Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 07:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

You have her number. Why not send a message and be done with it? Better to speak to the parents than the kids nowadays. People are touchy in a way they were not when we were growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 07:27 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Sometimes I think the thread I've read is completely different from the one other's have read...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-31-2019, 07:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sometimes I think the thread I've read is completely different from the one other's have read...
LOL yeah me too.

It's quite telling though.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
We live in a typical subdivision in Fort Worth. Probably the oldest couple here. I feel very much out of place with all the young families living here. I had to set some kids straight about riding their bikes and playing ball in my driveway. They were respectful and never again trespassed.

And this is why we are moving to an island, accessible only by ferry. With 1100 people. Average age 64. My only neighbor is a retired teacher and his wife.

Deer, raccoons, possums mostly.
That sounds very peaceful.

We're not there yet but one day I know we will be. This is probably our last "biggish" and "neighborhood house" before we move to some sort of more retirement geared neighborhood. But our last neighborhood, though it had a good mix of people, definitely did have more older people - by that I mean over 65 - and it just felt TOO OLD to me. We aren't ready for a retirement community yet.

For example, tonight we had tons of trick or treaters. I bought a lot of candy and I have very little of it left (whew, since I bought only what I like anyway - LOL). We had our porch decorated, a playlist of Halloween type music playing, lights outside, you name it - and I LOVED seeing the kids running up the walk way and crying out "Trick or treat!" It was adorable. I WANT that. I LIKE it. I would be so sad if we didn't have a lot of happy, healthy kids running around our neighborhood.

We aren't the oldest couple here. There are several in our small neighborhood who are our age or older. But most are younger. I'm fine with that if they are.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:22 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
I've heard that dogs are social animals, they like to meet and greet humans and other dogs. I also heard that part of their social makeup involves marking their territory and sniffing each other's butts. I suppose there may be some highly effective trainers out there who could get them to use doorbells but most would rather just go exploring to see their "friends" particularly those who claim to have had dogs and like them.

Now it seems to me that there was a single brief episode where an excitable dog followed a new friend into their house and did what dogs do but we continue to hear about it as if it was a thrice daily occurrence even to the point of suspicions of the same thing happening in the garage with no supporting evidence listed. This seems to be creating Niagara Falls over such a piddling matter.

Then there was the strange case of the moving trash can. Pretty sure that happened once, with no explanation or repetition or indication of any particular party responsible but someone is waiting with bated breath for that can to have the temerity to move again. Perhaps it is the trash can itself that is on steroids but wouldn't that have also been intuited by the husband here?

And the shed, oh my, the shed. Someone, or the HOA president himself saw the shed before it was moved to its final resting place (RIP) and made an inquiry. The horror, oh, the horror.

Kids! Noisy kids! In a neighborhood where 95% of the houses hold kids! Yup, they make noise - that's what kids do, particularly healthy, energetic kids when they are outside playing. Except maybe for those five approaching middle age mentioned here a few times; I'm sure they never created the sometimes loud sounds of happiness that virtually all kids do. Yup, sometimes they even get carried away and go onto the property of others whether it used to be okay or not. It doesn't appear that this youthful trespass is an ongoing problem either.

The strange thing here though, as I read through well over a hundred messages including dozens from the OP, is that I get the distinct impression that some here, most definitely including the OP, will be extremely disappointed if none of these things recur for then there will be nothing to complain about. "Weird as Heck" indeed.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:01 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
We live in a typical subdivision in Fort Worth. Probably the oldest couple here. I feel very much out of place with all the young families living here. I had to set some kids straight about riding their bikes and playing ball in my driveway. They were respectful and never again trespassed.

And this is why we are moving to an island, accessible only by ferry. With 1100 people. Average age 64. My only neighbor is a retired teacher and his wife.

Deer, raccoons, possums mostly.
I get this! I could not agree more. But for now, I am hoping for a nice young couple to move next door. I have enjoyed the last 6 months of not mowing the neighbors grass, my teenager finding her laying on the ground after she falls, or having her hit a tree or parked car every time she attempted to drive herself anywhere. She was in her 60’s.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I get this! I could not agree more. But for now, I am hoping for a nice young couple to move next door. I have enjoyed the last 6 months of not mowing the neighbors grass, my teenager finding her laying on the ground after she falls, or having her hit a tree or parked car every time she attempted to drive herself anywhere. She was in her 60’s.
She sounds quite disabled for someone her age. I don't blame you for wanting a change of pace. Most people in their 50s or 60s though aren't going to be in that sort of shape.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:00 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That sounds very peaceful.

We're not there yet but one day I know we will be. This is probably our last "biggish" and "neighborhood house" before we move to some sort of more retirement geared neighborhood. But our last neighborhood, though it had a good mix of people, definitely did have more older people - by that I mean over 65 - and it just felt TOO OLD to me. We aren't ready for a retirement community yet.

For example, tonight we had tons of trick or treaters. I bought a lot of candy and I have very little of it left (whew, since I bought only what I like anyway - LOL). We had our porch decorated, a playlist of Halloween type music playing, lights outside, you name it - and I LOVED seeing the kids running up the walk way and crying out "Trick or treat!" It was adorable. I WANT that. I LIKE it. I would be so sad if we didn't have a lot of happy, healthy kids running around our neighborhood.

We aren't the oldest couple here. There are several in our small neighborhood who are our age or older. But most are younger. I'm fine with that if they are.
In that our new house is in the PNW, we are going up 200k in mortgage. We didn't want to rehab ANYTHING. Everything inside is new and perfect. Most I'll do is some painting of my fav color, Navajo White. Footage still 1800sf. Just lots more peace and quiet. Kids make up 4% of residents....

The community has a truck or treat, but some dress up their porches.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:11 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Well, not all of us old folks are like that. I'm 69 and moved into my SF house on a large lot in the city last fall. I've put in 9 garden beds this summer and just planted 300 flower bulbs the weekend before last. I do have a service that mows my lawn, but I did at my old house too because I hate mowing. My yard is immaculate and the neighbors have complimented me on all the work I've done. I drive myself everywhere and have never had an accident in over 40 years of driving. My next door neighbor is 88 and has given up driving because her legs her bad, but the lady across the street is also 88 and drives herself quite well. They also use a lawn service, so we all have nice yards. No one has fallen outside that I've seen. We have some children here and they're delightful, as are their parents. It's an aging neighborhood, but a good mix overall. I love it here!

Old 11-01-2019, 11:41 AM

49 posts, read 31,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The dog PEED in my house only once, but has come running around in my garage and yard like a bat out of hell numerous times. Just to clarify. And it's only because I make it a point to never leave my door open into the house (like when I'm unloading groceries or large parcels from my car - which I'm doing pretty often having just moved) - and to be honest, I should be able to do that without having to worry about a dog running in and peeing on my carpet. Just two days ago I was in my garage and he came running around in there.

Here's the deal - I don't know when that dog is outside because they have a fence I can't see through. But if he is outside, and I come home and open my garage door, he knows how to get out, and he does, and he immediately comes running over to my house and garage and all that and starts rushing around like a goober. It's pretty irritating. Oh - and I believe he's peed in my garage for that matter as well. It's like it's his dog job to come running over and start marking his territory. I'm sorry he's wired together that way but they still need to do something about that.

To use your emphasis, I've lived in FAMILY neighborhoods my entire life. My entire life. I've had neighbors, often next door neighbors, with active, healthy little kids. Never in my life have I had a situation where kids decided that my yard was the neighborhood playground - that it was perfectly fine to come over, uninvited and certainly not to play with any of MY kids - and scream and yell all up in my yard and driveway for hours on end. Sorry. Never had that happen.

There's a big middle ground of perfectly normal and expected and polite behavior between "hunkering down in front of a TV or computer and never coming out to play" and "hanging out on someone else's property next door for hours and hours screaming at the top of one's lungs and leaving toys strewn across their yard." I'm very accustomed to - and very much enjoy seeing - kids playing in the streets, riding their bikes, running from house to house (yes, even running across my yard), etc. I like it. I want to see it. The other - no. LIABILITY. You keep overlooking this. LIABILITY. I do not want them hurt on my property. That's the biggest thing to me. I don't have kids at home. They are not our guests. They have big houses, big yards, etc. - go play there.

As for "not addressing it," IT'S BEEN LESS THAN A WEEK since I noticed any sort of accumulating issues, and they haven't done anything the past two days. If I need to address it, I WILL. I promise you. Of course I hope I don't have to. Meanwhile, you can call it "speculating and gossip" if you like, but it's not that. It's being observant. And I haven't gossiped to anyone - unless you call an anonymous forum "gossiping." Or talking to my husband, or my daughter who lives in another country and has no idea who these people are. I do reserve the right to vent anonymously about anonymous people.
Ah, "being observant"...sure. Like when people are, uh, "being observant" when ethnic minorities are doing stuff...sure.

Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships