Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 08:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

If they're the ones who say they have to get off the phone I tell them to call me back when they're ready. I won't call them back the same day unless it's really urgent or some kind of emergency that needs to be dealt with that same day.

It would depend on what the relationship is but if somebody was to always be interrupting / cutting short our conversations like that on a very regular basis I would take that as a hint that they may be impatient with me and may not want to talk to me at all. I wouldn't want to be a pest so then I would stop contacting them and leave it up to them to contact me. If I don't ever hear from them again then I know they didn't want to have any interaction with me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 08:58 PM

583 posts, read 713,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't understand this. Who calls anybody when its inconvenient to themselves? I like hearing from my kids whenever they find the time to make a call. And I call my own mother on my way home from work. She's always glad to hear from me, and when I get home I can give my full attention to those I live with.

But to answer the OP, yes, I find that type of request annoying, and no, I don't abide by them. Call me when you are free. If I'm busy, leave a message.
I am glad I am not alone about this.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:39 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Have you ever dealt with a person, whether it's your friend, family member or significant other where you two may be talking on the phone and they're the ones you tell you that they have to "go do something", yet they make it YOUR responsibility to call them back instead of them just plain calling you back? Let's say they tell you to call them back in an hour. Do you just abide by that or do you just suggest that they call you when they are done with what they are doing?! Does anyone find this annoying??
I haven't had this happen, usually it's the other person saying they will call me back. I just go on with my day and if they call me back great, if not, it's fine too. I can deal with this much better than the people who get interrupted by grown ass adults on their end and those that are flaky and don't return phone calls,

Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
That would be annoying. I'd say "feel free to call me back you're done. If I'm available, we can continue our conversation then."

And I call my mom when it's convenient for me. She always seems happy to hear from me. She doesn't call me very often, but if she does, I answer if at all possible (even if it's not convenient for me).

Old 03-24-2018, 11:03 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Almost laughed out loud with this thread. My little brother, he's actually older but smaller, won't call anybody. Always says "If you want to talk to me you have to call". Then he complains that nobody calls. I've told him thousands of times, if you want to talk, need someone to talk to, call me. But he won't. He's single, handicapped with several vertebrate missing due to injury and doesn't get around well with all of the steel in his back. Some folks are just stubborn.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Have you ever dealt with a person, whether it's your friend, family member or significant other where you two may be talking on the phone and they're the ones you tell you that they have to "go do something", yet they make it YOUR responsibility to call them back instead of them just plain calling you back? Let's say they tell you to call them back in an hour. Do you just abide by that or do you just suggest that they call you when they are done with what they are doing?! Does anyone find this annoying??
It depends on which one of you initiated the call in the first place. It makes total sense if you call them, they talk for a while then say they have to run....and tell you to call them back.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Almost laughed out loud with this thread. My little brother, he's actually older but smaller, won't call anybody. Always says "If you want to talk to me you have to call". Then he complains that nobody calls. I've told him thousands of times, if you want to talk, need someone to talk to, call me. But he won't. He's single, handicapped with several vertebrate missing due to injury and doesn't get around well with all of the steel in his back. Some folks are just stubborn.
Call him.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:17 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It depends on which one of you initiated the call in the first place. It makes total sense if you call them, they talk for a while then say they have to run....and tell you to call them back.
I agree.

On the other hand, are you kind of finished with what you have to say? Maybe this is your cue to say oh no, I'm done, good to talk to you.

If you actually have business to work through, like you need to go down a long list of who is bringing what to the camping trip, you have to connect again. But otherwise, maybe that's how they're saying I'm done talking bye.

What I hate is when people call and leave a message "hey this is ___. Call me when you get a chance". ??? If you have some really special news you want to tell, great, do it that way. If you need to know Karen's address, say hey this is _____. Do you have Karen's address? Can you send it to me or call?"

Old 03-25-2018, 07:32 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

What I hate is when people call and leave a message "hey this is ___. Call me when you get a chance". ???
What kind of message should they leave if they are just calling to chat or catch up? I'm not really very good with phone calls -- I feel i don't reach out often enough to friends/family by phone -- but if I call someone just to check in/chat, that sounds kind of like the type of message I might leave if I got their voicemail.

Would "Just calling to say hi. Call me when you get a chance" be better?

Old 03-25-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What kind of message should they leave if they are just calling to chat or catch up? I'm not really very good with phone calls -- I feel i don't reach out often enough to friends/family by phone -- but if I call someone just to check in/chat, that sounds kind of like the type of message I might leave if I got their voicemail.

Would "Just calling to say hi. Call me when you get a chance" be better?
If they are just calling to chit chat yes, that would be better.

This used to happen all the time back in the day, before the last ten years when we all got more savvy with texting. When answering machines first came out that was how people used them for some reason if they needed information - they'd just say this is ___ please give me a call I need to ask you a question. GRRR.

But I do have two friends who do that frequently even now. I get that if it's something delicate they have to ask not leaving it in a voice mail, but I'm really tired of calling wondering wow what's up and it's just that they wonder who catered that barbecue last year. (I don't recall, and I'm out running errands so I'll have to look that information up and call you a second time). I know. First world problems. ;D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships