Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:39 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times

Advertisements

Nope. Someone actually recommended a hairdresser to me by tagging her on Facebook. I clicked on her page and saw a bunch of racist nonsense so quickly deleted the tag so none of my other friends would see the recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 07:58 AM

32,651 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I don't think I would judge without knowing what caused the outburst. Without knowing what was going on, maybe the clerk deserved to be punched in the face (or even sent to jail) and got off easy with just a dressing down. OP didn't hear the start of the conversation nor does OP know what set it off.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
^^ Doesn’t matter. No adult needs to go off on a screaming rampage and no one ever needs to resort to racial slurs. If there was a circumstance where the clerk molested the guy’s kid or killed his dog, then the police would be involved. In a hardware store, it’s far more likely that the item rang up wrong or they were out of the bracket that Mr. Hothead needed.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
No, I wouldn't want that to be a distraction in the work place, or bring about negative attention to the company.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think I would judge without knowing what caused the outburst. Without knowing what was going on, maybe the clerk deserved to be punched in the face (or even sent to jail) and got off easy with just a dressing down. OP didn't hear the start of the conversation nor does OP know what set it off.
No, there's zero excuse for going off on someone using racial slurs and degrading language. He may have had a reason to be angry and frustrated, but he's an adult and should be able to handle it as such. We are all human, and our emotions do get the best of us at times, but there has to be a line.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:01 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I would not hire such a person.

We had a plumber over the other day and he was so hateful to his helper that I'm not going to hire him again. He told this 19-year-old that he was "worthless" and couldn't do anything right and went on and on, in front of me. It was weird and uncomfortable.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:06 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I would not hire such a person.

We had a plumber over the other day and he was so hateful to his helper that I'm not going to hire him again. He told this 19-year-old that he was "worthless" and couldn't do anything right and went on and on, in front of me. It was weird and uncomfortable.
Sheesh. What a jerk. I don't blame you!

And OP, no way on earth would I hire a guy so hot headed and prejudice. That's asking for trouble.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:14 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I completely agree.

How do we know that the contractor wasn't defending the homeowner that he was working for? Maybe the supplies he got were shoddy. I've coached a lot of sports teams - and it's second nature to get angry and yell to defend your players. I would rather have a guy that gets angry to ensure that the work is done right than one who just rolls-over and ends up with poor-quality work.

And, as for the racism - the OP didn't elaborate at all on what he actually said. I know that it's "politically correct" these days to freak-out any time the race-card is used, but we have no idea what he actually said. Did he scream the "N-word" at the employee, or did he just rant about how the Chinese make crappy products?

My point is that there are 8 pages of posts on here that are making knee-jerk judgements about a guy that they know almost nothing about.

Whatever happened to "tolerance" and "innocent until proven guilty"?

Old 03-06-2018, 11:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I would definitely not hire him.

Also, this is why I love free speech. So I know who not to associate with, personally or professionally.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:44 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
My point is that there are 8 pages of posts on here that are making knee-jerk judgements about a guy that they know almost nothing about.

Whatever happened to "tolerance" and "innocent until proven guilty"?
There is nothing "knee jerk" about my answer. If I had witnessed this angry jerk going off in public, I wouldn't want anything else to do with him – regardless of the details – and I am not going to spend my time trying to determine whether he had some "valid" reason for behaving this way in public. Especially if his work had been less than remarkable and I have other options.

I'll save my tolerance and "innocent until ..." for someone else.

Last edited by CatzPaw; 03-06-2018 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships