Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I am not a fan of trunk or treats because they are a major source of division and controversy/hurt feelings at my church
Why? Is it because of the differences in opinion over whether or not Halloween has pagan elements?

I agree on Thanksgiving getting lost here. I tried to buy fake cobwebs for a Halloween-themed Toastmasters meeting today and, 4 days before Halloween, the 3 Dollar Stores I checked had almost nothing. Everything was picked over and Christmas stuff was out already. I had to circle back to the grocery store, which still had them.

It's sad that Thanksgiving has been reduced to the "gateway" for the Christmas spending frenzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 08:30 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,683,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't think one word of this rambling is accurate, save for All Saints' Day being November 1. Is there a rash of adults getting drunk on Halloween?

Aren't jokes supposed to be funny?

Exactly.

If things changed, there could be a rash of adults getting drunk on Halloween with more money being made since you can be in costume too. Although, then there would be the concern with kids outside and such :/ Well, it was a thought, lol.

Oh, and that joke was funny (with a tinge of seriousness), but maybe just not to you but definitely to some others. :P
There is the implication that we "celebrate" a "white" holiday that really doesn't actually celebrate something truly positive.

Sure, it "celebrates" why Americans live in the place they live in now, but at what cost? I'd say that "cost" in reality has more significance than the superficial reasoning we created to celebrate the holiday and make it part of American mainstream culture. Consider all of that.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:11 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
I've done the trunk-or-treat in addition to the standard walking around the neighborhood with the kids. I find it's different enough to be a stand-alone even usually a weekend or two before.

Would I replace trick-or-treating on Oct 31 with the kids in our neighborhood with it? never

Old 10-31-2019, 09:31 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
I had to look up trunk or treating. It looks fun. Most communities I'm familiar with have gone to carnival games type Hallowen family events because it is safer environment for kids.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:28 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
I have mixed feelings about it. I understand that it's easier for parents to do it with smaller children, but it takes away the magic/luster of Halloween. It also takes the whole fun out of getting candy. It's an adventure to obtain as much as you can. We used to get bragging rights if we went to that one famous house that gave out normal or king size bars. IMO, the candy always tasted better knowing me, my awesome costume, and the route my friends and I planned out for the night, was what made it a successful Halloween. Growing up in the 90's, trick-or-treating was something my friends and I always looked forward to. One night, a small group of us in our costumes we have been talking about wearing all month, and as many houses to obtain candy from before it was back home for bed. We always went out the moment it began to get dark, and sometimes would be out until 9 or 9:30. Sometimes my parents would go and would dress up too, but a lot of times, it was me and a group of friends. Now I see kids going trick-or-treating in the daylight and back home before dusk. I remember last year pulling into the driveway from work, and a parent and her kid came up to me for candy. The kid happily said trick-or-treat, and the Mom goes, "Sorry, we figured we would come to your house now since we saw you pull in. We can wait out here or come back in a few minutes." I couldn't believe it! Like Jesus lady, can I go in the house and set my laptop bag down and take my dog out first?

That is....obnoxious! Unreal...

Old 10-31-2019, 11:35 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Why? Is it because of the differences in opinion over whether or not Halloween has pagan elements?

I agree on Thanksgiving getting lost here. I tried to buy fake cobwebs for a Halloween-themed Toastmasters meeting today and, 4 days before Halloween, the 3 Dollar Stores I checked had almost nothing. Everything was picked over and Christmas stuff was out already. I had to circle back to the grocery store, which still had them.

It's sad that Thanksgiving has been reduced to the "gateway" for the Christmas spending frenzy.
ya because of its pagan elements back when it was Samhain and also because of the Catholic elements and maybe also the secular.I just dont want to do anything that might cause someone at my church to stumble

Old 10-31-2019, 05:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,912,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The trend I hate now is that those of us giving out treats are supposed to ensure everything is allergen-free or some angry parent will show up at your house the next day to tell you that you tried to kill their child. Pretty soon nobody will be handing out treats anymore. I also can't stand the trend of putting out different colors of pumpkins to coordinate with different allergy issues, because the parents should inspect all their child's candy and throw out whatever they can't have. This should all be on the parents. Until it is, I'm not going to participate. We haven't handed out candy in years. There is too much liability now. I also don't like the political correctness that is enforced now about costumes that children wear. It's not like most of the choose their costume anyway, or might not be aware of any issues (example: dressing up as a witch is offensive to Wiccans).
I thought the "Bah, Humbug!" attitude was for Christmas. Apparently, Halloween, too.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
I use to love trick or treating as a kid...with all the candy...

one old fella in the neighborhood...didn't have any candies but gave us cigarettes...we thought that was cool!!

with my son...I loved taking him around to friends and families...

trunk and treating ive never seen it...but whatever works...

Old 10-31-2019, 07:02 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
[quote=Sassybluesy;56531555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Probably because people might be expected to contribute to more than one, depending on groups they're in (one at work,one in the neighborhood, one at church or for a civic group, etc.). And because how long do you want to hear about it/avoid places where it's done? And because how many *do* parents want to have to go to? Sure, you pick and choose. Then your kid comes home and says Susie is going to that one and Bobby is going to this other one and they want to go, and then they see a sign for yet another, and... So what? This is parenthood. Parents will have to deal with this about EVERYTHING. Not just Halloween. "Mom, can I join the wolf Soccer team? Adam and Neil are going to be on it." "Mom, can Santa bring me the battery powered battering ram? " "Mom, I need a new shirt for the Homecoming dance" "Mom, can I get a green Mohawk like Gunther's?

Buckle up Buttercup. This is parenting.
All right then. I didn't think it was a statement that required big bold red vitriol-- wow-- but whatever. I hope your day gets better.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:52 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,361,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I am not a fan of trunk or treats because they are a major source of division and controversy/hurt feelings at my church
How so? It seems like all innocent fun. My only complaint after participating in one handing out treats, I noticed a few of the same kids making their rounds 2-3 times. One of my guesses was their parents were volunteering somewhere in the Church as there were other activities going on.

I was a little irritated by those kids and told them there are other kids I needed to hand candy out to as it was an extremely busy night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships