Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 02:51 PM

12,064 posts, read 8,467,139 times

Advertisements

I used to think that dealing with painful issues in my life meant that I would be free from the pain they had caused me and that that was health. For me I no longer believe that. I've discovered that much of what hurt me once upon a time is something that still can hurt me today. That means at some point I may need to be willing to let go no matter how justified I feel.

Being healthy psychologically doesn't mean being immune to uncomfortable feelings. I think instead it means being free to feel the full spectrum of human emotions and having a tool kit of skills for how to experience each one without harming ourselves or others. You don't get that tool kit without first having uncomfortable feelings that need to be gentled.

I don't care to bring up old hurts that I have laid to rest by whatever tools I used. It's reasonable that I can re-experience them with enough time mulling them over. Once I've done enough of that and chosen to move on it's time to say "Nighty-night."

Should I find them still nagging at me it means I'm not done with my work yet. That's all. It takes what it takes and there's no date of expiration. The goal is peace of mind and harmony with my world. I create it. Or not.

It's an odd occurrence that frequently when we have been a victim those are the most difficult to release. Seems we re-victimize ourselves over and over. Looking at it that way helps.

Wouldn't we all be magnificent pieces of work if we fretted as much about times we have been the victimizer?

With so many different personality styles what works for one person may not work for another. And don't forget to forgive yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 02:55 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
I am sure not
I already got my asbestos suit ordered
And the people that did it to me are betting heavily that there is no such place
As hell

Old 06-19-2018, 03:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,410,114 times
Regardless of what society says, there is no requirement to forgive someone. You aren't breaking any laws by not doing so. And you can't remove your hard feelings unless you find someone who can wipe out your memory bank. So I would just let it go and say, these feelings are what they are and I can't erase them so I need to learn to live with them.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:08 PM

24,729 posts, read 9,529,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting. It does mean not letting the ill will run your life.
This is pretty good.

I’d further say that forgiveness or forgetting aren’t the best distinctions, eventually one must learn to cope with it. I still have ex-girlfriends I think about or don’t forgive, but I’ve coped with it to go on with life.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:19 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,476,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, you can still feel disappointment and sadness about the past and also have forgiven that person.

I can only speak for myself. I know I've 100% forgiven a person when I can see/think about them and not have any strong negative feelings about whatever it was that made me angry with them in the first place. When, if I run into them in the store, I can exchange pleasantries and make small talk without feeling a way. I think forgiveness looks different for everyone, but I believe most people have no idea what true forgiveness is.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

I can only speak for myself. I know I've 100% forgiven a person when I can see/think about them and not have any strong negative feelings about whatever it was that made me angry with them in the first place. When, if I run into them in the store, I can exchange pleasantries and make small talk without feeling a way. I think forgiveness looks different for everyone, but I believe most people have no idea what true forgiveness is.
I don't know what you have in mind and I hope you tell us.

I can offer what forgiveness isn't. It isn't "giving the other side points to use against you." I think a lot of people look at it in this way, almost like life is a game where you never want to give in or someone might "beat" you. That viewpoint takes the possibility of forgiveness off the table completely.

Noting that moving on and forgiveness are two different things.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:42 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,476,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I don't know what you have in mind and I hope you tell us.

What do you mean?

Old 06-19-2018, 04:35 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,140,641 times
I have forgiven my husband for something so bad that it completely rocked my world and made me physically sick for over a year, but though I have forgiven him and life goes on, it still hurts me deeply when something reminds me of it.
Forgiving does not mean the cause is scrubbed from your mind. and in many cases it also does not mean that your trust is restored either.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:47 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,595,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I have forgiven my husband for something so bad that it completely rocked my world and made me physically sick for over a year, but though I have forgiven him and life goes on, it still hurts me deeply when something reminds me of it.
Forgiving does not mean the cause is scrubbed from your mind. and in many cases it also does not mean that your trust is restored either.

I definitely agree about it not meaning restored trust. It also doesn't mean continuing a relationship.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
What do you mean?
Your comment that most people have no idea what true forgiveness is. Thought maybe you'd say what you thought true forgiveness was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships