Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 01:29 AM

587 posts, read 424,579 times

Advertisements

I recently overheard 2 acquaintances talk smack about me, they work with relatives of mine, so I do run into them, ever so often. They did not expect me to be in the next room.

They were saying things like I shouldn't be chewing bubble gum for my age (I'm in my early 30s) and criticized my fake tan (Although I am in California, naturally light skinned Asian), silly things.

But they were MOST triggered by my ability to travel. I am fortunate where I can travel pretty freely and at my own leisure, a different place every 2-3 months. To give context this year I have so far been to London, New York City, Seattle/ Vancouver, Paris, Amsterdam & Germany..all vacations. Last year, I vacationed to London again, Montreal, Boston, Vegas, Australia and Japan.

They were saying things like "He just went away..." in a questionable tone etc etc, that they felt that my other family members who are older than me should be vacationing more, not myself. Things of that nature.
They are both gossipy 50 something ladies.

I do cross paths with them, thus they are aware of my happenings. I get that they are envious of my traveling opportunities, but the petty things talking smack about me chewing bubble gum and me as an Asian guy self-tanning, etc, does irk me, it just shows how much I irritate them.
Again they work with relatives, so it is not like I can rattle things too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 02:17 AM

30,557 posts, read 16,251,943 times
Your irritating them doesn't mean they should irritate you.

.People are always going to talk about people. Today, you're the subject. Tomorrow, it'll be someone else.

adjust.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:18 AM

23,338 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Considering your posting history and descriptions of how you handle more "personal" affairs this stuff is really small potatoes OP.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:17 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,170,416 times
I honestly don't mind if people talk about me because it has helped me change dramatically how I interact with people. I also think it is okay for those who know me to vent about me to other people. Let them get their feelings off their chest, I say.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:53 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
I recently overheard 2 acquaintances talk smack about me, they work with relatives of mine, so I do run into them, ever so often. They did not expect me to be in the next room.

They were saying things like I shouldn't be chewing bubble gum for my age (I'm in my early 30s) and criticized my fake tan (Although I am in California, naturally light skinned Asian), silly things.

But they were MOST triggered by my ability to travel. I am fortunate where I can travel pretty freely and at my own leisure, a different place every 2-3 months. To give context this year I have so far been to London, New York City, Seattle/ Vancouver, Paris, Amsterdam & Germany..all vacations. Last year, I vacationed to London again, Montreal, Boston, Vegas, Australia and Japan.

They were saying things like "He just went away..." in a questionable tone etc etc, that they felt that my other family members who are older than me should be vacationing more, not myself. Things of that nature.

I do cross paths with them, thus they are aware of my happenings. I get that they are envious of my traveling opportunities, but the petty things talking smack about me chewing bubble gum and me as an Asian guy self-tanning, etc, does irk me, it just shows how much I irritate them.
Again they work with relatives, so it is not like I can rattle things too much.
The time to handle it was when you overheard it. Just walking into the room and looking at them without saying anything would have been good.

Probably wasn't the first time they did it, won't be the last time.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:12 AM

24,615 posts, read 10,947,984 times
Smacking bubble gum is a nasty habit at any age. If you have no other problems but getting flustered about what you heard when you were eavesdropping - time to book a vacation.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:22 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,478,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Smacking bubble gum is a nasty habit at any age. If you have no other problems but getting flustered about what you heard when you were eavesdropping - time to book a vacation.
If your gum chewing habit is noticeable enough that others comment on it, it's time to rethink it. How do they know you chew bubblegum unless you are chewing it like a child rather than an adult? If you must chew gum chew it with your mouth closed and keep it in your mouth. Not popping, snapping or blowing bubbles.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:09 AM

9,376 posts, read 6,989,562 times
Your fake tan is completely fair game IMO. Everything else is minutiae.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:40 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,395,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post

Why does this not surprise me.

I hate gossipers.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:42 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,395,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Smacking bubble gum is a nasty habit at any age. .
I agree, but I think gossiping is an even nastier habit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships