Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 11:08 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
How so? It seems like all innocent fun. My only complaint after participating in one handing out treats, I noticed a few of the same kids making their rounds 2-3 times. One of my guesses was their parents were volunteering somewhere in the Church as there were other activities going on.

I was a little irritated by those kids and told them there are other kids I needed to hand candy out to as it was an extremely busy night.
Hi HappyFarm......it causes division because historically my sect was against any holiday being celebrated religiously much like the Puritans were.Also, the Occult connotation of Halloween cant help either.My sect is against the celebration of holidays by churches because the church in the first century did not have any Christian holidays.I just dont want to do anything that could cause a brother or sister to struggle in their faith.Hope this explains better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 07:28 AM

7,357 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

I know that the Catholic Churches have tried to discourage Halloween celebrations but obviously, they didn't succeed. I know plenty of people who take off for All Saints Day because their kids are home from school and they want to visit church.
I've never heard of Catholic Churches trying to discourage Halloween. It is an important part of celebration. Halloween (Oct 31), All Saints Day (Nov 1) and All Souls Day (Nov 2).

My kids Catholic schools always had Halloween parties. Some public schools have stopped Halloween parties because of the religious freedom. Jews celebrate Purim which is like Halloween. I don't know if there is a Muslim holiday like Halloween.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:43 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Jews celebrate Purim which is like Halloween. I don't know if there is a Muslim holiday like Halloween.
Not true at all! The only thing it has in common is wearing costumes. The origin of the custom (put intended) is far, far different. There are three explanations:
(1) So that Haman, who was supposed to kill the Jews in 357 B.C., wouldn't recognize them and mistake them for native Persians.
(2) It's a homage to god's miracle that saved the Jews in Persia, with people in costumes being as obscure as that miracle.
(3) It was a tradition borrowed from Catholics and their costumed Mardi Gras parades, to make Purim more festive.

Scary how history repeats itself: the Jews in modern-day Iran are just as persecuted as they were in 4th century B.C Persia. We just need a modern equivalent of Esther to marry Ali Khamenei. She probably won't be allowed into the country, though.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 11-01-2019 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-01-2019, 01:37 PM

7,357 posts, read 4,142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Not true at all!

Scary how history repeats itself: the Jews in modern-day Iran are just as persecuted as they were in 4th century B.C Persia.
And vice versa.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:04 PM

101 posts, read 49,620 times
Never had heard of "trunk or treating" until now.

Here, some kids have parties and our largest local mall had "Mall-o-ween" (may have been the first time). The are community events Halloween related leading up to Halloween.

Trick or treating is still pretty much the standard.

For adults usually the Saturday before Halloween is the main night to get dressed up and plastered at the bar or at Halloween shags (local name for 'stag & doe' aka 'wedding social' aka ??? whatever you may call a pre-wedding fundraiser with usually tickets sold to get in and tickets sold for items dondated by various businesses in draws at the event, dancing and drinking, etc.) at some of the local legion halls.

https://lakeheadsaradise.wordpress.c...n-thunder-bay/

Last edited by JustSomeGuy68; 11-03-2019 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 11-08-2019, 10:31 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
What is trunk or treat?

Edit, just found out.

Sounds boring. Takes the fun out of going door to door and getting candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships