Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,308,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Since you already had a room, you should have told her "Sure, I'll change to a room with two beds. As soon as I receive your money, I'll call the hotel and make the change. You might want to send it to me quickly. It's likely the hotel will fill up with it being graduation weekend. "
I agree......cash up front=no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 01:32 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,558,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
THis needs to go to first world problems thread.
This comment bugs me every time it comes up. Wouldn't everything posted on CD qualify?

Old 06-14-2018, 01:57 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,335,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Are you saying you should never take a relative who rips you off to court? Because they are a family member or the amount of money?

I wouldn’t take her to court over this either but I would hound the living daylights out of her. On principle, not over the amount of money. I hate people who use other people.

I’d love to hear the history of the OP and this sister. If it’s a one off thing, I’d let it go.

I would not. But I would have gifted the hotel price/stay to my sister in honor of my nephew's accomplishment and celebration.

But that's just who I am. They say I'm "special" and much beloved .

Old 06-14-2018, 02:11 PM

133 posts, read 87,997 times
Send her a Paypal or Venmo invoice....But also have a frank conversation along the lines of "we agreed to split the cost - I expect you to follow through. Can I expect payment by tomorrow (or payday or whatever). Make a specific agreement.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:30 PM

9,457 posts, read 11,211,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Since you already had a room, you should have told her "Sure, I'll change to a room with two beds. As soon as I receive your money, I'll call the hotel and make the change. You might want to send it to me quickly. It's likely the hotel will fill up with it being graduation weekend. "
Send her a copy of the bill. Next: Judge Judy.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
OP is considering taking her adult sister whose son graduated it seems from college to court to pay for $250-300.

That's a major relationship issue. Or maybe things have always been that way.

But then, why would you agree to split the cost of the room with someone you trust so little?
Good point about the relationship.

Which makes me wonder why the OP even went? Just send the nephew a check and a card.

I have a relative who is the type who would try and get out of paying, so I don't put myself in a position where I end up paying for them or charging anything on a credit card, hoping they will pay what they owe.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:39 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,677,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
My sister's son graduated and she invited me and the rest of her family. It was across the country so we all had to travel. After I made my reservation for a 3-night stay at a hotel, my sister asked me to share a room since I was going alone. She said we would split the cost, plus she needed the room for 4 nights and I would leave the 3rd night. The room was $300 just for me, king bed and all. It was 448 for a queen room with 2 queen beds for 4 nights. She claimed we would split the cost and asked me to cancel my own reservation and book one for 2 beds.

Long story short, I ended up cancelling my individual room reservation and booking the queen room with 2 queen beds like she wanted for 448 that she said we would go half on, and ended up paying for the hotel, she didn't mention anything about paying, and I asked her after the trip to pay me her half. She just said "ok" but nothing else. Why do I get the feeling I'm going to end up on Judge Judy to make her pay like she said? And it's in writing because the whole conversation about me cancelling my own reservation to book for both of us and that she agreed to split with me was on Facebook messenger and I have those screenshots.

Am I really going to end up taking this chick to court for my money or what. How would you handle this situation? It's been 2 weeks since the trip and we'd planned this all the way since March and I'm to believe she doesn't have the half she said she would? She always goes to Vegas, on cruises, Florida trips, etc. I feel like I was robbed and used just so she could have a free hotel room. I also paid for my flight and rental car that I used to drive us around for this event and she didn't even offer to pay gas but complained and insulted me about my driving. She got free rides and free hotel on me.
That says a LOT about your relationship with your sister. This chick? Seriously?

Old 06-14-2018, 03:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,703,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I agree......cash up front=no problems.
I wouldn’t pay someone up front for the hotel reservation. Most don’t require you to pay until you arrive, and then it’s just the same situation. You’ve paid someone when they make the reservation and the reservation might not be for a few months. What happens if I can’t go or if the other person can’t go? Then I have to chase the other person down to get my money back.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:04 PM

318 posts, read 468,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
If she does not pay you back, just consider skipping the birthday and Christmas presents you might have given and send a card or email note.

I would also do what janND suggested and remind her in writing. In the long run, not much you can do but it is good to find our she is not good keeping promises. Something to remember when more important things come up.
THIS !!!

Ask her for the money. Point blank. Don't beat around the bush, ask her for the money straight out and put her back against the wall. Tell her you need it now. Ask her if she is willing to ruin your relationship? You trusted her at her word and her word is not worth anything. You get it. Take it to the wall.

Assuming that you don't get it back... I would definitely quit bothering with this user. This chick, your sister, is a user and abuser. Like no Christmas or birthday gifts EVER again, until a check comes to you. And then, maybe not even if you do get it eventually.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 PM

318 posts, read 468,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I would not. But I would have gifted the hotel price/stay to my sister in honor of my nephew's accomplishment and celebration.

But that's just who I am. They say I'm "special" and much beloved .
Picklejuice,

you must be wealthy. Thousands of dollars for a lousy graduation? the average person does not have thousands to drop on these types of events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships