Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times

Advertisements

There may be a reasonable explanation for why she chose that moment to replace the toilet. But the project should have been proceeded by an announcement to all the guests: "I'm sorry, but we're going to need to shut off the water to replace the toilet. So anyone who needs to use the bathroom, please do it now."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Who does that? Is this not odd behavior?
Am I wrong to be disgusted by what happened?
Would you do this to your guests and think nothing of their discomfort?
Boy, upon seeing the thread title, I couldn't wait to see what "after dinner horror" had been planned.

Seriously? I'd say it was more an ill-conceived idea that someone didn't think through.

I doubt very much your great niece and family members rubbed their hands together like Snideley Whiplash and said to each other, "We'll get them all filled up with food and coffee and then pull the toilet! The swollen guts and bursting bladders will be incredible! Ahahahahah!"

Now, really.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:27 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
There may be a reasonable explanation for why she chose that moment to replace the toilet. But the project should have been proceeded by an announcement to all the guests: "I'm sorry, but we're going to need to shut off the water to replace the toilet. So anyone who needs to use the bathroom, please do it now."
As an older woman, who sometimes needs to rush to the bathroom, esp. after a meal & multiple cups of coffee, they should have waited until the guests left or at the very minimum announced in advance "in 30 minutes we will need to turn off the water to fix the toilet, Use it now".

Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
See... this is why we don't have fancy dinner parties.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:42 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
See... this is why we don't have fancy dinner parties.
Or maybe you could have fancy dinner parties if you kept some spare toilets in the basement to use as an excuse for getting people out the house who have overstayed their welcome.

Personally, I like to shut off the electricity at the breaker box and then say "Honey! I must have forgotten to pay the electric bill again! Darn!"

But seriously, OP, there are a couple of scenarios:

The men just decided to do it at that moment "While we're here, might as well replace that toilet." Or as you say, it took longer than anticipated to replace it. Or maybe she just didn't think about it being a problem.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:46 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Or maybe you could have fancy dinner parties if you kept some spare toilets in the basement to use as an excuse for getting people out the house who have overstayed their welcome.

Personally, I like to shut off the electricity at the breaker box and then say "Honey! I must have forgotten to pay the electric bill again! Darn!"
But then you could have a romantic candlelight supper!

Nothing very romantic about a toiletless dinner party, though.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

But seriously, OP, there are a couple of scenarios:

The men just decided to do it at that moment "While we're here, might as well replace that toilet." Or as you say, it took longer than anticipated to replace it. Or maybe she just didn't think about it being a problem.
I live in the country. There's a good chance if this happened here, half the guests would just duck out behind a tree. "Time to move this party OUTSIDE!"

Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
My great niece invited several family members for dinner. She’s single and just purchased her first house.

After supper, and after guests had had several cups of coffee, my great niece’s dad and boyfriend shut down the water to the house and proceeded to replace the one and only toilet in the home.

That side of the family thought nothing of inconveniencing their guests by shutting down the toilet for hours. The replacement job didn’t go as quickly as planned. The old toilet had to be temporarily reset in place several times for the elderly guests to empty bladders and bowels.

None of us were told in advance that the toilet would not be operable during our visit. Had I be made aware of that fact, I would have declined the invitation.

I am sure it wasn't planned in advance. More like the Dad said "I'm here, let's do it". My husband is like this. He would be at my sisters house and see a faucet needed fixing and he would want to do it right away. Sometimes I have to tell him that now is not the appropriate time. Yes, you are wrong. You should have just thanked your hostess for dinner and gone home instead of fuming that this was all planned.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,136 times
Quote:
My great niece invited several family members for dinner. She’s single and just purchased her first house.

After supper, and after guests had had several cups of coffee, my great niece’s dad and boyfriend shut down the water to the house and proceeded to replace the one and only toilet in the home.

That side of the family thought nothing of inconveniencing their guests by shutting down the toilet for hours. The replacement job didn’t go as quickly as planned. The old toilet had to be temporarily reset in place several times for the elderly guests to empty bladders and bowels.

None of us were told in advance that the toilet would not be operable during our visit. Had I be made aware of that fact, I would have declined the invitation.

Only an idiot does that.
You're not wrong to be disgusted about what happened.
I would never do this to anyone visiting me NOR myself for that matter.
The dad and boyfriend are idiots.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:

Where were the women when the men were making those awesome plans, lol? How many people were there? Didn't anyone have any common sense to foresee a potential problem? Weird but with families I can see someone doing that "while they are there".

I wouldn't be disgusted about it but a learned lesson about what to possibly expect at their house. Did you speak up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships