Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:02 PM

403 posts, read 1,581,111 times

Advertisements

Nickelodeon used to be about being a kid and having lots of fun and using your imagination.

Rugrats, Ahh! Real Monsters, KaBlam!, Rocko's Modern World, Doug, Clarissa Explains it all, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Angry Beavers, All That (the original version), Ren and Stimpy, Double Dare, Gumby, GUTS, and Inspector Gadget were all very good TV shows and they were funny too.

All of these shows were on back in the 1990s and some parts of the early 2000s. I used to watch these TV shows with my grandkids, who were little children then. And a couple months ago, I was flipping through the channels, saw Nickelodeon on and wanted to watch something funny, and there was nothing on that I used to watch with my grandkids back in the 1990s.

What has happened to Nickelodeon? Everything on Nick seems to be about dating, popularity, who goes out with who, and OMG! that boy is sooo hot. And I've noticed some of the new shows on have inappropriate adult humor, a friend of mine told me that the word "hob-knocker" was used on Nick's iCarly. When I looked up the word's meaning, I was shocked!
I can't believe that what's on TV now is what kids are watching nowadays. The 1990s and early 2000s seemed to be the last era of when good shows for children were on televisions, back before all the iPhones, cell phones, iPods, text messaging, MySpace, Facebook, Yahoo, and iChat.

These new TV shows are not showing children how to be real children. Unfortanetly.

And it's not just Nickelodeon, but also Disney Channel and Cartoon Network, which, in my opinion have gone downhill and has centered around being a popstar, being a popular, and dating. Instead of using your imagination and playing and not worrying about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM

251 posts, read 767,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Nickelodeon used to be about being a kid and having lots of fun and using your imagination.

Rugrats, Ahh! Real Monsters, KaBlam!, Rocko's Modern World, Doug, Clarissa Explains it all, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Angry Beavers, All That (the original version), Ren and Stimpy, Double Dare, Gumby, GUTS, and Inspector Gadget were all very good TV shows and they were funny too.

All of these shows were on back in the 1990s and some parts of the early 2000s. I used to watch these TV shows with my grandkids, who were little children then. And a couple months ago, I was flipping through the channels, saw Nickelodeon on and wanted to watch something funny, and there was nothing on that I used to watch with my grandkids back in the 1990s.

What has happened to Nickelodeon? Everything on Nick seems to be about dating, popularity, who goes out with who, and OMG! that boy is sooo hot. And I've noticed some of the new shows on have inappropriate adult humor, a friend of mine told me that the word "hob-knocker" was used on Nick's iCarly. When I looked up the word's meaning, I was shocked!
I can't believe that what's on TV now is what kids are watching nowadays. The 1990s and early 2000s seemed to be the last era of when good shows for children were on televisions, back before all the iPhones, cell phones, iPods, text messaging, MySpace, Facebook, Yahoo, and iChat.

These new TV shows are not showing children how to be real children. Unfortanetly.

And it's not just Nickelodeon, but also Disney Channel and Cartoon Network, which, in my opinion have gone downhill and has centered around being a popstar, being a popular, and dating. Instead of using your imagination and playing and not worrying about anything.
i agree.

nickelodeon caters to the current trend and fad of what children are interested in. with the height of technology, many shows emphasize on the how the show will look as oppose to the actual storyline. of course, not all shows are like this but many are.

many shows will showcase some form of new technology -- whether it be a new cell phone or something like that. it will be a typical storyline, but add in the technology, it will be even be more interesting. of course with the internet, social networking sites will somehow incorporate itself (as you stated).

the current trend and fad seems to be innovated and new technology.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:42 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,768 times
Nickelodeon has gone downhill big time just like MTV. Both channels are just a shell of their former selves.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:29 PM

193 posts, read 534,970 times
They also got rid of the slime. What the heck?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:27 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
I used to watch all of those shows, Nick and Disney drifted from cartoons to the "teen shows" in which teens act way older than normal and that had an effect on most kids who now act as much as 5 to 10 years older than they actually are. In the 90's it wasn't uncommon to see young adults watching shows like "All That" nowadays I see 11 year old olds acting wild, 13 year olds on drugs, etc.. Not every kid acts this way but I find it appaling what some kids do.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
I thought the younger animated type shows were now on NToons - Nick cartoons. The regular main Nick channel plays the tween sitcoms. Back in the 1990s there was only one Nick channel. Now there are several.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,878 times
It's a new world with a new generation. With the exception of Double Dare, I thought all shows you mentioned were a major step down from the days of Dangermouse, Bell and Sebastian, and You Can't Do That on Television. I thought they (the shows you mentioned) were incredibly childish, clearly because I had grown out of the demographic to find Clarissa remotely interesting.

These shows, iCarly, Drake and Josh, and their ilk reflect more of a reality; kids are much more sophisticated and technologically savvy than we were at that age. These 2 shows are not designed for younger kids who still need shows to develop their imagination. That's what NickJr and arguably, NickToons is for. I think it's naive to think kids at 13 or 14 don't think about boys, dating, and being popular. The difference seems to be more in the type of humor portrayed. For example, there was a show on Nickelodeon in the early 90s called Fifteen (with a young Ryan Reynolds). All of these themes were shown, including teens kissing, dating, and occasional sexual innuendo, but it was treated seriously, not as a joke. I watched a few episodes of iCarly with my son, and while I don't particularly care much for it, don't consider it harmful. If anything, I'm impressed that he gets the themes and the ridiculousness of the episodes, and will sometimes discuss something that happened with me. I can see why a kid would find these shows funny. I think it's juvenille.

Last edited by anadyr21; 07-20-2009 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Nick was the only channel I watched as a kid. I loved Nick at Nite - watching reruns of The Patti Duke show, Green Acres and Mr. Ed were such a big deal for me. I remember when I turned 10 and my mom late stay up half a hour later and I started watching Dragnet It was a couple of years before I realized they were reruns and the shows had been canceled years before.

I wonder why the only show like 4 shows now (and I've heard that they're going to start airing Friends soon) I wish they would rerun some of those old black and white classics like the Dick Van Dyke show or Dobie Gillis...I'm having an emotional moment....television why has thou forsaken me?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:05 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,294,124 times
I grew up on Nickelodeon (80s/90s) and my kids are obsessed with Dora, Spongebob, and iCarly. I actually sit down and watch these shows with them, particularly iCarly. I think anadyr21 is right, these types of shows reflect a lot of reality in kid's actual lives outside of their mommy and daddys house and supervision. In fact I think shows like iCarly, Drake & Josh, and Declassified actually are "watered down" a bit compared to some of the stuff I know kids that age are seeing and doing. I'm not saying these shows are perfect, but really if they were more childish or prudeish wouldnt that be insulting to the kids they are trying to cater their shows to? Kids in the real world aren't having sex, doing drugs, and joining gangs because of iCarly. I'll take Miranda Cosgrove anyday of the week over Paris Hilton. I am partial to Nick in the 90s though. (Are you afraid of the Dark? was my personal fav)

Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
I like icarly - I watch it if it's on. I perfer it over Zoey 101 which was a preteen soap opera. At least with iCarly the kids are creative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV