Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 01:09 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times

Advertisements

Trunk or treating only works for younger children and sounds like it'll get boring really quickly and it sounds more like a carnival. As they get older, they'll be more aware of their surroundings and see other kids or hear their friends go trick or treating and want to do the same thing.

I'd say give your children the traditional trick or treating. It's a lot of fun, especially for those who decorate their front yards and are happy to pass out candy and you run into other kids and parents doing the same thing. It's a fun community atmosphere. For parents, it's also a lot more fun than being stuck in a parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 02:31 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
IMHO much of the tradition behind roaming your neighborhood on Halloween is lost with trunk or treating. Modern day logistics aside, grabbing as much candy as possible with the least amount of effort wasn't the intent.

https://www.livescience.com/40596-hi...halloween.html

Any adventurous ghouls or goblins who take the trouble to reach my front door will be cheerfully welcomed.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
I say live and let live. Trunk or Treat doesn't bother me in any way.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:18 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Halloween around here starts at the end of September. When you go into Walmart or the grocery store, you're met in the entry way by goulish, horrible looking things. Axe murderers, skeletons, rats, people with half their faces chopped off, the undead, tormented howls, the sound of screaming cats, corpses hanging from trees in yards, etc.

Gads. I hate it. Just so ghoulish and violent.

For a whole damn month.
I can't rep you again (I agree with many of your posts here on CD) but I agree about the ghoulishness. I've often said that if Halloween had never existed, but I started trying to promote a holiday idea for children that I have, which includes things like skeletons, bloody monsters, the Grim Reaper, coffins, etc....everyone would think I was a sicko who should be locked away.

Now I realize a lot of kids costumes are very cute and innocent, and I do enjoy that aspect. It's the gory, creepy stuff that disturbs me.

But aside from all that, the amount of candy that kids get these days is awful, with the multiple days of celebrating. I feel like I am contributing to childhood obesity and diabetes when I hand out pounds and pounds of sugary junk. Some years I do, some I don't.

Signed,
A Halloween Scrooge

Old 10-28-2019, 07:23 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,683,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
All Saints Day has been celebrated on Nov. 1 for centuries. I doubt that reasoning is correct. Besides, who stays home for All Saints Day?

Sorry. It didn't really make sense without explanation.
It didn't make sense to you and some other people maybe. Some others definitely got it though.

People don't normally stay at home for All Saint's Day because it is not a special enough day to most people. I suggested that day off because usually, if people like to drink (too much), they'll do it on the holiday (Halloween) itself whether it falls on a weekend or not.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:51 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
When I was a kid in the 60s, the kids who went to Catholic school had All Saint’s Day as a holiday. Always frosted us public school kids who couldn’t stay out as late on Halloween as they did.

Someone above said we haven’t screwed up Thanksgiving yet. Not so sure about that, when stores open in the afternoon for pre-Black Friday sales and serving time for dinner must be carefully coordinated with half time of an NFL game on TV.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:05 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
I have an 85 year old neighbor who heard about trunk or treating for Halloween. He doesn't like the idea. He likes seeing the kids dressed up and he's not taking his wife out in all the Halloween traffic in town to watch them.
I live in a town of 10,000, but parents of county kids bring them to town to trick or treat. Hours here are from 4-7 but sometimes have some kids coming around till almost 7:30. I bought two bags of candy totaling a little over 700 pieces. giving out 2 pieces per youngster, starting a little after 4, I'll run out by 6:30 at the latest.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:30 AM

330 posts, read 178,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
It didn't make sense to you and some other people maybe. Some others definitely got it though.

People don't normally stay at home for All Saint's Day because it is not a special enough day to most people. I suggested that day off because usually, if people like to drink (too much), they'll do it on the holiday (Halloween) itself whether it falls on a weekend or not.
I grew up and live in a blue-collar drinking environment and I don't recall ever seeing anybody drunk around my neighborhood on a weekday Halloween night.

Halloween parties on the weekend, yeah.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:31 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I have an 85 year old neighbor who heard about trunk or treating for Halloween. He doesn't like the idea. He likes seeing the kids dressed up and he's not taking his wife out in all the Halloween traffic in town to watch them.
I live in a town of 10,000, but parents of county kids bring them to town to trick or treat. Hours here are from 4-7 but sometimes have some kids coming around till almost 7:30. I bought two bags of candy totaling a little over 700 pieces. giving out 2 pieces per youngster, starting a little after 4, I'll run out by 6:30 at the latest.
I agree with liking to see the kids dressed up as well. Oddly enough, in this town it's the downtown historic area where most of the houses are really decorated and people take their kids around to trick or treat. The suburban neighborhoods tend much more to hold the "trunk or treat" events, but that is due, I think, to the churches holding them. There is a huge Baptist influence here and it seems they feel that candy from a trunk is less likely to be demonic, lol.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:55 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
I have mixed feelings and I just participated in a church Trunk or Treat Sunday. I'm not that thrilled about handing out junky food to kids who don't need it and I've always felt that way. Spread it out over several Trunk or Treat events instead of just one night and now they've got multiple chances to load up on junk food and they don't even have to walk between houses or up/down driveways. It's not helping with the childhood obesity epidemic.

I'm also not thrilled in general with parents taking their kids in cars to multiple neighborhoods. I live in a small lake community in which the surrounding area has poorer demographics and there aren't many kids in the neighborhood- till Halloween. I have to say that last year every single one of the kids said "Thank you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships