Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 02:50 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,941 times

Advertisements

How many of you have had a friend that you could consider family/been friends for years with, that has a spouse that has such an issue with you, that it could jeopardize the friendship? What have you tried to do to avoid it from destroying what you have with said friend, to the point where that friendship is beyond repair? One of my best friends who I consider a brother, has a wife that used to always be friends with me as well, but now has an issue with me. Long story short, she accused me of hooking up with someone close to her 2 years ago, and the only thing she has to back this crazy accusation up is because we were both checked in to the same bar for a band that was performing. (Ahhh, good old Facebook. ) She messaged me on Facebook about it cussing me out and then unfriended me. She also said she hated my political views, yet my views are similar to her husband's so I don't truly buy that one.

What cracks me up is that it was another friend of mine who had the idea to go! And not once did I even know her friend was at the venue, nor would I have cared! I have never done anything with this person, yet she has it in her head that I have. I have tried being the mature one in this situation, but nothing. I have given her space, tried reaching out to discuss it so that we can clear the air, and nothing works. Her husband knows I didn't do anything, and has told her to cut it out, but she refuses to listen to him. He also makes the minimal effort to nip this in the bud, and keeps telling me he wants no part of it. Normally I wouldn't care, but he lives in another state, so I don't get to see him that often. I visited him this year, and man did she make it uncomfortable for me. First day down there I was under the impression the 3 of us were getting lunch together. Yet she stormed in the house, took their daughter with her, and told my friend she was getting lunch with the baby, and that my presence ruined her day. She would call him and start fights with him cutting our nights short on the days we had planned to hangout, and even worse, made him cancel two of the days we planned to go to the beach and amusement park.

We keep in touch on the phone, but it's getting harder to do that now too. He only calls me if he is home by himself, or from his car if he is driving alone. If his wife is home, I can hear her making nasty remarks to both me and him, and he tells me he will have to call me later. Or he won't answer and will text me that he will call me when he's by himself. This guy is like a brother to me, but I honestly don't see this getting any better. I wish he would do more about this, yet he won't. You'd think his wife would be a bit more mature about this seeing as she is the mother of a 2 year old, but I guess even getting married and having kids doesn't always do that for people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 03:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Marriage means putting your spouse first. Your friends come second. If you cannot put your spouse first, don't get married.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:05 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
I am not 100% with Priscilla here. Personally, I would not be ok with my spouse directing my friendship. As for your friend, OP, I would not choose to be friends with a spineless weasle.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:13 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Marriage means putting your spouse first. Your friends come second. If you cannot put your spouse first, don't get married.
It's not such a black and white issue here. Wife sounds like a nutjob.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:21 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
Quote:
Mmmm....I don't agree.

The wife's behavior is irrational and crossing the line. If people are going to play positions, the wife needs to play hers correctly and stop trying to control her husband's friendships.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Mmmm....I don't agree.

The wife's behavior is irrational and crossing the line. If people are going to play positions, the wife needs to play hers correctly and stop trying to control her husband's friendships.
Yes.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
There is probably a reason they wife doesn't like the friend. A reason we aren't really being told here.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
PV is right.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
There is probably a reason they wife doesn't like the friend. A reason we aren't really being told here.
Not necessarily. I have known some pretty serious control freaks in my time. A buddy of mine is getting divorced from one.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:22 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. But rather than speculate about a bunch of "what ifs", we have the information the OP has provided to go on. And it sounds like the OP's friend has found himself in an unhealthy relationship dynamic. See Red Flag #1

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...is-controlling

Last edited by Jowel; 09-23-2019 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships