Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 AM

717 posts, read 558,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post

I m sure it's quite common to get that stuff at work every now and then
I was laid off from my job six months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 09:43 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Maybe because they're freaked out about you scowling the whole time?
LOL, agreed.

If this is too taxing for you, just bow out.

Amazing how much misplaced resentment can be solved so simply...but yet...

Old 02-28-2018, 09:44 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,876 times
Sounds like they want the kid to get a party including the other side of his family. Though I don't get why they don't make it for both the kids..
I think the kids know they only have one actual birthday. I had friends who has two parties due to family situations and people not wanting left out.

Just say you can't go. Suggest you meet for dinner that evening or something.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:49 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
I was laid off from my job six months ago.
I am sorry.

If you don't want to go just say no. Perhaps invite the family to your house for a home cooked meal or dessert so you get to see them while they are in town.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Sounds like they want the kid to get a party including the other side of his family. Though I don't get why they don't make it for both the kids..
I think the kids know they only have one actual birthday. I had friends who has two parties due to family situations and people not wanting left out.

Just say you can't go. Suggest you meet for dinner that evening or something.
I'm stuck on that too, and want to know more.

Is the one they do this for kind of friendless? So they do what they can to surround him with support and love? Is it likely he doesn't get much affirmation in general?

It's just so curious to me that they do this for the one child, and not for the other.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:52 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In some families it is very common to have huge birthday celebrations with all of the relatives, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Imagine if you were the family that lived out of town and your child never was able to have a party like that
I'm with this poster. There are circumstances that could warrant celebrating a child's birthday like this. Let's say you lived near a big extended family when you were younger and enjoyed having parties like this. Let's say your family still does this but you moved away. If given the opportunity, wouldn't you want your kid to experience that as well?

Does it really matter if his birthday is two months away? It is a great excuse for family to get together. If I did that, I wouldn't make it a gift grab though. Just have people show up to have a party. My family did that once for someone that moved away. We had a great time. Sometimes you can't line up someone's birthday with the time to get family together for it. Sure, if the birthday is in the summer and kids are off from school, that's easy. But if not, maybe making a road trip during the winter break (usually late February for some schools) is doable. What better time to get together?

Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 AM

717 posts, read 558,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am sorry.

If you don't want to go just say no. Perhaps invite the family to your house for a home cooked meal or dessert so you get to see them while they are in town.
Thank you.

I'll have to try to meet them somewhere else. My home isn't suitable for company.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
If you go to the party, give the kid just a card with $5 tucked in. (and only IF you can afford $5)

If that isn't good enough, then the kid is spoiled.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Without knowing anymore that what the OP has stated, I'd say if you love the family, just suck it up and do it. They wouldn't be going through the trouble if it didn't mean a lot to them, and denying a birthday party (no matter how anachronistic and silly the concept) would just be seen as mean-spirited.

And obviously, appropriately modest gifts can be given without spoiling the child.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I'm with this poster. There are circumstances that could warrant celebrating a child's birthday like this. Let's say you lived near a big extended family when you were younger and enjoyed having parties like this. Let's say your family still does this but you moved away. If given the opportunity, wouldn't you want your kid to experience that as well?

Does it really matter if his birthday is two months away? It is a great excuse for family to get together. If I did that, I wouldn't make it a gift grab though. Just have people show up to have a party. My family did that once for someone that moved away. We had a great time. Sometimes you can't line up someone's birthday with the time to get family together for it. Sure, if the birthday is in the summer and kids are off from school, that's easy. But if not, maybe making a road trip during the winter break (usually late February for some schools) is doable. What better time to get together?
Why does the family need "an excuse" to get together?

These people come from out of state, that's good enough reason to get together for extended family.

This sounds like a good way to spoil a kid and have problems later down the road, the "present" should be you get to see extended family when you visit them, not expect faux birthday parties.

When people move away from families there are some events and holidays you're going to miss, children can and should understand this.

I don't blame the OP, they also brought up a valid point about trying to fit gifts into suitcases, or having to pay extra to get them on the plane.

It looks like nothing more than a "gift grab" when you have a birthday party months away from the actual birthday, it also sends the wrong message to kids. That you get a party and gifts when you visit people.

The visit is the gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships