Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:07 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times

Advertisements

It's attention seeking behavior, imo. They get off by the "keep me" comments. I'm not on FB anymore but when I used to see posts like that, I'd delete them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 11:05 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have 2 friends on FB that I have never met in IRL - one related to a friend, one related to a relative. I don't understand the having 479 FB friends - doesn't all their stuff clog up your feed something awful?
IF I had any type of "social media" account these would likely be my circumstances as well. I have a few friends (more accurately 2) in the real world, one of which I speak with once or twice a week and the other calls...or not, maybe once or twice a year. I used to call her every couple of months to check in on her and her health but usually she wouldn't return my calls until (and unless) she wanted to know about something she wasn't knowledgeable about and needed me to be her 'CliffsNotes' on topics she was either too lazy to read up on or too lazy to try and comprehend.

Meh, what do I care? I once had a younger co-worker who proclaimed she had 1,000 friends on FB. I thought that comment was SO funny that I laughed out loud after which I apologized as I hadn't meant to embarrass her.

Really, 1,000 'friends'?

WOW, that's all I can say about that matter.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:31 PM

924 posts, read 752,195 times
Reminds me of back when I used AOL IM, and one of the people on my "buddy list" would sometimes log on, and put up an "away" message saying something like "I'm pissed off and in a bad mood.....don't message me!".

I've long since lost touch with this person, have no idea if she uses Facebook, but unless she's changed over the years, I could see her being the type to do a "social media purge" and be dramatic about it.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:21 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
I have purged FB "Friends" three times but never gave heads-up. First time, I intended to close my FB account and never did. But I have re-formatted my Friends options for different reasons.

1) I joined FB to locate some long lost relatives, and old friends, I hadn't seen in decades, expecting to find at least one via FB. I also wanted to use it for nightclubs and musicians (bookings), in hopes that they are a lot better than a lot of their websites. I did "friend" a few real friends.

Not a one of those relatives is on FB (but I found them through a LOT of net surfing), and I think FB for music-related stuff is even worse than the website. So.... that was a big FAIL. I also joined during the Presidential race, so I got mighty fed up with a lot of that stuff, too, and then I made the announcement that I was quitting.

2) Instead of quitting, I found several high school classmates hoping for some real interaction and catch-up. That didn't happen. Some spend all their time playing FB games, others posted and posted about themselves but never acknowledged anything of mine, and some were just not active.

I got rid of all those classmates, too (although I have since added a couple that are responsive).

3) Next, I decided to use enclosed FB groups (politics, etc.) but I'm very tired of that, too. And I'm seriously considering just closing it because it obviously isn't for me. When I do I will give a few a heads up, while others it will not matter.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:42 AM

765 posts, read 473,978 times
[quote=Sonic_Spork;51797564]It matters to me. I don't like hurting anyone's feelings even if I don't know them. I don't view strangers as unimportant.

me too Sonic, i got all those "friends" because they somehow resonated to me and my posts, and to be totally honest, it was like the good old days, when i was young, vibrant, could hold an audience in the palm of my hand..... facebook became my way to get high on the applause, LOL .... does that sound pathetic? well....... maybe so, but If I couldn't keep up with all of them, i really felt I wasn't being a real friend. i took it very seriously. i did. it was a responsibility i didn't take lightly...... so as the years went on, if i felt i wasn't holding up my end of the friendship, and wasn't reading their posts anymore, I just would purge.... until i got down to a very manageable core of 163 people... they became like family, because all my real family is dead and gone..... but life gets complicated as you age, and little by little I really wasn't showing up on facebook regularly, i'd have whole months that just passed by... so when that whole data breach thing happened...well, the bloom was off the rose. I don't agree we have to play along and accept this new 1984 world, with Big Brother watching us like a hawk. I am of a certain age, and that book really was a scary nightmare scenario back in the 60's.... to see if become true? even more frightening and I don't feel like I have to go along with it, I feel I should thwart this intrusion as best i can.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:06 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Well I'd say that the tone I'm getting here is: Go ahead and do a "purge" if ya want, but the announcement posts do come off as attention-seeking and annoying, so no need to fool about with that.

That's kind of the direction I was leaning, but wanted to get other perspectives.

Regarding the large numbers of friends "clogging up" my newsfeed: Not really. FB has its algorithms that make it so I don't see every post by every person. And I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I get enough of what I do have an interest in that I don't feel my feed is full of annoyance.

Thing is, I see my FB page as my own space to manage. So if someone posts in such a way that I find them annoying, I will unfriend (if I really find they rub me the wrong way) or unfollow (if they just post stuff I don't care about.) I'm really not into political debate or argument of issues on my page. Just NOT. So definitely during the election cycle, I got rid of some folks. I like to keep it light, silly, funny. I mostly share/repost things that put a smile on my face, or stories about my cat, things of that nature. What was ridiculous, is that I finally unfriended and blocked my ex-husband after the divorce was final, and it wasn't because of tension between us due to the status of our non-relationship or anything, it was because of his personality, the fact that I'd post something meant to be light and fun and he'd find SOME way to turn everything into an opportunity to rant about liberals and snowflakes or something. He finally annoyed me enough that I actually, during a phone conversation, told him I didn't want to be connected on social media anymore. He took it well. Not everyone always has, but he did.

It's a little silly how some carry on about their "Free Speech" rights on web pages, as though they don't understand that the page is not a public space they own and have rights over...like yeah, you have the right to say anything you want, but maybe not HERE. And your right to say it, doesn't equal my obligation to listen to it, any more than you've a right to come stand in my living room and scream at me. People...

Old 05-07-2018, 01:13 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
It's so annoying when people post about deleting people. Then they usually post "If you can read this you made the cut, congrats!" lol okay, thanks? It just screams dramatic and wanting attention.

I know everybody on my friends list, but doesn't mean we are actually friends. I accept because it's a small town and I don't mind as long as they aren't annoying. If one day I realize I don't want to see their stuff I just delete them. Odds are they will never know anyway. I am sure people have deleted me and I have zero idea

Old 05-08-2018, 12:46 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
I only have Facebook friends that I actually know, not random people I've never met, never saw the point in that.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:51 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
I have a bunch of people on my social media that I don't know. It's mainly because I was 17 at the time and had this need to have bunch of people in my friends list in order to validate myself. However, I rarely check my accounts now, I have in the recent months because I had a BDay last month. I got a lot of love and wishes from a lot of people.

Still, I only post once or twice a year. I don't even update statuses. I just post a pic every now and then. I'm not going to "purge" everyone because I'm not active enough to care. I'm glad I'm not addicted to any of these social media apps as much as everyone else seems to be.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:25 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I've had a few people on my friends list that have made that announcement and the stupid part about it is, although I never reply , they still show up on my feed so obviously don't even do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships