Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2019, 02:17 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD60 View Post
I didn't assume she was racially profiling her neighbors. I noted that her actions were similar to BBQ Becky, Permit Patty and Cornerstore Caroline's. She's assuming, she's jumping to conclusions. It's the same mentality. She's on the watch!

then why mention race? This has nothing to do with observing any minority doing anything.

She already has cameras up. She's mentioned this several times. Originally, the kids playing was setting off her Ring or Nest or whatever cameras and the notifications were bugging her. Now it's screaming for hours on her walkway (or something). Later it's about the liability. But it's not happening anymore, which ALSO has her perturbed. I mean...maybe she needs a job and a life outside her home?

The constant dinging would drive me batty too. I no longer have any sound notification on my phone and my ringer is usually off unless I’m expecting a call. So you think she needs a job because she’s observing what’s going on in her yard? If the kids weren’t in the yard, the phone wouldn’t be going off, but let’s just ignore that tid bit of info.

Yes, I would've notified the owner about the dog, in a nice way. I tend not to drag dogs by the collar because it's abusive towards the dog who just doesn't know any better. I would've notified the neighbors about the kids. It's the continued griping about these supposedly "weird neighbors" for days on end that's telling.

notify the owner?? The dog was out loose, went into her home and peed on her rug. A dog she knows nothing about. I can’t believe you think this behavior is acceptable and normal. It’s not acceptable and it’s not normal. Yes, I would physically remove the dog from my property for it’s own safety. The dog wouldn’t be going home if he entered my house. My dog is not aggressive in any way but a spazzing dog in his home? Hell no

The only supposed problem that remains unresolved is that the dog gets out from a fenced yard. How about letting the owners know and pleasantly offering to help them identify how this happens? Oh, wait, that might kindly, pleasantly, effectively resolve the problem, foster neighborliness, show someone else the face of Christ, and what then, pray tell, would the OP have to complain about...?
Why should she help the neighbor figure out how and why her dog is getting loose? If Karen was such a witch, as you apparently think she is, she’d say nothing to the owner and call the HOA. My last HOA would’ve fined the owner $150.

I’d be mortified if my neighbor had to come and tell me how to control my kids and dog... the neighbor sounds clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 02:20 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
The dog thing was a one-off. The trash can thing was a one-off. The kids playing was resolved, which seems to be disappointing the OP terribly -- but she's watching and waiting, she's got those cameras up and running!

I don't care who buys what house in what neighborhood, or what their ages are. Never said I did. I do think moving into a fairly active family neighborhood and being shocked, shocked there are kids is the only truly "weird" thing in this thread.

I have little tolerance for people who insist EVERYONE ELSE is the probem but never think their oh-so-perfect-selves may just have some issues. Just sayin'. Plus I really, really hate speculation and gossip, usually disguised as faux concern or "being observant". If you don't know, ask. Don't assume. Don't speculate.
I've been having these thoughts since I first read the OP.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:24 PM

49 posts, read 31,182 times
Kim,

Learn to use the quote and respond features appropriately.

Also, learn what an analogy is.

Thank you,

The Internet

Old 11-01-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Kim,

Learn to use the quote and respond features appropriately.

Also, learn what an analogy is.

Thank you,

The Internet

That’s your response? Really? A gripe about the way I quoted and responded?

So you saying the OP has racist tendencies is now just an analogy? Oh, that’s rich.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:41 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
I didn't assume she was racially profiling her neighbors. I noted that her actions were similar to BBQ Becky, Permit Patty and Cornerstore Caroline's. She's assuming, she's jumping to conclusions. It's the same mentality. She's on the watch!

She already has cameras up. She's mentioned this several times. Originally, the kids playing was setting off her Ring or Nest or whatever cameras and the notifications were bugging her. Now it's screaming for hours on her walkway (or something). Later it's about the liability. But it's not happening anymore, which ALSO has her perturbed. I mean...maybe she needs a job and a life outside her home?

Yes, I would've notified the owner about the dog, in a nice way. I tend not to drag dogs by the collar because it's abusive towards the dog who just doesn't know any better. I would've notified the neighbors about the kids. It's the continued griping about these supposedly "weird neighbors" for days on end that's telling.

The only supposed problem that remains unresolved is that the dog gets out from a fenced yard. How about letting the owners know and pleasantly offering to help them identify how this happens? Oh, wait, that might kindly, pleasantly, effectively resolve the problem, foster neighborliness, show someone else the face of Christ, and what then, pray tell, would the OP have to complain about...?
Maybe she is anxious about it happening again since, it actually happened already. She obviously is hoping not to have to deal with the neighbors over these issues because it IS tough to have these discussions. You never know how it will go regardless of how nice you are about it.

Have you ever had an entitled neighbor who thought they should be able to do what they want? It isn't an easy thing, they don't want to change. And OP's husband already got bad vibes from the guy.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
That’s your response? Really? A gripe about the way I quoted and responded?

So you saying the OP has racist tendencies is now just an analogy? Oh, that’s rich.
Quote where I said the OP "has racist tendencies". Go ahead, I'll wait.

Yes, I do have a problem with passive-aggressive responses, especially from people who are openly lying about what I said.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe she is anxious about it happening again since, it actually happened already. She obviously is hoping not to have to deal with the neighbors over these issues because it IS tough to have these discussions. You never know how it will go regardless of how nice you are about it.

Have you ever had an entitled neighbor who thought they should be able to do what they want? It isn't an easy thing, they don't want to change. And OP's husband already got bad vibes from the guy.
You know, the OP began this with her husband's "hunch" (based on zero evidence) that these were "weird" people. Then she processed and continues to process everything through that unfounded hunch, including insisting she knows (with zero evidence) that the neighbors messed with her trash can, that they were the ones who called the HOA (which is not a wrong thing to do, and if you don't like HOA process, don't buy into an HOA 'hood).

And from there, the stories of normal, everyday family neighborhood life, with one or two one-off incidents that are easily chalked up to a new move, got bigger and bigger...the kids were playing...the kids left toys...the kids play in her yard exclusively...the kids stand in her driveway and scream for hours...

I mean, get a grip. Does any sane person think this is real? Please.

Last edited by JMD60; 11-01-2019 at 03:12 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Ah, "being observant"...sure. Like when people are, uh, "being observant" when ethnic minorities are doing stuff...sure.

Whatever.
Quote:
Quote where I said the OP "has racist tendencies". Go ahead, I'll wait.

Yes, I do have a problem with passive-aggressive responses, especially from people who are openly lying about what I said.
Here’s your quote. Hope it meets to your satisfaction.

Go ahead and explain yourself....what does your comment ( about race) have to do with this thread?

I’ll wait. Take your time. Not much going here anyway.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

Exactly. You bring up an excellent point. Who wants to have that conversation with their new neighbor? I would, but wouldn’t like it.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Here’s your quote. Hope it meets to your satisfaction.

Go ahead and explain yourself....what does your comment ( about race) have to do with this thread?

I’ll wait. Take your time. Not much going here anyway.
Yes, that's what I said. It's clearly an analogy. The comment is not _about_race. It's an analogy about mindset, worldview.

Thank you for proving my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships