Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:04 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,634 times

Advertisements

For the past few years, I have had men make really rude and uncalled for comments about how I look. It is a strange issue that no one else I have spoken to deals with, not even people that are legitimately considered unattractive even by themselves.

I have had men at work (ages 30+) tell me to my face that I am ugly for no reason and completely out of the blue. Last month I had a coworker tell me I am a plain jane. He doesn't shower, comb his hair or clean his ears but he needed to let me know I wasn't attractive for no reason one day. I was nice and pleasant towards him, so his comment came across as an insult. He was very abusive to my work time with his constant chatter and need for attention. If my headphones were on, he would basically tap me on the shoulder to talk. I finally told my manager what he was doing and he was moved to another room.

I have been out to eat and teenage boys will yell I am ugly loud enough so I can hear it as I walk by. I noticed that they did not seem to do that to any of the other women there were plenty with varying looks. Since these are kids, I will give them a pass.

On dating websites, after sifting through the endless emails, there always seems to be the one person asking if I am transgender or just thought he would tell me I am ugly. But, I think that is unfortunately the nature of online dating.

I am legitimately not ugly. I have done some modeling work in the past I am still approached to model for photographers. I am honestly baffled why men are always trying to tell me I am ugly or extremely average for literally no reason. I have told this to some of my friends and my fiance, and they all laugh because it sounds absurd and ridiculous, but this happens to me all the time. As a matter of fact, it only seems to get worse with age.

And not to make this a male vs. female thing, but these comments only come from men. Comments like that have never come from women. I am 35 years old so I am really confused why this is still happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:11 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Photo please. I don't believe your story.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I have never posted my photo in this forum. After having my photos on dating sites and having people find me on Facebook, please understand why I don't feel comfortable with that suggestion. But what I am saying is true. I am not ugly.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Your story is baffling.

You are obviously not a troll - you have been here awhile.

You are clearly not unattractive, as you have modeled before.

Let me guess this. You dress yourself up in a way that attracts public comments from strangers - very flashy?

Otherwise, I have no idea what is going on.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I agree. I'm really struggling with this story, except she has so many posts she's not just trolling.

Something is not being said here.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I have never posted my photo in this forum. After having my photos on dating sites and having people find me on Facebook, please understand why I don't feel comfortable with that suggestion. But what I am saying is true. I am not ugly.
I agree you're not probably ugly. I would suggest you are very off-putting. Something about your appearance makes people insult you.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Your story is baffling.

You are obviously not a troll - you have been here awhile.

You are clearly not unattractive, as you have modeled before.

Let me guess this. You dress yourself up in a way that attracts public comments from strangers - very flashy?

Otherwise, I have no idea what is going on.
No, I don't dress flashy. I wear the same clothes most women wear-jeans, tops, sneakers or boots. But, there is something about my appearance that draws attention. I have very high cheekbones and small eyes since my mom is half-Japanese. But, that to me should not be an issue.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree. I'm really struggling with this story, except she has so many posts she's not just trolling.

Something is not being said here.
No, that is it. I am quiet and I keep to myself. I am also quiet pleasant especially at work. So it doesn't make sense to me either. I have been told that some men do something called "negging" which is putting a woman down to improve their chances with her sexually. I still don't understand that concept. Please note, I am not suggesting that is why all men do it. I don't know anything about it, someone told me about it.

Last edited by jabber_wocky; 02-17-2018 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
No, I don't dress flashy. I wear the same clothes most women wear-jeans, tops, sneakers or boots. But, there is something about my appearance that draws attention. I have very high cheekbones and small eyes since my mom is half-Japanese. But, that to me should not be an issue.
I'm out. No idea, sorry. You're missing some dynamic of what is going on. This wouldn't be a mystery to someone who could look at a full body picture of you, although obviously everyone understands that you don't want to post one.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:26 PM

No one believes me that is why when I tell my friends and others they laugh-people think I am making this up?

This happens to me on a regular basis. I don't believe I look off-putting, but I do look unique because of my ethnic background. I am pleasant and I am kind,but men feel the need to put me down for no reasons and out of the blue. I am not lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships