Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 09:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob 42 View Post
I don't like what this world is turning into, everyone just seems scared or worried about everything now. I think it's sad that it's come to this point.
It is unfortunate that people are so wary, but you have to respect those boundaries.

There IS a reason that kids and adults can't be friends, and that is because it is an unequal relationship. You can't be friends with someone when there is not a balance of power.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:57 PM

194 posts, read 143,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It is unfortunate that people are so wary, but you have to respect those boundaries.

There IS a reason that kids and adults can't be friends, and that is because it is an unequal relationship. You can't be friends with someone when there is not a balance of power.
What about hanging out with the kid AND his mom? His mom and I have become good friends.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob 42 View Post
What about hanging out with the kid AND his mom? His mom and I have become good friends.
That would be your best bet, just to avoid the appearance of impropriety. But you have to be careful about boundaries with kids.

He could get confused.

Are you a friend?
Are you a babysitter?
Are you dating his mom?

If you're hanging out with his mom hoping to get with her, you need to understand that it could be very confusing and painful for the son, who could lose yet another father figure if you and the mom stop seeing each other for whatever reason.

Just be cautious, please.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:06 PM

194 posts, read 143,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That would be your best bet, just to avoid the appearance of impropriety. But you have to be careful about boundaries with kids.

He could get confused.

Are you a friend?
Are you a babysitter?
Are you dating his mom?

If you're hanging out with his mom hoping to get with her, you need to understand that it could be very confusing and painful for the son, who could lose yet another father figure if you and the mom stop seeing each other for whatever reason.

Just be cautious, please.
I have no plans on dating her, I see her as a friend.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:15 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,574,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This. And the mom might seem nice now, but what if things change later on?

I have liability concerns regarding caring for other's children and decided long ago, not to do that, even if I was paid for babysitting. That's just me and others can disagree with it, but I have to run my life the way I see fit. Even when my daughter has play dates at our house, they are limited and she isn't allowed to have kids sleep over. Accidents can happen, things can go wrong.

Recently, there were a couple of kids in the neighborhood who would come over to our house after school and hang out; their parents didn't even know where they were. It turned into a daily habit, and I had to put a stop to it. I don't want the responsibility of parenting other people's children.

I have those same concerns. Used to be, I'd think nothing of watching a neighbor's kid, or volunteering with kids - scouts, church groups, etc.

Today? No more. I would only do things like that through an agency. If it's church, check my background - PLEASE. Many do, but not all.

It's sad, but it's the way things are now. A false allegation can ruin your world.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,511,028 times
I'm 22 and I don't think I could possible consider anybody under 17, maybe 16 a friend.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking this kid out to do stuff since you know his mom, but I don't know if he can actually be your "friend". I'm pretty much the same age as you and I don't know how I could possibly connect with an 11 year old beyond something like video games or music.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:46 AM

8,283 posts, read 8,686,584 times
The kid is too young to be your friend. The mom is too old to be your friend.

I think there is more to this story or you wouldn't have posted. I would look at you the same as I look at a Little League coach or scoutmaster that doesn't have children, very suspiciously.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,130,544 times
Not in todays world people talk and say things and the next thing you know someone is getting arrested . Grown people have to be very careful even saying hello to kids now .

Old 01-04-2018, 05:42 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,879,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The kid is too young to be your friend. The mom is too old to be your friend.

I think there is more to this story or you wouldn't have posted. I would look at you the same as I look at a Little League coach or scoutmaster that doesn't have children, very suspiciously.

Same here,thinkalot.....years ago I barely rescued my son and his best friend from a LL coach that had started giving gifts to some of the kids and had invited them to the movies with him.
He was a volunteer assistant coach in his 20's that lived at home with his mom.Local PD had some suspicions about him so I confronted him one day at the ball bark and he resigned almost immediately.
I later found out that he was serving time in another state for a violent rape of a child.
His name is Brian Devries.......now residing in California as a registered sex offender.Not afraid to put his name out there because it's a matter of public record

Old 01-04-2018, 05:53 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,548,306 times
It's not appropriate. Age appropriate relationships are important to respect. Just too many things can go wrong. Too, adults and children are in 2 different eras of life and have too little in common to have that kind of "friend" relationship. Not a good idea at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships