Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 05:13 AM

134 posts, read 192,196 times

Advertisements

I just recently in 2017 ditched a friend because every time we planned to do something she would cancel all the time, just wanting peoples stories, would you regret the choice to get rid of a friend if they were doing this????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 05:18 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
It takes a lot for me to ditch anyone. If I do, no I haven ever regretted it. Sometimes only that I didn't do it sooner. Is this someone you like to talk on the phone to or what else is there to your friendship if she always cancels plans?

Old 12-31-2017, 05:45 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,553,546 times
It also takes a lot for me to ditch someone but at the start of this year I ditched a whole bunch of friends. Why? I realized they weren't really friends. They didn't have respect for me and didn't listen to me and I was getting zero out of the relationship. I realized I didn't care about them and they me.

So I left.

I decided to devote 2017 to me and me alone and so... things really went well.
- I lost 20 lbs.
- I redid my basement
- I got my finances in order
- I found new "friends".

Don't be afraid to ditch someone.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:14 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
I just recently in 2017 ditched a friend because every time we planned to do something she would cancel all the time, just wanting peoples stories, would you regret the choice to get rid of a friend if they were doing this????

I think if she really "cancelled all the time", she was trying to ease out of the friendship herself. Real friends want to spend time with you and don't consistently cancel. I would let it go and concentrate on finding some new friends.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:30 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
I finally stopped cold a friendship which was making me very unhappy. The old friend was OCD/Aspergers and only tuned into herself and what she wanted/felt. It was like walking on eggshells around her all the time and was affecting me mentally. We only speak occasionally now and I am much happier.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:38 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
I'd consider all angles and possibilities first.

Did they offer valid excuses? Do they show interest and friendship in other ways?

Age of the friendship would be biggest consideration. Of course giving more grace to the older, well established relationship.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:33 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
It also takes a lot for me to ditch someone but at the start of this year I ditched a whole bunch of friends. Why? I realized they weren't really friends. They didn't have respect for me and didn't listen to me and I was getting zero out of the relationship. I realized I didn't care about them and they me.

So I left.

I decided to devote 2017 to me and me alone and so... things really went well.
- I lost 20 lbs.
- I redid my basement
- I got my finances in order
- I found new "friends".

Don't be afraid to ditch someone.

You know I agree with you 100%. You did the right thing.
I got rid of people too and starting in 2018 I will never give anyone any 2nd chances ever again because it's never appreciated nor learned from.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:51 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,873,466 times
I "divorced" a friend many years ago because she could not, would not show up on time or, on too many occasions, show up at all.

This was before cell phones, so there I would be sitting, sitting, sitting waiting for her to show up. After a while, I'd look for a pay phone to call and see where she was. She'd either not answer and I'd wonder if she just wasn't answering or was on the way. Finally, I'd give up and leave. Her excuse? "Well, I just didn't feel like coming" or "So-and-so stopped by and I couldn't just leave" (Why not? Didn't I have priority?)

I really enjoyed her company (WHEN I HAD her company, that is) but I realized that I just wasn't high enough on her list of priorities, that I wasn't important enough for her to show up on time.

I eased out of the friendship.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
I divorced a good friend this year. We were friends for over 10 years. She just kept devolving more and more as a human being to the point where I didn't want her around my home any longer. Her neediness, ADHD, cognitive dissonance, self obsession, neuroses, deceptions, and verbally aggressive behavior were just wearing me down to a nub. I felt like I was constantly walking in a mine field, never knowing what was going to set her off. When she snapped at my daughter I was like, no mas. Hasta la bye-bye.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I divorced a good friend this year. We were friends for over 10 years. She just kept devolving more and more as a human being to the point where I didn't want her around my home any longer. Her neediness, ADHD, cognitive dissonance, self obsession, neuroses, deceptions, and verbally aggressive behavior were just wearing me down to a nub. I felt like I was constantly walking in a mine field, never knowing what was going to set her off. When she snapped at my daughter I was like, no mas. Hasta la bye-bye.
Yes people like this should be dumped. They aren't worth it. I'd rather be alone and feel isolated, than be around people who are toxic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships