Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 11:10 PM

612 posts, read 1,513,504 times

Advertisements

My guy friend was messing up with me and I was doing the same, but seems like he didn't like it. I have a habit of sleeping super early and waking up early and he always makes fun of me calling me an infant. He has done this multiple times. Whereas he sleeps very late at night and keeps texting with girls. So to make fun of him too, I jokingly said - night owl, hope you are having fun texting late at night.

Seems like he didn't like it, he said "I don't know what you think of me but whatever". I just wanted to apologize if I offended him and not talk about it again.

Does this sound ok - "Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt/offend you. Was just messing up with you"?
Asking since english is not my first language and I don't want to spoil our friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 03:01 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Wait, what? He spends late nights texting other women, but YOU want to apologize to him?!

Sorry, there are no words in the English language for that, lol.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:42 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
OPtismisticStar does quite well with the english language. So the word I would confer to is:
ridiculous!

I recall being told, we only need clean up our side of the street. Meaning, step up to the part a person played in the dialogue. Well good thing I stopped listening to that misguided undertaking.

This Person was chiding you , and I'm sure it was un-nerving to be demeaned. So you reciprocated.

My advice is to NOT apologize first. Instead feed HIM bread crumbs of ...."Hmmmm...and I'll think about it " .
I have yet to meet a man yet that ever has said he was hurt by what I said. They just don't direct their emotions or concerns in such a manner. Most times it comes out though ....in a Hey! Lets not go there fashion ...which usually means I need to look at how I may had been the cause of their "shut down" mode.

Has this friend of yours been given a mirror to see how his words came off?

Old 10-06-2019, 04:13 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
He calls you an infant, but got offended when you call him a night owl? Really? Being called an infant is worse than night owl.

Then to cap it off with "I don't know what you think of me, but whatever." How manipulative.

He should be the one apologizing.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:49 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
I think we need to know--is he your boyfriend, as in you're involved romantically, or is he just a friend? "Guy friend" could mean a lot of things.

Short English lesson, in the spirit of trying to help: If someone wants to say they were joking, they use the words "I was messing with you." (Though, truthfully, only very young English speakers say this. It's very much youth slang.)
We don't say "messing up with you." "Messing up" means you're making mistakes. Here's an example:
"I am trying to knit a blanket, but I keep messing up."
"Messing with" (notice the word up is gone) means to joke around with. Older people using this slang say "I was messing around with you." Only in the past few years have younger people dropped the around part of the phrase.

I know, there's no logic to any of it. The word "mess" itself has several meanings. Sorry English is the most nonsensical language! I admire anyone who learns as much of it as you have.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wait, what? He spends late nights texting other women, but YOU want to apologize to him?!

Lol. Yeah he does, but he is not my boyfriend. I just don't like making anyone upset, so just wanted to apologize and then stay away from making fun of him. This however has affected how our friendship would be going further coz as per him he can make fun of me, but he doesn't like it if I do the same thing.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
OPtismisticStar does quite well with the english language. So the word I would confer to is:
ridiculous!

I recall being told, we only need clean up our side of the street. Meaning, step up to the part a person played in the dialogue. Well good thing I stopped listening to that misguided undertaking.

This Person was chiding you , and I'm sure it was un-nerving to be demeaned. So you reciprocated.

My advice is to NOT apologize first. Instead feed HIM bread crumbs of ...."Hmmmm...and I'll think about it " .
I have yet to meet a man yet that ever has said he was hurt by what I said. They just don't direct their emotions or concerns in such a manner. Most times it comes out though ....in a Hey! Lets not go there fashion ...which usually means I need to look at how I may had been the cause of their "shut down" mode.

Has this friend of yours been given a mirror to see how his words came off?
He is not a close friend and just know him since a year. His this behavior seemed a bit childish/immature to me. I just wanted to apologize since I don't like upsetting anyone, but definitely affected our friendship. Might not be as friendly with him as I used to.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
He calls you an infant, but got offended when you call him a night owl? Really? Being called an infant is worse than night owl.

Then to cap it off with "I don't know what you think of me, but whatever." How manipulative.

He should be the one apologizing.
I didn't like "but whatever" part of it. I have limited my friendship with him after this.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I think we need to know--is he your boyfriend, as in you're involved romantically, or is he just a friend? "Guy friend" could mean a lot of things.

Short English lesson, in the spirit of trying to help: If someone wants to say they were joking, they use the words "I was messing with you." (Though, truthfully, only very young English speakers say this. It's very much youth slang.)
We don't say "messing up with you." "Messing up" means you're making mistakes. Here's an example:
"I am trying to knit a blanket, but I keep messing up."
"Messing with" (notice the word up is gone) means to joke around with. Older people using this slang say "I was messing around with you." Only in the past few years have younger people dropped the around part of the phrase.

I know, there's no logic to any of it. The word "mess" itself has several meanings. Sorry English is the most nonsensical language! I admire anyone who learns as much of it as you have.
He is just a friend. Nothing romantic between us.

Haha yeah, I always use "messing up" instead of "messing with" or "messing around".

Old 10-07-2019, 01:42 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I think these two are JUST platonic friends...right OP?

English NOT being her first language, she's not sure how to proceed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships