Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 02:56 PM

88,734 posts, read 85,080,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I too would have been confused as to why you were telling me that. Did you not think the cashier was going to give you back the correct change? That she didn't know how to do her job? It just seems like an odd thing to say.
Of course I didn't think the cashier was not going to give me back the correct change or didn't know how to do her job. That had nothing to do with it.

I was just making general conversation while I waited, a little "random stuff cashiers know" statement. I'm a friendly sort.

But this person who hands back change for a living apparently had never connected that one of each is the change for 59 cents. I think it was an odd thing to not understand, given that she must have done it hundreds of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
probably were staring because the couldn't believe how condescending you were-

and when you walked out of the store did you say ......left..right......left....right........
Condescending? Bit of a stretch, there. How you read "condescending" into a simple statement of fact with which one would assume a CASHIER would be familiar says something about you, doesn't it.

As I said, I just make friendly conversation to people who work in stores. I've been on the other side of the counter, and it's nice when someone is friendly rather than demanding or complaining.

And then there are people who get their rocks off being nasty on the Internet...

Old 01-07-2018, 02:59 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,263,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No, I made a return and had no choice but to take cash from the cashier. I would have preferred it to go to my card, but that wasn’t an option.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I do switch wallets from time to time based on the size of my purse. I use a larger every day wallet but sometimes on the weekend I have a need for a smaller purse. And then I use a condensed wallet.

I was extra sensitive about this cash back return since last week I had also had returns that refunded in cash. And by the time it was all said and done, I had 20 bills in my wallet (since I had previously gotten cash back and had small bills, plus $2.50 in change and my wallet was overly stuffed. So yes I didn’t want to try to stuff 10 bills in a card holder. People request certain types of change all the time. I spent 8 years as a cashier in high, school, college and a little post college. So I know what it is like.

This was a common occurrence when I was cashiering. And I told the clerk my intentions before I handed her the bill, asked for her consent and gave her a few extra sentences of background to clarify my request (the store was empty so I wasn’t inconveniencing anyone behind me).
All this for a less than 5.00 return. Way too much trouble.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,610,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Well, ya lost me. I'm not a number's person but I can think of ways to understand change making. Don't just blame cashiers. I think teachers should teach that in early elementary. Just so kids know something their parents don't.
They're too busy teaching common core math, which is way more confusing. Wait until that crop of students starts waiting manning the registers.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,610,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I get what they are saying. There are situation where you need to have quarters and so you try to get as many in your change as you can.

Years ago I did this when I had to do my laundry at a laundromat. And when the rail rapid transit system took quarters instead of the cards they have now.

I still need quarters for the parking meters in the town where I get my hair done and shop. Debit cards don't cut it in those situations.
Time for your town to join the 21st century. Even the big town in Alaska has parking meters that take credit, and presumably, debit cards.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:06 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,423,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Wow. What a tale to love to tell. After you've finished patting yourself on the back during your latest retelling of the tale of the "script screen", consider giving the person a break for flubbing their words a bit. Something I'm sure you've never done during a long day at work.
When I do "flub" things a bit, I learn, I progress, I admit the screwup and don't do it again. No mercy for those not able to think beyond the screen after three + years on the job. All I can do is chuckle and say to myself that this person has the perfect job for their skill level. Enough PC "everybody deserves a gold star" nonsense and let's call it like it is.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Time for your town to join the 21st century. Even the big town in Alaska has parking meters that take credit, and presumably, debit cards.
It's not my town, not that it matters. We only have three streets, and none of them have meters because there is only one store and it has a parking lot.

I am a little surprised also that they don't have the pay stations or the meters that take cards. It's a place known for upscale restaurants and has a theater that gets some fairly big names for concerts and shows, not some little hick town.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,957,760 times
I realize by reading these replies in this topic, we got a LOT of rude people that frequent C-D. I really get a grip on why the world is the way it is today. A lot of you are just mad you don't get things your way. I know of people that would for whatever reason get hundred dollar bills and wish to break them at gas stations when I worked at one for say $20 or under purchases. I wouldn't have change for it many times because this would be first thing when I would get on on a Friday morning. Then they would get mad at me because I couldn't break their $100 bill, like I could get more twenties out of thin air just for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I pay with cash for most things, including groceries. The cashiers I deal with can not count the money I give them, even when it is exact change. It is actually scary.

If I give the cashier a mix of bills, it will completely confuse him/her. They forget what they're counting, they separate the bills into piles (that don't make sense, btw), they shuffle and recount--it is mind-boggling.

If I use $50 dollar bills, the world comes to a complete stop. For example, if my bill is $150 and I give them 1 $50 + 4 $20s + 2 $10s, there is utter confusion. I tried to match a $50 to a $10 so that it is an even $60 so they can begin counting with an even number; however, they will take the $10 out and rearrange the bills and confuse themselves. I have taken to counting the money directly into their hand, but that only helps part of the time.

I think OP is expecting a bit much from a cashier. Cashiers aren't bank tellers.
That is confusing if it is just in a stack. If I did that, I would try and separate the bills so the cashier could take care of the counting, not worry about catching the denominations while counting. Your further action is really demeaning. I don't understand how anyone could be that mean.

As for your last point, that is true. I honestly don't get why on Debit you can get up to $100 cashback when most times the tills don't have that much excess change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I wasn't trying to imply anyone was an idiot, only that where the practice makes sense and is common, cashiers do typically know how to round up when making change. With the ubiquitousness of credit card readers, though, very few people use cash any longer, which limits opportunities to make change, which is simply a skill. People who do things routinely are typically faster and more accurate than those who do them rarely. It's not an indication that anyone is dumb, simple that they're not well-practiced.
That is true. More and more people use Debit or Credit. I do far more often. I use to use cash more often, but I rather use card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I used to cashier at a drugstore when I was 18, and the same people would come in wanting me to cash their traveler's checks. They humiliated me when I didn't know what a traveler's check was. They copped this hoity-toity attitude "oh, I can see you've never traveled abroad". The manager finally put a stop to it and told them we weren't a bank and that we wouldn't cash them anymore.
Yeah, that's customers which is my point. Customers are people at their rudest for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No, I made a return and had no choice but to take cash from the cashier. I would have preferred it to go to my card, but that wasn’t an option.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I do switch wallets from time to time based on the size of my purse. I use a larger every day wallet but sometimes on the weekend I have a need for a smaller purse. And then I use a condensed wallet.

I was extra sensitive about this cash back return since last week I had also had returns that refunded in cash. And by the time it was all said and done, I had 20 bills in my wallet (since I had previously gotten cash back and had small bills, plus $2.50 in change and my wallet was overly stuffed. So yes I didn’t want to try to stuff 10 bills in a card holder. People request certain types of change all the time. I spent 8 years as a cashier in high, school, college and a little post college. So I know what it is like.

This was a common occurrence when I was cashiering. And I told the clerk my intentions before I handed her the bill, asked for her consent and gave her a few extra sentences of background to clarify my request (the store was empty so I wasn’t inconveniencing anyone behind me).
A majority of big boxes are do that. Because debit is an electronic transfer of cash and not credit, they have to return money in one of two forms, cash or store credit (gift cards) or a return. Store credit is more often if the receipt isn't available (gift purchase, etc.) It's just the way of the world. What you did even if it worked for you wasn't communicated well enough to the cashier before they hit change. Too many are trained to look at the change on the screen, and base that for the change they administer to the customer. Sounds like you did it too late.

One question I have to ask is why if you had to make returns you went with a smaller wallet, especially if you knew it was debit purchases? If you had to make enough exchanges to leave you with 20 different bills in your wallet, why use the small one or could have you stopped into your bank to deposit some? Instead you blame the cashier for your issues in not knowing store policy and doing a bunch of returns without clearing out your cramped wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was once a cashier, and so I know that the change for .59 is one quarter, one dime, one nickel, and one penny.

I was at the grocery store and my total ended in .59, so I said, "So I get back one of each, a quarter, a dime, a nickel, and a penny." The cashier just stared at me. I said, "I used to be a cashier, so I know that's the change for .59.' Still stared and looked uncomprehending. I just let it go.
That is a bit patronizing, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I too would have been confused as to why you were telling me that. Did you not think the cashier was going to give you back the correct change? That she didn't know how to do her job? It just seems like an odd thing to say.
Exactly, it was a communication issue.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:11 PM

15,076 posts, read 10,138,424 times
I am a senior engineer on a software development team making a good, some would say high, income. I can implement some very complex algorithms that support enterprise/corporate level systems/data.

My handwriting sucks. I'm not the best at grammar or spelling. I am not very good at doing calculations in my head.

Back in college, I made money typing up hand written notes and documents. I did about 75wpm. I'm probably at 40wpm now... its not like I got less intelligent. Its just I don't do that type of work anymore.

I'm the last person to look down on a cashier. Everyone is making a living and their skill set is subject to what they do daily. Its natural for skills/knowledge to go rusty over time. There is more to a good retail worker than being able to do math in their head. Sometimes mechanization and automating things allows them to focus on other important tasks or skills more effectively.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

That is a bit patronizing, don't you think?

No. Nothing about me is remotely patronizing.

I think this is one of those instances where you and the others who are jumping on this so quick are taking it out of the context in which it was actually said. Sometimes it's hard to "see" how something is being said on the Internet.

It was not condescending, patronizing, nasty, or any other negative thing. It was a friendly statement said with a smile that the cashier simply did not understand because she does not think that closely about what she is doing, and I realized by her reaction that that was the case. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships