Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,731,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Way too sensitive, OP. You are giving him too much power.

Just keep mowing your yard and ignore him. Me, I'd give him a little friendly wave and keep mowing, but you can skip the wave if you aren't feeling neighborly.

A bit off topic, but I am in my second house that has a neighbor that gets out his mower and starts mowing when I mow my lawn. Both of those people are very nice and are good neighbors. I suspect that the sound of my mower makes them check the height of their own lawn
I think some people start mowing when neighbors are mowing so that all the noise happens in the same time span. Would you rather have 4 neighboring houses make a racket for a short time all together or would you rather hear a little less noise 4x as long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 09:28 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,057,116 times
Your neighbor has too much time on his hands and I would not engage unless he speaks in a friendly way. Just make sure you are mowing YOUR property and not an inch into his. Have you noticed where he mows on that side? Stick to that line. Some people have exaggerated property control ideas.

I had an ex-neighbor who made a big deal about a grass strip 10 inches by 20' that their lawn guy mowed even though it was my property. It was grass on the other side of my concrete driveway that I mowed unless his guy got there first. I didn't care but he made a comment about charging for his lawn guy to mow it. Haha. They are only here 6 months of the year. Some people are flaky.

I quit talking to them when they accused me of taking fruit from their backyard. As if. I for one am tired of being the friendly neighbor and other people get to be the mean one. I do head nod as acknowledgement and go about my business.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,701,884 times
Depending on your lawn care attire, your neighbor could be checking out your glutes

Old 08-21-2018, 09:46 AM

3,336 posts, read 1,829,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Depending on your lawn care attire, your neighbor could be checking out your glutes
Yes, I thought of that.
Are you wearing short shorts?
If so, stop!
If not start.
.... better yet, mow your lawn in a stripper thong and see what happens!

Old 08-21-2018, 09:49 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,883,238 times
So, in the past THREE YEARS, the guy has come out 6 or 8 times?

That's barely even a habit.

There is no way this man knows anything about what you do in your house.

Just mow your lawn and be pleasant.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:50 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,671,076 times
I have a neighbor who runs outside to stare at me every time I go into my backyard. It is really annoying.

I am not sure what you can do - maybe mow the lawn at night with a headlamp?

Old 08-21-2018, 09:50 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,781,535 times
I don't get why this bothers you? I've known several people who used to do things like this. Mostly they were bored retired folks who were looking for ANYTHING to break up their days.

Not a big deal.

OMG. Just saw this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
So, in the past THREE YEARS, the guy has come out 6 or 8 times?

That's barely even a habit.

There is no way this man knows anything about what you do in your house.

Just mow your lawn and be pleasant.
You're the fruitcake here, LOL! Should have guessed.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:04 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,403,274 times
As long as he is just standing on his porch, wave and say, 'Hi.', then ignore him.

If he has some reason to watch you because he doesn't like what you are doing, he should be the one to bring it up. Don't try to engage him coyly to bring it out of him.

This is the social contract we agreed to.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:11 AM

2,457 posts, read 3,225,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domic View Post
Also its good to be honest and ask, why are you doing this each time i cut the lawn? Although hes doing it less often than 3 months ago. It seems each time he did it he was pretending it was all a coincidence. I bet he'll tell me that if i ask.
Maybe he's making sure the sod isn't coming up where the bodies are.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:41 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,295,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edosan86 View Post
Your neighbor is definitely as a control freak. I've seen it in my own experience where people get very territorial about their property. You might want to think about doing an online background check to see if the guy has a documented violent history but in reality, you most likely have nothing to worry about. You should laugh about it and make it into a game. Get your mower going at top speed, aimed directly at his lawn and stop when you get one foot from the border. You could also consider planting shrubs on your side of the property line to effectively screen him off. I like double6's advice too.
That's a good idea, to do research on this neighbor. For all the OP knows, he took the previous owner to court or arbitration regarding something to do with property. Do this first, then consider approaching the neighbor as I suggested if there isn't something in their history which indicates you should stay away from them.

By the way, people should do this kind of check before they move in. It is easy to see online from property records the names of the owners and see if there they have issues between the neighbors in terms of legal action or violation of ordinances with the local city or township.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships