Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 04:58 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But it might not be them ordering for themselves. These might be gifts or orders from friends or family who don't know or don't have their correct address.
Ah, you're right! Glad you mentioned this!! If you do open them you may be able to tell who ordered it for the recipient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 05:30 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Sounds like the one thing that would be the most helpful would be to contact those favorite buddies of yours. I imagine that you can find them if you try. Ask their realtor. I don't know who you talked to at the post office, but try calling the main office for your city, explain the problem, and ask what they think. Your local carrier won't have any ideas. Maybe the office can look up the previous forwarding notice, and relay a message for you.

I would write them a short, cool note saying that you've been being a good person about this, but you're fed up with the time you're expending on this. Tell them that they should make sure that everyone is notified, and submit another change-of-address to the post office. And then I'd try adding that after October 31, you'll stop forwarding and just keep anything that looks interesting.

The other obvious thing would be post a sign on your door saying something like: The Smiths no longer live here; check with your office for their current address.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:30 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
"Just send it back"? That's exactly what I said I've been doing for a year, and I'm tired of making trips to the UPS store.

I've tried writing "No longer at this address" for packages delivered by USPostal Service, and they often the exact same package gets delivered to our house AGAIN.

"Why would I throw them out?" These wrong deliveries have happened multiple times weekly for over a year and I am just tired of it. Why would someone keep ordering things online and never change their home address on their shopping accounts, for a YEAR? Plus (as I said) Amazon told me to throw the packages out, so it made me think that would be the easiest solution for all the packages.
The reason the previous owners keep ordering packages to be sent to your address, is because you keep encouraging them to continue, by carrying them to the package stores. You are facilitating their behavior. Either keep the merchandise or mark the packages to be returned to the sender and they will stop doing it quickly.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:37 PM

92 posts, read 58,279 times
Put your last name on the mail box and ***** at your post office for delivering packages addressed to someone else?

Old 09-15-2018, 08:01 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
i wouldnt waste my time going anywhere, tell postman, take it back....dont care what happens to it.
a year, and your still getting packages.

i like amazons answer, use it or toss it......

i get it your doing the nice thing, about after a year.......

Old 09-15-2018, 08:52 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I think packages are like mail. I don't think you can legally open a package addressed to someone else. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Actually some thing like this happened to me in reverse. After a year of forwarding, my mom’s documents were sent to my old address. This was totally my mistake. But new owners contacted their realtor, who contacted our realtor, who contracted us via email. We got a very nice note with our mail which they included with the missent mail.
I had this happen to me as well, and it wasn't my mistake. LOL These were some small canisters to be delivered by UPS. I'd ordered things before and had had no problem with UPS delivering them, but this time my package showed delivered and it wasn't here.

So I called UPS and they tracked the package down to my old address where I hadn't lived for about 4 years. The driver had said he couldn't find my current address (?) so looked up my old address and decided I lived there instead, and that's where he decided to deliver my canisters.

That still wouldn't have been a problem except for the person who lived at my old address. I went over there and she wasn't home, but there were my canisters, sitting on the front porch waiting to be planted in. She'd looked right at the name that wasn't hers and opened the package anyway and decided to keep them. Since no one answer the door, I picked up my canisters and took them home with me, after letting the landlord know what I did.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:32 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The reason the previous owners keep ordering packages to be sent to your address, is because you keep encouraging them to continue, by carrying them to the package stores. You are facilitating their behavior.
I doubt the previous owners have continued to place orders. I'd guess the Amazon orders are "Subscribe & Save" orders. The previous owners likely subscribed for monthly deliveries of various products at some point and forgot about it. Amazon does, however, send email notifications. So, if my theory is accurate, that would mean the previous owners likely abandoned the email address associated with the Amazon account and haven't noticed the charges on their credit card. This may sound far fetched but I think it's very possible...and far more likely than the previous owners continuing to actively place orders with the wrong address.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:49 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,737 times
After a year this is ridiculous and you’ve been more than gracious and helpful. From now on I’d just open them and if it’s something I like or can use I’d keep it. If not I would place items in a box somewhere and when it’s full enough I’d donate all the items to a homeless shelter or shelter for abused women or someplace like that.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:23 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
From now on I’d just open them and if it’s something I like or can use I’d keep it.
Despite what someone at Amazon told the OP, it's illegal to open someone else's mail.

It's also illegal to throw away someone else's mail.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:10 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
I can certainly understand the OP’s frustration. At my last job, we had an apartment complex coming up adjacent and they’d address stuff to my office. We’d get deliveries of various household items (light fixtures, wiring, etc.) after the office closed and would have to spend hours trying to track down someone who would pick them up. They would often sit for weeks. We couldn’t find a way to get the delivery services to stop delivering them to us. Some of the delivery guys wouldn’t even take them back. The mailman was not the issue since he knew the workers in the building and had been on the route for a while, but the drivers of the UPS/FedEx routes did not get it. We even had huge trucks try to deliver appliances, rebar, and pipes and had to go out and yell that no, we did not want gigantic pipes out in front of the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships