Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:28 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Eye rolls are passive aggressive. I prefer direct words.
OH - I liberally use both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 11:05 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,608,873 times
I use the "eek" one frequently, based on some of the other posts or comments I find on C-D!

Old 08-04-2018, 11:59 AM

9,191 posts, read 6,368,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I'm rolling my eyes and slapping my forehead, wondering why any one with an IQ over 42 would care about something as inane as emoji use..

What a sad society we have become when inconsequential nonsense like emoji use becomes a debatable issue..
C-D is baby boomer dependent. It is the just the demographic group this website is enmeshed in and the boomers are become crankier from the normal symptoms of old age. I am seeing more and more topics posted that are complaints about trivial matters.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,759,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Would you rather people SAID everything they thought? The emoticons do keep things a bit more civil. If emoticons/emoji trigger you then stay away from public forums would be my advice.

Frankly, if c-d were complete milquetoast I'd be gone in a second and as is, I've considered leaving after getting chastised by very subjectively militant moderators. Now, let's see if I can even say such a thing and have it not get deleted!
I've left for months (once for over a year iirc) because of this. Had a long chat with one once regarding the stupid things I was getting called out on by a single person.

It stopped. Imagine that.

I use emojis almost exclusively for my own comments.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,759,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
C-D is baby boomer dependent. It is the just the demographic group this website is enmeshed in and the boomers are become crankier from the normal symptoms of old age. I am seeing more and more topics posted that are complaints about trivial matters.
If you are unhappy here there are a lot of other forums on the Internet.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:03 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,312,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You guys to respond to my open discussion about whether something is an insult or not by insulting me?

C'mon now. Be nice.
An honest question.......in real life or online, are your feelings easily hurt?
And do you live in a big city or small town?

Old 08-04-2018, 01:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 6,368,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you are unhappy here there are a lot of other forums on the Internet.
Overall I am ambivalent at this point. The specific forums that attracted me here in the first place are still okay but C-D has quite a dichotomy between forums that have a practical and worthwhile vibe versus others that are full of super emotional nonsense like this thread as an example.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:35 PM

4,492 posts, read 3,941,743 times
I actually use emojis frequently here, but I never thought that I would be offending someone. I might use the to indicate that I'm happy about something or the to express my agreement with something someone said. I often use the in political threads because I think it would be rude to say "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard". I'll try to watch my use of emojis in the future. Or not.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:46 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,513,908 times
I like those emojis. I don't typically use them to express my contempt, although sometimes I want to. I do use the eye roll one, but often I use it to reflect on something I've shared. Maybe something that you would normally say with a smirk or a head shake (e.g., describing something stupid I did because I was so tired).

Old 08-04-2018, 02:13 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,125,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
An honest question.......in real life or online, are your feelings easily hurt?
And do you live in a big city or small town?
My sensitivity is probably moderate. My living location is NYC and SF and/or metro area of those.

Listen, I post in sports forums where it's the norm to say 'you f@ckin idiot' and 'you're the dumbest f@ck I've ever met' to other posters. And I know that's just the level/vibe of interaction there. It's all guys and most of them are young.

But when you pull that kind of insult/snark here to a random poster on CD, it's a little different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships