Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2019, 11:43 AM

49 posts, read 31,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I've heard that dogs are social animals, they like to meet and greet humans and other dogs. I also heard that part of their social makeup involves marking their territory and sniffing each other's butts. I suppose there may be some highly effective trainers out there who could get them to use doorbells but most would rather just go exploring to see their "friends" particularly those who claim to have had dogs and like them.

Now it seems to me that there was a single brief episode where an excitable dog followed a new friend into their house and did what dogs do but we continue to hear about it as if it was a thrice daily occurrence even to the point of suspicions of the same thing happening in the garage with no supporting evidence listed. This seems to be creating Niagara Falls over such a piddling matter.

Then there was the strange case of the moving trash can. Pretty sure that happened once, with no explanation or repetition or indication of any particular party responsible but someone is waiting with bated breath for that can to have the temerity to move again. Perhaps it is the trash can itself that is on steroids but wouldn't that have also been intuited by the husband here?

And the shed, oh my, the shed. Someone, or the HOA president himself saw the shed before it was moved to its final resting place (RIP) and made an inquiry. The horror, oh, the horror.

Kids! Noisy kids! In a neighborhood where 95% of the houses hold kids! Yup, they make noise - that's what kids do, particularly healthy, energetic kids when they are outside playing. Except maybe for those five approaching middle age mentioned here a few times; I'm sure they never created the sometimes loud sounds of happiness that virtually all kids do. Yup, sometimes they even get carried away and go onto the property of others whether it used to be okay or not. It doesn't appear that this youthful trespass is an ongoing problem either.

The strange thing here though, as I read through well over a hundred messages including dozens from the OP, is that I get the distinct impression that some here, most definitely including the OP, will be extremely disappointed if none of these things recur for then there will be nothing to complain about. "Weird as Heck" indeed.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 11:45 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,242,123 times
Quote:
I've heard that dogs are social animals, they like to meet and greet humans and other dogs. I also heard that part of their social makeup involves marking their territory and sniffing each other's butts. I suppose there may be some highly effective trainers out there who could get them to use doorbells but most would rather just go exploring to see their "friends" particularly those who claim to have had dogs and like them.

Now it seems to me that there was a single brief episode where an excitable dog followed a new friend into their house and did what dogs do but we continue to hear about it as if it was a thrice daily occurrence even to the point of suspicions of the same thing happening in the garage with no supporting evidence listed. This seems to be creating Niagara Falls over such a piddling matter.

Then there was the strange case of the moving trash can. Pretty sure that happened once, with no explanation or repetition or indication of any particular party responsible but someone is waiting with bated breath for that can to have the temerity to move again. Perhaps it is the trash can itself that is on steroids but wouldn't that have also been intuited by the husband here?

And the shed, oh my, the shed. Someone, or the HOA president himself saw the shed before it was moved to its final resting place (RIP) and made an inquiry. The horror, oh, the horror.

Kids! Noisy kids! In a neighborhood where 95% of the houses hold kids! Yup, they make noise - that's what kids do, particularly healthy, energetic kids when they are outside playing. Except maybe for those five approaching middle age mentioned here a few times; I'm sure they never created the sometimes loud sounds of happiness that virtually all kids do. Yup, sometimes they even get carried away and go onto the property of others whether it used to be okay or not. It doesn't appear that this youthful trespass is an ongoing problem either.

The strange thing here though, as I read through well over a hundred messages including dozens from the OP, is that I get the distinct impression that some here, most definitely including the OP, will be extremely disappointed if none of these things recur for then there will be nothing to complain about. "Weird as Heck" indeed.
I will second (or third) that!

Old 11-01-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why would older people want to move into a single family house, with a large yard to maintain and kids everywhere? The house next to us is for sale and I am amazed at home many old people come look at it. The previous neighbor was in her early 60’s and it was too much for her to take care of. We have dump truck loads of leaves to clear... I don’t get it.

But you want to talk weird neighbors... I took a picture of one of our neighbors sitting in the dirt of his flower bed while reading a newspaper.
So...you took a picture of your neighbor without their knowledge so you could mock them.

Yeah. You sound pleasant. Sure.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:16 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD60 View Post
Ah, "being observant"...sure. Like when people are, uh, "being observant" when ethnic minorities are doing stuff...sure.

Whatever.
And here comes the race card.... this is why we can’t have nice things.

I guess the OP and I are the only ones who think a strange dog peeing in your house is a problem. I’d be pissed (no pun intended) if a strange dog came into my home and pissed on my rug. My own dog doesn’t **** on my rug. If he got out and did that to my neighbor,I’d die of embarrassment. The dog needs to be trained to stay in its own yard... that’s the invisible boundary that was mentioned how many pages ago.

The kids would bother me too.. from a liability standpoint and noise factor. Yes, they are outside and can use their outside voices, but not in the neighbor’s yard.

And as to why ‘older’ people buy single family homes in family neighborhoods...it’s none of your business why. Dh and I are young retirees and live in a very large home... why? Because we have a large family, and would rather they stay with us, than a hotel or resort.

It’s also very easy to hire outside help and inside help for those chores that an ‘older’ person can no longer do. Or in my case, no longer want to do. I’d rather sit on the beach with a book than clean my house.

Last edited by Kim in FL; 11-01-2019 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 12:24 PM

107 posts, read 108,035 times
Quote:

Exactly. There is nothing weird about the neighbors that's for sure. All the "issues" are easily addressed with a normal tactful conversation with neighbors. No need for assumptions, suspicions, or to be harboring any ill feelings. Normal healthy adults communicate and resolve things and this is easy to clear up and then move on.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:47 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

I guess the OP and I are the only ones who think a strange dog peeing in your house is a problem. I’d be pissed (no pun intended) if a strange dog came into my home and pissed on my rug. My own dog doesn’t **** on my rug. If he got out and did that to my neighbor,I’d die of embarrassment. The dog needs to be trained to stay in its own yard... that’s the invisible boundary that was mentioned how many pages ago.

The kids would bother me too.. from a liability standpoint and noise factor. Yes, they are outside and can use their outside voices, but not in the neighbor’s yard.

And as to why ‘older’ people buy single family homes in family neighborhoods...it’s none of your business why. Dh and I are young retirees and live in a very large home... why? Because we have a large family, and would rather they stay with us, than a hotel or resort.

It’s also very easy to hire outside help and inside help for those chores that an ‘older’ person can no longer do. Or in my case, no longer want to do. I’d rather sit on the beach with a book than clean my house.

Steve peed ON a lady last week.... luckily it was at the beach.

Just thought I would attempt to add levity. I don't Karen has been in the wrong at all.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-01-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:

The dog thing was a one-off. The trash can thing was a one-off. The kids playing was resolved, which seems to be disappointing the OP terribly -- but she's watching and waiting, she's got those cameras up and running!

I don't care who buys what house in what neighborhood, or what their ages are. Never said I did. I do think moving into a fairly active family neighborhood and being shocked, shocked there are kids is the only truly "weird" thing in this thread.

I have little tolerance for people who insist EVERYONE ELSE is the probem but never think their oh-so-perfect-selves may just have some issues. Just sayin'. Plus I really, really hate speculation and gossip, usually disguised as faux concern or "being observant". If you don't know, ask. Don't assume. Don't speculate.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Ah, "being observant"...sure. Like when people are, uh, "being observant" when ethnic minorities are doing stuff...sure.

Whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Steve peed ON a lady last week.... luckily it was at the beach.

Just thought I would attempt to add levity. I don't Karen has been in the wrong at all.
And that’s ok!! Some dogs do that when they get excited meeting people.

I wish mine liked the beach... he hates it!

Old 11-01-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
The dog thing was a one-off. The trash can thing was a one-off. The kids playing was resolved, which seems to be disappointing the OP terribly -- but she's watching and waiting, she's got those cameras up and running!

I don't care who buys what house in what neighborhood, or what their ages are. Never said I did. I do think moving into a fairly active family neighborhood and being shocked, shocked there are kids is the only truly "weird" thing in this thread.

I have little tolerance for people who insist EVERYONE ELSE is the probem but never think their oh-so-perfect-selves may just have some issues. Just sayin'. Plus I really, really hate speculation and gossip, usually disguised as faux concern or "being observant". If you don't know, ask. Don't assume. Don't speculate.
So don’t assume shes racially profiling her neighbors....

The dog entering the house was a one off.. she said the dog has been out loose and in her garage several times. My dog would have a heyday with a strange dog on his property, by his humans.. it wouldn’t end well.

She’s not shocked about how many kids there are, she’s shocked by the behavior of the kids. Just because they haven’t been back doesn’t mean it’s resolved... it just means they haven’t been back. Why shouldn’t she put cameras up? If one of those kids get hurt on her property and she’s held liable, the footage will come in handy. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have some sort of security system in place. Why shouldn’t she?

The op is a much nicer person than I am.. I would’ve dragged that dog by the collar to its master and addressed the issue right then and there. Same with the kids ( wouldn’t drag them ) Nipping it in the bud and setting boundaries is important.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
So don’t assume shes racially profiling her neighbors....

The dog entering the house was a one off.. she said the dog has been out loose and in her garage several times. My dog would have a heyday with a strange dog on his property, by his humans.. it wouldn’t end well.

She’s not shocked about how many kids there are, she’s shocked by the behavior of the kids. Just because they haven’t been back doesn’t mean it’s resolved... it just means they haven’t been back. Why shouldn’t she put cameras up? If one of those kids get hurt on her property and she’s held liable, the footage will come in handy. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have some sort of security system in place. Why shouldn’t she?

The op is a much nicer person than I am.. I would’ve dragged that dog by the collar to its master and addressed the issue right then and there. Same with the kids ( wouldn’t drag them ) Nipping it in the bud and setting boundaries is important.
I didn't assume she was racially profiling her neighbors. I noted that her actions were similar to BBQ Becky, Permit Patty and Cornerstore Caroline's. She's assuming, she's jumping to conclusions. It's the same mentality. She's on the watch!

She already has cameras up. She's mentioned this several times. Originally, the kids playing was setting off her Ring or Nest or whatever cameras and the notifications were bugging her. Now it's screaming for hours on her walkway (or something). Later it's about the liability. But it's not happening anymore, which ALSO has her perturbed. I mean...maybe she needs a job and a life outside her home?

Yes, I would've notified the owner about the dog, in a nice way. I tend not to drag dogs by the collar because it's abusive towards the dog who just doesn't know any better. I would've notified the neighbors about the kids. It's the continued griping about these supposedly "weird neighbors" for days on end that's telling.

The only supposed problem that remains unresolved is that the dog gets out from a fenced yard. How about letting the owners know and pleasantly offering to help them identify how this happens? Oh, wait, that might kindly, pleasantly, effectively resolve the problem, foster neighborliness, show someone else the face of Christ, and what then, pray tell, would the OP have to complain about...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships