Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 11:04 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times

Advertisements

A dear friend in his mid 70s, divorced, has developed a crush on his doctor. He's mentioned her before. She is mid-30s, married with small kids. I Men of all ages often misread friendliness from women they are attracted to as something more. It's kind of sad. He lives in another city so we email. Should I just ignore it when he mentions her?

"She is the most desirable woman I know and we are both attracted strongly. Our eyes smile at each other all the time and never lose contact for a moment - the body language is intense. As I left she put out her hand to shake, which I did of course. No doctor ever before, male or female has done that."

Old 10-25-2019, 11:29 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,560 times
Meh, my vote is to let him have it. He sounds lonely, and it probably makes his day.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:52 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
You could try this as a response:

"Actually, I've had many doctors shake my hand. It doesn't mean anything other than a polite greeting. And I don't know if your doctor is attracted to you or not, but do you really think it's proper to encourage a married woman with children to be looking lustfully at other men? Surely I know that you are better than that."

Fantasies are all well and good, but his fantasy could lead him to act inappropriately towards his doctor, with potentially unpleasant results for all concerned. You'd be doing him a favor by gently talking him out of it.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:57 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

"Actually, I've had many doctors shake my hand. It doesn't mean anything other than a polite greeting. And I don't know if your doctor is attracted to you or not, but do you really think it's proper to encourage a married woman with children to be looking lustfully at other men? Surely I know that you are better than that."

Fantasies are all well and good, but his fantasy could lead him to act inappropriately towards his doctor, with potentially unpleasant results for all concerned. You'd be doing him a favor by gently talking him out of it.
I agree with this approach. Otherwise, he might be taking OPs silence as agreement.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:06 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,238,477 times
It's unethical to get involved with patients.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:07 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Tell him only scumbags hit on married women

Old 10-25-2019, 12:08 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Yes, I think his doctor wouldn't be impressed if he made a pass at her.

She's in her 30's and married with kids, he's in his 70's. I think I'd quietly discourage him and if he still thinks they have "something" going, then tell him to let HER make the first move.

I have a female friend who (when she was in her 40's) who is very friendly and chatty, all smiles. I guess some men and some women, would think of her as flirty.

That's just her, but an older (and married) man friend that we both know, pulled her to him and kissed her when they were alone for a few moments one night. She was mortified and he was embarrassed.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:31 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
It's doubtful you'll be able to convince your friend that his Dr. is merely being friendly. If he's mentioned her several times and said the things you're saying here, he's convinced that it's more than friendship. Personally, I would tell him that if he thinks this is "real" then he should ask his Dr. point blank if there is a possibility of a relationship, before he goes and does something dumb like attempt to kiss her on his next visit and get charged with sexual harassment.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:49 PM

161 posts, read 102,431 times
He sounds delusional! I highly doubt a married woman in her 30s is lusting after grandpa...... I would say something like "how can you be sure she's attracted to you..... If she's married with kids it's very unlikely, especially given you're the huge age gap between you"

Old 10-25-2019, 02:40 PM

757 posts, read 837,874 times
This is creepy and may well not have a good outcome. The old dude might find himself in big trouble if he isn't very careful. This is a "metoo" world now. He should find another doctor. Prison medicine isn't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships