Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 08:43 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,125,461 times

Advertisements

My twin sister. She is a wonderful person with many great qualities. She is a dedicated CPA who works tirelessly for her company. She is a kind and caring person. She spends a small fortune on rescue animals.

Her addiction is cigarettes. She is a chain smoker. This has been going on for 25 years. It is hard to be around her because of the constant smoking. Do not even get me started on what it is like riding in the car with her. The chain smoking impacts her relationships with others and she refuses to quit smoking.

She was just diagnosed with mild to moderate COPD. She blames it on her allergies. Seriously.

It pains me to watch her continue to harm her body in this manner. My grandmother was a smoker who died from lung cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 09:46 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,071,757 times
For my family, the addictive substance is "food". No kidding, I lost an older sister from kidney failure and diabetes, due to years of untreated high blood pressure from being overweight her whole life, I've often thought of it as "suicide by spoon". In "Million Dollar Baby", the main character said "Trouble comes by the pound" in her family. I knew just where she was coming from, but have put up a pretty good fight on my own front. If I didn't watch myself, I could easily be a "three hundred pounder", but am currently holding the line at only two.

You know that chocolate mousse at Jason's deli? Well, if you slather it over the sliced apples, it's probably the best tasting thing you've ever put in your pie-hole, and yeah, I'm addicted. And that's from eating at a place with a salad bar, while trying to eat more healthily! Addictions come in many shapes and sizes, that's for sure.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 224 times
If you choose to understand and believe in a Spiritual lifestyle, there is a "generational curse" spirit that can and will flow through the family lines if not acknowledged and abolished. The solution to this evil spirit is began by a "breaking the cycle" prayer and further education and knowledge of this spirit is needed. Anyone who has lived in recovery communities will understand what I am saying. The addiction spirit can and will come in many, many forms.....I personally have a family full of addictive personalities in many areas of addiction....one is no different than the other. I hope this helps you to understand your situation and allows you to process the misunderstanding better...

In Christ,
Prov.3:5-6

Old 10-11-2019, 06:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
One of my brothers is considered "a chronic user" of pot. He's an everyday, multiple times a day user, but it hasn't messed up his life at all.

He's married with a grown son, and managed to put his son into a good college, nice house, good relationships with family...all the good stuff.

He's the only example of family that comes close to having addiction issues, that I can think of. And...he doesn't really have issues. lol
My fiance is addicted to pot. He smokes everyday, several times a day. It's one reason he wants to move West, other than a desire to live in the desert. He works as a framer, and most of his coworkers also use pot on a daily basis. When I told him Nevada had legalized recreational marijuana, he immediately started talking about moving there. Now he's stuck on SoCal - namely, the inland empire. We've found cheap fixer upper properties there though our plan now is to buy an rv first, then get a plot of desert land to build a cabin on in the future.

A lot of his family have overdosed from narcotics since we've been together (6 years). His half sister lives in a tent with her bf; they both smoke Meth.

As for other addictions, there have been close family members of mine who abused cocaine (an aunt OD'd from it 31 years ago), crack, Meth, and especially alcohol. Most of the older ones smoke heavily (I had a cousin who died at 50 from throat cancer). I don't mind pot, but hard drugs & alcoholism are not habits I want around me.

I think one reason I want to put as much distance between my family and me is the ongoing hard drinking and begging for money to keep up that drunken lifestyle. I tried helping my mom years ago but all I did was waste my time and money. Same with my brother. He even paid her gas bill last year & she still owes him a few hundred dollars. She and her husband would rather get drunk than stay warm, I guess. As for my 'father', I don't communicate with him at all. He made his choices back in the 70s.

Last edited by Screenwriter70; 10-11-2019 at 06:19 PM..

Old 10-13-2019, 10:25 AM

88,606 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Brother in the cemetery (hep C-caused cirrhosis from long-ago heroin use).

Sister, probably alcoholic, quit drinking when diagnosed with liver disease, although she didn't seek any treatment.

Ex-husband, alcoholic, probably undiagnosed bipolar, compulsive gambler, plus drugs--prescription and non--along the way, although he seems to have gotten away from that. Still drinks.

Daughter, alcoholic, in recovery, diagnosed bipolar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships