Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 05:36 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,470,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post

So yeah, I think you nailed it. It's power tripping.
Not always. But the lady with the burgers. PITA but she does have a right to order things the way she wants...but I'm glad I wasn't her cashier. Maybe she was ordering for some picky people she worked with Although I never knew you could order BK burgers medium or well done, lol. I figure they are raw or cooked

Last edited by ylisa7; 01-08-2018 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 06:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,056,302 times
I notice that a lot of cashiers cannot do proper change either.

Say for example that I buy an item or a handful of items that cost $10.50. Say that I only have a $20 and a $1 in my wallet....is it better for me to hand them $20, or is it better to hand them $21?.

You can tell who the smart ones are because they will hand me back a ten and the remainder of the coin change (the other $0.50 in this example). In this it's better for both of us.

Meanwhile, the dummies will try to hand me back the $1 and then desire to give me $9.50 in change using just the $20. This is bad for my wallet because then I would have five additional bills stuffed into it (a $5 and four $1's) instead of just one.

This is even worse for their register because now they've just unloaded four coveted $1 bills as well as a $5 (also kind of a small denomination) when instead they could've given me a harder-to-unload $10 and even gained a useful $1.

Better call the manager and waste their time giving you a new stack of ones! Silly.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:25 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,164,406 times
You post hit me with perfect timing.

A friend was just ranting indignantly about Republican efforts to defund education. People think that because their own household doesn't participate in public schools (either because the people are elderly or because the kids are in private school) that they shouldn't have to pay taxes toward public education.

But, yes! This is a perfect example of how sub-par education affects all society - the cashier who can't do basic math, the cleaning person who isn't accurately reading instructions, the repair man who can't write a clear bill.

Unlike you, I still give the odd change, and I let them puzzle over it. luckily for them, the electronic cash register solves the problem for them.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,632,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
+1

Several planes have crashed (like Asiana Airlines 214 in SFO) because the pilots depended on the computer, which flew the plane right into the ground.
The computer did not fly the aircraft into the ground. The crew mismanaged the aircraft's vertical profile and allowed the airspeed to decay to the point that they could not execute a successful go-around by the time they realized that they were too low and too slow. This was a pure human factors crash. The aircraft did everything it was commanded to do until the pilots tried to exceed the aircraft's capabilities.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 01-08-2018 at 07:21 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 07:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,054,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
You post hit me with perfect timing.

A friend was just ranting indignantly about Republican efforts to defund education. People think that because their own household doesn't participate in public schools (either because the people are elderly or because the kids are in private school) that they shouldn't have to pay taxes toward public education.

But, yes! This is a perfect example of how sub-par education affects all society - the cashier who can't do basic math, the cleaning person who isn't accurately reading instructions, the repair man who can't write a clear bill.

Unlike you, I still give the odd change, and I let them puzzle over it. luckily for them, the electronic cash register solves the problem for them.
There's that power thing people were just talking about.

This is not about education, but technology. It's a natural progression, and it's happening in multiple areas of society, not just cash registers and rusty math. It's not that we don't know HOW to do this math, but we don't NEED to do it as often as people used to, so we've gotten rusty. If registers that count for us went away, all cashiers would need to learn how to count change quickly just like they used to. Debit cards are also a thing now, and many people don't even use cash very often, let alone fumble with change.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 PM

666 posts, read 517,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Not always. But the lady with the burgers. PITA but she does have a right to order things the way she wants...but I'm glad I wasn't her cashier. Maybe she was ordering for some picky people she worked with Although I never knew you could order BK burgers medium or well done, lol. I figure they are raw or cooked
You can't order those burgers medium or well done, but some people are crazy and will ask for anything regardless of whether it's an option or not. The craziest incident I ever saw was at a Chinese takeout. A woman asked for chicken wings demanding that they not give her the "big part" (the drumstick-like part of the wings) because it has "too much meat." So she just wanted the tip and the middle part of the wings, not the last part.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:18 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,369,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The computer did not fly the aircraft into the ground. The crew mismanaged the aircraft's vertical profile and allowed the airspeed to decay to the point that they could not execute a successful go-around by the time they realized that they were too low and too slow. This was a pure human factors crash. The aircraft did everything it was commanded to do.
Better example would be Air France 447.

Over reliance of pilots on faulty computer data, resulting in poor, and ultimately, fatal judgement. The main pilot responsible did not have enough flying time where he was able to rely on his own skills to use common sense judgement, as well as the captain relying on the computer to fly the plane under hazardous weather conditions while he retired to rest.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:25 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,582,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
There are threads for examples over in the writing forum. Enjoy. Giggle. Contribute.
Oh, believe me, I have. Some of them are unbelievable. Funny, but sad.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:38 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,499,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I agree that they don't have math skills, but they shouldn't even need them today lol. Every big box store here, and every supermarket, is automated. They plug in what you hand them in payment, and they see the amount to be returned in change. An amount they can't seem to remember at Wegmans, because the kids keep looking at the monitor...at the till...at the monitor...at the till...
The way things work now are faaar different from the olden days. For example, take McDonalds...
They don't really cook. They take frozen patties, throw them on the grill, and remove them when a timer goes off. Then you have dispensers that evenly dispenses the same amount of condiments each time. Shakes come out of the dispensers, and that's it. No actual shaking. The assembly line aspect of it makes it more efficient and easier to do, but like with the real deal, it also makes it more unskilled vs. traditional cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
When I was young, we had to demonstrate figure aptitude for our summer jobs. We had to "count back" change, too, and I don't just mean count the change. We had cash registers. That's how customers got their change--cashiers counted forward from the amount due, taking coins and bills from the till until they reached the amount paid. Then they counted that back to the customer starting with the amount due.

Now, you get bills with coins on top, and the receipt on top of that placed in your hand. And that's why I LOVE self-checkout.
I can see this taking too long if there's peak demand. Even if 1 in 20 customers complain, it's still time saved.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:44 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,224,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I went to a big box store for a return today. I had paid with my debit and they needed to give me cash back. It was $4 and some change. So I asked the cashier if I could just give her $1 so she could give me a $5 instead.

So she took my one. Then tried to hand it back to me with the change. So I said can you trade this for a $5? She had shut the drawer (and not yet handed me the coins). Then she had to get the drawer open again. Then she got the $5 and put the change back. And shut the drawer. Then finally she got someone to open it again and I got all my change.

Several years ago I stopped trying to maximize my quarters because people were just too confused when I gave the a dime with my bills when the total change was 85 cents.

When did basic math get so hard for people?
Because technology has taken the place of the human brain as the human brain has mostly turned to mush as witnessed overall how society is these days.

Yeah, I've stumped many cashiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships