Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 08:07 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times

Advertisements

I know some may disagree. Anyone else do this. I think if there's a valid reason for doing so, then it's their right.

Recently, I was diagnosed by a cardiologist with borderline concentric LVH (left ventricular hypertrophy). It can increase the risks of a heart attack or stroke.

My mom preaches about eating right like she's a medical expert and how all these chemicals are so bad to our health. She'll preach to anyone that'll listen to her. And no, she doesn't have a degree in the medical/health field. She seems to think medical aliments including cancer, diabetes, diseases etc. is related to not eating properly. She literally spend hours listening to these Quackers on YouTube giving out misleading medical advice.

I've seen people that seem to eat healthy and still get cancer, diabetes etc. She's completely ignorant to the fact sometime certain conditions is genetic or predisposed in getting the condition.

If I told her that I have LVH, it would just give her another thing to worry about and blame me for not eating properly. I was born with a heart murmur that was repaired at a young age. Then recently, developing another heart issue. I don't know if the 2 conditions are related.

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 10-20-2019 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 08:52 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
No, as an adult you don't have to share your health issues with your mother if you choose not to. Certainly your cardiologist has told you that a healthy diet and regular exercise can keep the symptoms of LVH from worsening. So, maybe Mom does know best?

Old 10-20-2019, 09:28 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I assume you are going to do everything you can to change your lifestyle to be healthy...why would you want to hide that from people who care about you and could support you? You are not a naughty child so no need to act like it.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Borderline, eh? I agree with you that you should not say anything to your mom. There's no point in burdening her with extra things to be anxious about when your borderline condition might never amount to anything anyway. From the sounds of things she probably already has more than enough worries on her plate and that kind of additional mental stress can kill a person. You're a grown up, independent adult so just keep it to yourself and focus on taking personal responsibility for improving your health and eating habits without her worrying about you and feeling like she needs to prompt you to look after yourself.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:15 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
No, as an adult you don't have to share your health issues with your mother if you choose not to. Certainly your cardiologist has told you that a healthy diet and regular exercise can keep the symptoms of LVH from worsening. So, maybe Mom does know best?
The thing is I already do eat healthy most days and can do limited, non-strenuous exercise like walking. I’m not able to run or ride a bike well. Always been that way even as kid. Being born with a heart murmur can affect physical activity. My mom is a vegan and constantly tells the family how bad meat, dairy and oils are. She even got mad when my brother’s wife fed their kid a hot dog.

I actually stopped being a mother’s helper to a family because literally every morning for breakfast, the kids would eat those Little muffin bites. That’s what the mom told me to feed them. I became disgusted by it. Both parents are obese. And one of their kids was just too hyperactive for me to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I assume you are going to do everything you can to change your lifestyle to be healthy...why would you want to hide that from people who care about you and could support you? You are not a naughty child so no need to act like it.
‘cause noone wants to be preached at about what they’re already doing or disagree with. My siblings thinks she has a problem with it as well so it’s not just me. It’s one thing to bring up the conversation occasionally and respect other people’s eating habits. It doesn’t do anyone good to compulsively worrying about what they can’t control. My mom “lives to eat” Her life revolves around food and how not to die. I “eat to live”. There’s a difference in those 2 statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Borderline, eh? I agree with you that you should not say anything to your mom. There's no point in burdening her with extra things to be anxious about when your borderline condition might never amount to anything anyway. From the sounds of things she probably already has more than enough worries on her plate and that kind of additional mental stress can kill a person. You're a grown up, independent adult so just keep it to yourself and focus on taking personal responsibility for improving your health and eating habits without her worrying about you and feeling like she needs to prompt you to look after yourself.
Exactly. I’m sure my mom wouldn’t like it and probably would be downright hurtful if I told her if she would of ate better while being pregnant with me, I wouldn’t of been born with health problems.

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 10-21-2019 at 05:27 AM..

Old 10-21-2019, 06:08 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
When a friend of mine found a new lump in her chest, after having been treated for breast cancer several years ago and had a mastectomy, she said, "I just don't know what I've done wrong."

This is a woman who has been a professional fitness trainer for decades, teaches fitness classes and has been a marathon bike rider for several years. She eats healthy most of the time -- has the occasional binge like the rest of us but I would say she mostly eats fruits and veggies with some meat. I say this only to point out that cancer or any illness can strike people who DO live healthy lifestyles.

Another friend of mine went through breast cancer about 6 years ago and said the same thing.

All of these comments about health and lifestyle, while they have some merit, really do nothing but shame people for being responsible for getting sick. I mean, if someone gets a devastating diagnosis, i can certainly see why they'd be afraid to tell people who are lifestyle "preachers."

Old 10-22-2019, 09:02 AM

271 posts, read 248,082 times
I wouldn't tell my mother either. Keep it to yourself. No need to "freak" mom out that would cause her to lecture you about your health and eating habits. Just take care of yourself and follow doctors orders and have a happy life.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:05 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I would not worry her either. No need to worry mom if this condition hopefully never shows.

However, just for yourself - eat and live healthy, do the best you can for yourself.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:20 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
No need to tell your mother your personal business. As an adult, you can manage your condition with the help of your doctor.

If informing your mother would cause her to harp on the issue, the stress could be harmful to both you and your mother.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:23 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
You are under zero obligation to share personal health info with anyone - no matter what the reason. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships