Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:33 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

I doubt talking to the parents would do any good. After all, they're the people who bought the kid his vehicle. How old is this kid, anyway? An off-road vehicle makes no sense as a kid's gift, unless the family has a rural cabin somewhere, and keeps the vehicle there. That clearly isn't the case, here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 10:32 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
Call the police. Stay away from any kind of confrontations. Too many nuts have guns. We don't want to be reading about you in the paper. Too many crappy parents who take offense regarding their snowflakes.

Too many people who are mentally/emotionally ill who look normal.

Seriously why consider talking to the parents? Are you looking for trouble?

Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,412,949 times
Call the local PD and hopefully if they are worth their while they will speak to the parents and/or the kid especially if the PD sees the kid in action.

How big is your town? If the town is small and full of longtime residents (like mine) then a good bit of people know the cops personally and will get off easy if they do something.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:18 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I doubt talking to the parents would do any good. After all, they're the people who bought the kid his vehicle. How old is this kid, anyway? An off-road vehicle makes no sense as a kid's gift, unless the family has a rural cabin somewhere, and keeps the vehicle there. That clearly isn't the case, here.
I live in a rural area and a lot of people that buy a house on an acre lot think they "need" an ATV for their property. Most of them end up driving them around the roads and trespassing on neighbors farms to ride them.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:28 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
I would call the PD. His parents probably know very well why the kid is doing. Is he wearing a helmet? Let the police deal with it. You don't know what kind of person the kids parents are, don't want to see you in neighbors from he$$ episode. What have the others in your neighborhood say about this situation?

Old 02-26-2018, 01:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Call the police. Off road vehicles like you've described are not legal on a city street. A few tickets may put a stop to this. And, keep your anonymity, why put a target on your own back.
OP just moved in...he's the new guy. The neighbors can add 2 and 2, I'm sure. They'll realize it's him, especially if nobody has ever complained before or called the cops.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:15 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Call the police. Off road vehicles like you've described are not legal on a city street. A few tickets may put a stop to this. And, keep your anonymity, why put a target on your own back.
Actually, in some locations they ARE perfectly legal on city streets. They get tagged just like a regular car or truck. This is very common in MT.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:53 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
I too wonder if he is wearing a helmet. My doctor lost his 9 year old daughter that way.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:32 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Also, arm yourself with knowledge of local noise or nuisance ordinances. The police can't do much if there are none, no matter what you want. If there are no authorities to uphold they can't take action. The neighborhood may have covenants, bylaws, or other legal restrictions on ATVs, though as a new home owner you should have a copy of such. Is there an HOA? You really need to find out where the "teeth" actually are.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:39 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Many years ago when we moved to the country, we had a piece of land that had been used by ATV's to hopscotch along the road with a minimum of actually driving ON the road. We tried to stop it, put up signs, etc. We mentioned it to our neighbors, whose great nephew was one of the riders. They told his mom and it stopped IMMEDIATELY. Of course this was early 1980's, in NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships