Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:27 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,188,034 times

Advertisements

Anyone else? A woman I barely know who is three months along had to tell me she was pregnant, then show sonogram pics, then explain how hard it was to get pregnant, how she will be lazy since she is pregnant, etc....

I. Don't. Care.

I think she kept waiting for me to gush. I did not. Frankly, I was surprised she is pregnant - she is 46 and weighs 350 lbs. She had mentioned the trouble conceiving for years. I think mostly I couldn't believe the announcement so soon along - I assume she is high risk. Mostly I'm annoyed that she is playing the "I'm pregnant so YOU do all the work!" card at our annual summer thing we are involved in.

Your pregnancy, unless I am close to you, is of no interest to me. I also think it is none of my business. I don't comment on near strangers' pregnancy status, even when their belly knocks me over when they turn too quickly

How did our culture get to such a hyper sharing state? Modesty and manners are not such a bad thing truly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:43 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,014,228 times
Smile and say congratulations!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:47 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
Anyone else? A woman I barely know who is three months along had to tell me she was pregnant, then show sonogram pics, then explain how hard it was to get pregnant, how she will be lazy since she is pregnant, etc....

I. Don't. Care.

I think she kept waiting for me to gush. I did not. Frankly, I was surprised she is pregnant - she is 46 and weighs 350 lbs. She had mentioned the trouble conceiving for years. I think mostly I couldn't believe the announcement so soon along - I assume she is high risk. Mostly I'm annoyed that she is playing the "I'm pregnant so YOU do all the work!" card at our annual summer thing we are involved in.

Your pregnancy, unless I am close to you, is of no interest to me. I also think it is none of my business. I don't comment on near strangers' pregnancy status, even when their belly knocks me over when they turn too quickly

How did our culture get to such a hyper sharing state? Modesty and manners are not such a bad thing truly...
Not sure if every women who is expecting would demand to be on stage; but some do.

I always laugh when a woman is pg and says, "We're pregnant!". . . I've never seen a pregnant man.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:35 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,877 times
I had to overhear some oversharing when a pregnant coworker (many years ago) started talking about some kind of mucous plug...I almost barfed.

I hate when people say "oh, you don't have kids? There's still time..." Um, no...I'm glad you wanted to have kids, but not only could I not, but I've now come to be thankful for it. So, when people want to overshare, I back away...like, yay for you but I don't need to know (unless, like stated, it's someone close to me).

BTW, I'm nearly 49, if I got pregnant, I'd FREAK. So no, there is no more time!

Old 06-08-2016, 09:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Ugh. Yeah, I feel ya.

I don't think it's "our culture," though. There are and always have been those people who seek attention everywhere they go, who cannot NOT chat about mundane details with people in any waiting room.

I've seen it in elderly people who rattle off unsolicited stuff about their own medical conditions and in parents at school who are ready with a list of reasons they can't get their child to school on time, or at all. In the workplace, too, there are those who just.can't.stop.talking about their trailer park-style relationship drama.

It's more of a problem with impulse control in general. It's the reason they have so many "issues" to talk about in the first place.

Having said that, I like Zeurich's advice.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:23 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post

I. Don't. Care.

I am sure you have things you share with others which do not interest them. It is called common courtesy to respond within certain perimeters.

If she is high risk she will (hopefully) follow doctor's orders to the T. According to you she is overweight and too old. She is happy! Is it so hard to share that!

Old 06-08-2016, 09:30 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I am sure you have things you share with others which do not interest them. It is called common courtesy to respond within certain perimeters.

If she is high risk she will (hopefully) follow doctor's orders to the T. According to you she is overweight and too old. She is happy! Is it so hard to share that!
It's fine that the woman wants to share - what's interesting to me anyway, is that so many people don't consider their audience. AT ALL. Like never. It's always about them and forget you if you try to join in the conversation...very self centered behavior.

Is this that woman's problem? I have no idea - but it could be and that's why the OP is wondering, why are you sharing personal details...it's one thing to say "I'm pregnant". It's quite another to tell every detail...

Please folks, remember who you're talking to. Remember your environment. Remember the timing of your news...is this a bad time to share personal information? Is it the right place? Is this someone who will genuinely care what you're saying? If it's not right, maybe you should either cultivate that relationship or share with someone else who does care.

I'm not trying to be a jerk - but holy cow we live in a world with self centered clowns who thinks the world revolves around them...not US...just a thought...

Old 06-08-2016, 09:31 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Start talking about your dog.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,693,257 times
"I. Don't. Care."

Huh, that's exactly how I felt after reading OP's rant. What a coinkidink.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:45 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,551,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Smile and say congratulations!
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships