitable and funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 02:29 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,412,336 times
I am no comedienne, but I have these observations about life and random thoughts and people tend to find them funny. I share them with people that I trust and that I know would appreciate them. My bills are paid. I act professionally at work. I do my fair share of adulting. But life is serious enough, and sometimes depressing, so I appreciate humor whereever I can find it. But that is just me.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:33 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,025,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I am no comedienne, but I have these observations about life and random thoughts and people tend to find them funny. I share them with people that I trust and that I know would appreciate them. My bills are paid. I act professionally at work. I do my fair share of adulting. But life is serious enough, and sometimes depressing, so I appreciate humor whereever I can find it. But that is just me.
I think that's pretty typical. I think that's the kind of person most people want to associate with.

I make my spouse laugh and believe me, that is no easy feat as he seems to have gotten an extra-large helping of Scandinavian lugubriousness at birth.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:03 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,500,543 times
I would not say constantly. We all have our place in this world. I am sure there are people who appreciate your personality at times.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:11 PM

15,609 posts, read 15,747,926 times
I don't know of anyone who wants that. Of course most people would appreciate a sense of humor. But not "constantly."

Perhaps you're deemed boring because you don't have anything interesting to offer.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:22 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,207,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Even employers want someone who can provide entertainment and make people laugh.
I really want to know more about these employers. Comedy club? Geisha service?

Who are these employers that are eager for office comedians to be working out their routines around the water cooler?

Old 01-03-2018, 05:39 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,940,992 times
Quote:
I am one of those people that cannot make jokes out of the blue. I guess you could say i do not have a sense of humor. But all throughout the internet,and especially on dating sites,most men want a woman who can make them laugh. Even employers want someone who can provide entertainment and make people laugh.

If you do not,you are deemed boring. Why?

That is not my personality,but what is up with everyone wanting to be entertained and laughing constantly?
I would guess because most people are bored and want to be amused; either that or they find life difficult and like distraction that makes them feel better. Just guesses though. Maybe it's something entirely different.

I'm more like you. I have a narrow sense of humour. People probably find me boring, but then I find most other people boring from my own perspective. Laughter doesn't interest me that much but I do find humour in a lot of things, just it's not really mainstream. I have far too many things going on in my life to look for things for distraction, far too many interests and hobbies that take up my time. We laugh and joke around at work, but we're a busy place so that stuff often gets put on the back burner.

TV shows and radio programs that are suppose to be comedies really annoy the heck out of me. Sometimes I'll enjoy a movie that's a comedy but that's not too often. When I'm by myself, I'm often more in a serious state of mind and can't be bothered by that kind of nonsense. I'm not sure why we're wired differently than many other people, but that's just how we are OP.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,779,996 times
Quote:
I am one of those people that cannot make jokes out of the blue. I guess you could say i do not have a sense of humor. But all throughout the internet,and especially on dating sites,most men want a woman who can make them laugh. Even employers want someone who can provide entertainment and make people laugh.

If you do not,you are deemed boring. Why?

That is not my personality,but what is up with everyone wanting to be entertained and laughing constantly?
Because it is fun.

Laughter can make a long day or hard work more more easily borne. In the workplace a lighthearted attitude, easy going nature, and ability to crack a joke here and there smooth some of the social woes. A sense of humor is a great asset but by no mean the only one. But just because it isn't an asset you possess or value doesn't mean it has no value for others.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:52 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,922,621 times
I don't want someone who is constantly cracking jokes or needing to be the life of the party.

I do appreciate good wordplay. I find it is not only fun to be around, but sharpens my own sense of humor.

But what I really mean by a guy with a sense of humor is...someone who can see the humor in the everyday. Someone who can laugh at his own mistakes. Someone whose glass is half full. Someone who doesn't see every error as a need to seek blame or apply guilt, but as an opportunity to spin a self-deprecating story in a way that will have everyone laughing and not worry about others thinking negatively. Someone who will witness me doing something goofy and either say "That's so cute" or join in with me.

THAT'S what a sense of humor is really for.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,517,246 times
Quote:
What i mean by constantly is among family/friends,at work,etc.

It becomes too much. I cant be humorous 24/7.
Are people really wanting you to be humorous all the time? Or are they giving you feedback that you are too serious and don't seem to see humor in every day things? I don't equate humor with entertainment. Not at all. Constantly cracking jokes gets exhausting fast. I think Robin Williams and Ellen Degeneres are sometimes hilarious, but when they go on and on it gets old fast (yes, I know RW is no longer with us- apologies for the present tense). I can only take people like that in small-ish doses. That being said, I prefer to surround myself with people who can find the humor in things. There's a time to be serious, and there is the art of finding the humor in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post

Think about it like this. You crack a joke and your date doesn't laugh. Or your coworkers don't laugh. Too serious for me. Laugh a little. Smile a lot.
Totally agree with this. I am not always comfortable around people in a social setting who remain straight faced and don't seem to enjoy humor. That being said, humor is very personal and not everyone sees it the same way. My husband's family and my family are great examples. His family is always cracking jokes and they like very obvious humor. He thinks my mom lacks a sense of humor because she isn't like that. She has a much more dry sense of humor. He thinks she's too serious, I think she's a hoot. Some people love "Dumb and Dumber" kind of humor (like my husband's family) or young kids acting crass. That's not me. I find humor in other places. Humor isn't equal across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships