Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 02:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK — Nickelodeon is considering a special for its young audience about sex and love following the news that 16-year-old "Zoey 101" star Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant.

The television network has made no announcement about the future of "Zoey 101," its popular program aimed primarily at youngsters aged 9-14. Filming for the show's fourth and final season has finished, and episodes are scheduled to begin airing in February.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317669,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 15,796 times
that would be totally hilarious. u know most of the viewers who watch that show are younger than 13. my little cousin watches it. i think that it is the parents choice to educate their children in sex related themes. the tv should take no part in this whatsoever. the kids get ahead of thereselves and try to experience sex, or whatever there "TV" idol may be doing. it is not right. the kids and viewers should no nothing of this matter until the parents agree it is the right time.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
We won't be tuning in.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 AM

278 posts, read 910,208 times
As a mom of a teen who got gave birth last year, I understand their good intention, but there really isn't any way to tell a story like this without somehow fantacising the issue. A baby is a beautiful thing....but it isn't like getting a puppy for Christmas. It isn't about what you name it, how you dress it, or what nursery theme you chose. It's about a lifelong committment to a child who will grow into an individual person. This is a challenge for most financially stable adults, much less a teen kid who has no idea what they are getting themselves into. Ultimately, the adults involved have to step in, re-arrange their own lives, and face each day determined not to make this baby feel like they are a burden....when the truth it....they are. I'm really tired of the media trying to portray all this like it's a lovely life choice. It is a very hard situtation for ALL involved.

There isn't a mom to a teen mother out there who hasn't had to learn to use all the new gadgets, make bottles at midnight (again), and lose a lot of sleep and personal free time. Also, Miss Spears has financial resources that most teens do not have.

I don't care if they want to address the issue....but they need to get it straight and not fluff it all up in a happy baby ball.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Thank you ara-b. As the 40-ish mother of 3 under 8 years ... I can't imagine taking care of an infant now. Unfortunately, it's usually the adults in the teen's life that end up taking up the responsibility of a baby born to a child. You can bet they will gloss over it all. And you can also bet your sweet bippy and Ms. Spears won't be waking up every 2.5 hours around the clock feeding her baby and changing nappies .. running the vacuum cleaner to sooth a screaming child (that and running water worked for all 3 of mine). Oh the sleep deprivation ... so glad I'm done having babies and hoping that I won't have to face a pregnant teenager in the future.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 AM

690 posts, read 2,629,523 times
Quote:
but it isn't like getting a puppy for Christmas
Which is no picnic. You got a young daughter who thinks she might want a baby? Get her a puppy. My 12 year old is already having fits over having to get out of bed earlier in the morning to take the puppy outside to potty.

We won't be watching this special should it air, either.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 PM

278 posts, read 910,208 times
Beyond the moral aspects, these girls get wic, pregnancy medicare (if needed), and cash assistance/food stamps, and other financial aide in all the future years they can not provide for themselves. It's a big burden on our welfare system. I have no idea how to stop it other than to quit glorifying it.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:03 PM

165 posts, read 662,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara^bess View Post
As a mom of a teen who got gave birth last year
Did you have feelings of failure as a mother when this happened? (Not that you should.) Was abortion an option? If not, did religious beliefs preclude an abortion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV