Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2019, 05:20 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I actually agree with this - I was just imagining the surprise of a teenager when a voice came out of the sky - "Please play elsewhere!" I would actually go out there in person and then go talk to the mom if necessary. I just really hate to bother her because I feel like she's recuperating. She had a hysterectomy and then a laparascopy and biopsy so yeah - I'm trying not to stress her out.

All that being said, today they were out in force and clearly playing in their yard - which is fine by me - even running into my yard on occasion is fine by me too for that matter.
Teens are very tech aware. I don't think it would be like a voice from the sky. Everyone has nest and ring doorbells nowadays. I wouldn't go talk to them outside either just because I wouldn't want any misunderstandings about what I said or how I said it. It's not like when we were growing up regarding what people can say to other people's kids.

I had these kids following me on bikes bothering my dog, who is scared of children, and I had that very thing in mind when I wanted to say BEAT IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 05:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Doesn't sound like a good beginning and I don't know if you can get along with these neighbors, and the only way to keep the peace seems like you have to let them have their way and that is not possible and also stressful to you and your husband. The fact that the kids are playing in your yard is a big deal and yes maybe they played there before with the other neighbors turning a blind eye but the skateboards themselves cause damage to your yard and the noise, kids will be kids. Did you know there were so many kids in the gated community when you were looking at the place? The little dog, too running around. If they were good neighbors they would have told the kids to stay in their own yard or go to the park and also keep the little dog in their yard with safeguards that keep hm there. Just the fact that all this is happening is a sign of disrespect and crossing boundaries. You shouldn't even have to address these things or confront them because they never should have taken place in the first place. I think I would be looking for a new place and the only way to get through till then is just knowing this isn't forever.

Well, things are calmer now, which is great. Yes we knew there were a lot of kids in the neighborhood when we moved here, we just didn't expect them to be playing in our yard for hours at a time.

Oh and get this - it's not a "little dog." It's a huge, gangly lab! Just to flesh out the visual!

We're not moving. We've moved in and we're here to stay. I love the house and really like every other neighbor I've met, which has been a lot - in fact, I just came in from visiting with some neighbors down the street - met them for the first time and I really like them. Plus I met tons of neighbors last night during Halloween trick or treating and it was great. Super well behaved kids but I didn't see our neighbor's boys, so not sure where they were. Anyway, maybe things are imroving - I hope so. I agree - these things are their responsibility and I do think they should be in better control of their kids and dog.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Teens are very tech aware. I don't think it would be like a voice from the sky. Everyone has nest and ring doorbells nowadays. I wouldn't go talk to them outside either just because I wouldn't want any misunderstandings about what I said or how I said it. It's not like when we were growing up regarding what people can say to other people's kids.

I had these kids following me on bikes bothering my dog, who is scared of children, and I had that very thing in mind when I wanted to say BEAT IT!
Yeah I know they're techies but I still think it would be funny - but yeah, I'm not going to do it as much as I want to! LOL I do think it would surprise them even if they understood where it's coming from.

I don't mind saying something mild mannered to them though - but so far the last few days they haven't been in my yard much so I'm good.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD60 View Post
You know, the OP began this with her husband's "hunch" (based on zero evidence) that these were "weird" people. Then she processed and continues to process everything through that unfounded hunch, including insisting she knows (with zero evidence) that the neighbors messed with her trash can, that they were the ones who called the HOA (which is not a wrong thing to do, and if you don't like HOA process, don't buy into an HOA 'hood).

And from there, the stories of normal, everyday family neighborhood life, with one or two one-off incidents that are easily chalked up to a new move, got bigger and bigger...the kids were playing...the kids left toys...the kids play in her yard exclusively...the kids stand in her driveway and scream for hours...

I mean, get a grip. Does any sane person think this is real? Please.
Wow, talk about being fixated on something and reading into something - do you really not see the irony in your posts? Amazing.

1) My husband didn't have a "hunch" with "zero evidence." He had a long conversation with the guy. And even then, he didn't immediately tell me this because he's not a gossipy type of guy and he didn't want to color my perception of our neighbors - it was later that he told me about thinking this guy has anger issues. He based this on his conversation with the guy - his words and demeanor. I really don't know what all they talked about but my husband does, and I trust his judgment - he's a great judge of character.

2) I didn't base my observations on my husband's hunch either for that matter - I don't have to do that to form my own ideas or thought processes or whatever.

3) I've lived in HOA communities for nearly my entire adult life. I WANT an HOA. I'm good with an HOA. I'm NOT good with neighbors who stir up unnecessary drama (that's what it was - we were fine and it's all good now in spite of the reporting).

4) I also never said the kids play in my yard "exclusively." I never said they "stand in my yard and scream for hours." You are seriously into twisting things.

To reiterate what I actually HAVE said: These preteen and teenage boys have been playing loudly in my yard for hours at a time for several days (though not the last three days, thank goodness). They have been playing with skateboards, footballs, other balls, and scooters. They have been WAY up in my driveway, up near my garage, and using my driveway to skate down since it slopes. They have been playing football in my front yard. I am afraid one of them is going to get hurt - which seems like a logical fear considering they're rough and tumble boys, they're skating down my driveway, and they're tackling each other in my yard. They yell and yell non stop whenever they are playing (they were doing that today in fact) but when they are right up next to my house, it's very loud (doesn't bother me when it's not close to my house). They have left numerous toys in my yard - skateboards, balls, etc. several days in a row. When they play in my yard, I get bombarded by notifications on my phone no matter where I am or what I'm doing, which is irritating.

Oh and thanks, but no thanks - I don't need a job. I don't have to work anymore, though I did so for years, so I don't. I do a lot of volunteer work and that keeps me busy, but thanks for your concern.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-01-2019 at 06:14 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ah, the race card.

Wow, you really really don't know who you're talking to - LOL. The irony...

No, I think you mean the ‘analogy’

Old 11-01-2019, 06:11 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I get this! I could not agree more. But for now, I am hoping for a nice young couple to move next door. I have enjoyed the last 6 months of not mowing the neighbors grass, my teenager finding her laying on the ground after she falls, or having her hit a tree or parked car every time she attempted to drive herself anywhere. She was in her 60’s.
You do know the saying I hope "You can't pick your neighbors"

Old 11-01-2019, 06:21 PM

49 posts, read 31,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Oh good grief people, lighten up. Kathryn moves into a new neighborhood and, as I think all of us would do, has some curiosity as to what the neighbors would be like. I would think not wanting a best buddy relationship but wanting "good neighbors" type people to be living next door.

Right away there are a series of happenings that don't give the best first impression. Of course there is reason for concern, she comes here to vent and some people have to pile on.

No one is being forced to read this thread.
And she's not being forced to pile on the increasingly more bizarre rationalizations.

The only unusual thing that happened was that her trash can ended up on her lawn, although she has no idea why, or who put it there. That's it.

Everything else seems like normal things that could happen in a family neighborhood, normal things that could happen with a household in which the mother is having/recuperating from surgery.

If you want good neighbors, BE a good neighbor. OP seems like someone who needs to be capitulated to 100% of the time, is incapable of human empathy.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD60 View Post
I hear an echo...

It's not the race card. But it's not like I expected an educated response from you. Also, YOU have no idea who you're talking to, which ups the irony ante exponentially.
Are you guys going to throw down? It's not this serious, folks!

Old 11-01-2019, 06:29 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Everything other than the kids playing on your property is basically a non-issue, as the occurrences were minor, unlikely to have consequences, and haven't repeated.

The kids playing on your property could be easily stopped by visiting mom and saying, "Hey, I'm not trying to be unneighborly, but could you ask your kids not to play in our driveway and yard?" You could always soften it with something like "We use some lawn care products than aren't kid-friendly," or another benign reason of that sort, or bring a tin of cookies or whatever, if you're worried she might take it the wrong way.

Sure, mom and dad should be keeping an eye on them and they shouldn't be letting them do that, but it's possible the kids told them they had permission or some such (and maybe they did, from the previous owner). Anyway, it sounds like mom has a lot going on right now.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:33 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default Hey Rube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

…
Yes! I saw that movie - A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court? A musical, as I recall, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope. I forget who played the female lead. Yes, see if you can get those kids out there when there's a solar eclipse due, & threaten them with making the sun go away. Good for laughs, & with science ed going down the tubes, you might even garner some respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships