Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2019, 04:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, I think you mean the ‘analogy’
Oh right - my bad.

Oh and the "inference." And the "implication." And the "suggestion." And all that jazz.

I know me some Anglish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Everything other than the kids playing on your property is basically a non-issue, as the occurrences were minor, unlikely to have consequences, and haven't repeated.

The kids playing on your property could be easily stopped by visiting mom and saying, "Hey, I'm not trying to be unneighborly, but could you ask your kids not to play in our driveway and yard?" You could always soften it with something like "We use some lawn care products than aren't kid-friendly," or another benign reason of that sort, or bring a tin of cookies or whatever, if you're worried she might take it the wrong way.

Sure, mom and dad should be keeping an eye on them and they shouldn't be letting them do that, but it's possible the kids told them they had permission or some such (and maybe they did, from the previous owner). Anyway, it sounds like mom has a lot going on right now.
I totally agree with the bolded statement which is why I chose to vent here and look for some suggestions rather than take it up with the mom right away.

And yes, I'm happy to report that after what I'd call a flurry of oddities, things seem to have settled down on their own, without me having to confront the issues. Of course, if they resume, I'll have to say something.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:43 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Just a quick reminder to "play nice" folks!!! Mods don't like to infract or close threads, so let's keep it respectful. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2019, 09:02 AM

937 posts, read 744,500 times
My parents have had this exact same issue in a home that they moved into last year. The neighbors have SIX kids under eight and the parents were letting the kids roam from yard to yard and driveway to driveway playing in them. My mother became like the Wicked Witch of the West with these kids and would come flying out of her house with a squinty eyed pointed finger telling them to stay off her property. My mom was worried that she, my dad, elderly visitors, teen grandkids could accidentally hit one of the kids coming in and out of the driveway. She understandably didn't want the worry or responsibility with that.

The parents were these super tired overwhelmed people who would half heartedly try for a little while to keep the kids off my parents' property but then it would go back to the kids playing there. The Wicked Witch of the West put out cones in the driveway and called the HOA but really to no avail. The other neighbors slowly but surely started getting annoyed as well with the kids constantly in their driveways, GARAGES, and yards and became concerned about safety and liability issues. These kids would snoop in neighbors' garages if the door was left open! It took a few months but several neighbors wrote emails to the parents AND HOA expressing their concerns and that FINALLY put an end to the situation. The mom was just letting the older kids (oldest 8 or so) watch the other five kids (youngest TWO!) outside but now she will sit out there in a chair and watch and make sure they are not going onto others' properties.

I have also experienced a similar situation with the trash can. I don't know who is doing it but some neighbor will repeatedly roll our trash can up to our garage door if we do not get it back into the garage by around noon. The HOA states you have until the evening on trash days to get it back in. We have backed our cars out and hit the trash can before not knowing it was there which has put scruff marks on the back of one of our cars. It's annoying!

I wouldn't want kids playing on my property either. If it resumes, you should definitely go ahead and confront the issue and see where that takes things. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2019, 09:02 AM

Hey, guess what just set off notifications on my phone - the neighbor's dog running around in my driveway and sniffing and scratching at my garage door. And I could hear the neighbor calling for the dog and pleading for it to come back inside their yard. This dog...escape artist! LOL Oh well. As long as it's not peeing on my carpet or otherwise being destructive I don't care.

I just thought it was sort of funny. Sort of.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, guess what just set off notifications on my phone - the neighbor's dog running around in my driveway and sniffing and scratching at my garage door. And I could hear the neighbor calling for the dog and pleading for it to come back inside their yard. This dog...escape artist! LOL Oh well. As long as it's not peeing on my carpet or otherwise being destructive I don't care.

I just thought it was sort of funny. Sort of.
I’m surprised your HOA hasn’t addressed with the neighbors yet. I’m sure it’s been going on since before you moved in. He might just be a happy go luck lab, but he won’t be so happy when he gets hit by a car or attacked by a dog protecting its property.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
My parents have had this exact same issue in a home that they moved into last year. The neighbors have SIX kids under eight and the parents were letting the kids roam from yard to yard and driveway to driveway playing in them. My mother became like the Wicked Witch of the West with these kids and would come flying out of her house with a squinty eyed pointed finger telling them to stay off her property. My mom was worried that she, my dad, elderly visitors, teen grandkids could accidentally hit one of the kids coming in and out of the driveway. She understandably didn't want the worry or responsibility with that.

The parents were these super tired overwhelmed people who would half heartedly try for a little while to keep the kids off my parents' property but then it would go back to the kids playing there. The Wicked Witch of the West put out cones in the driveway and called the HOA but really to no avail. The other neighbors slowly but surely started getting annoyed as well with the kids constantly in their driveways, GARAGES, and yards and became concerned about safety and liability issues. These kids would snoop in neighbors' garages if the door was left open! It took a few months but several neighbors wrote emails to the parents AND HOA expressing their concerns and that FINALLY put an end to the situation. The mom was just letting the older kids (oldest 8 or so) watch the other five kids (youngest TWO!) outside but now she will sit out there in a chair and watch and make sure they are not going onto others' properties.

I have also experienced a similar situation with the trash can. I don't know who is doing it but some neighbor will repeatedly roll our trash can up to our garage door if we do not get it back into the garage by around noon. The HOA states you have until the evening on trash days to get it back in. We have backed our cars out and hit the trash can before not knowing it was there which has put scruff marks on the back of one of our cars. It's annoying!

I wouldn't want kids playing on my property either. If it resumes, you should definitely go ahead and confront the issue and see where that takes things. Good luck!
Thank you. Yes, I do feel like it's a case of being overwhelmed by a house full of loud, rambunctious school aged boys (and friends) and some health issues. That's why I haven't said anything yet - but now that the surgery is behind the mom and once I feel like she's recovered fully, I'll say something if I have to. But for the past few days things have been good so maybe it was temporary drama.

Ugh, stupid trash can drama. It's ridiculous. I can imagine that you'd be irritated by that.

The neighbors to the other side of me let their trash can sit out by the curb for (gasp) TWO WHOLE DAYS. I wonder if anyone reported them? IT WASN'T ME! LOL

Old 11-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I’m surprised your HOA hasn’t addressed with the neighbors yet. I’m sure it’s been going on since before you moved in. He might just be a happy go luck lab, but he won’t be so happy when he gets hit by a car or attacked by a dog protecting its property.
Right.

He's just a big, gangly, sort of hyper, labrador retriever. Harmless enough (when he's not peeing on rugs) and I like dogs, and would love to have a "friendly relationship" with this dog, but he's too spastic and hyper so far.

I hope he doesn't get hit by a car. The thing that concerns me is that apparently he knows how to get out of his yard easily and when he hears me outside or in the garage he often gets out and comes running over (but not to be petted - just sort of running around aimlessly). So I have to watch for him when I'm pulling out of my garage. Hopefully he has sense enough to get out of the way.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:27 AM

937 posts, read 744,500 times
Quote:
Right.

He's just a big, gangly, sort of hyper, labrador retriever. Harmless enough (when he's not peeing on rugs) and I like dogs, and would love to have a "friendly relationship" with this dog, but he's too spastic and hyper so far.

I hope he doesn't get hit by a car. The thing that concerns me is that apparently he knows how to get out of his yard easily and when he hears me outside or in the garage he often gets out and comes running over (but not to be petted - just sort of running around aimlessly). So I have to watch for him when I'm pulling out of my garage. Hopefully he has sense enough to get out of the way.
I like dogs too but can't stand when people allow their dogs to get out of their spaces. I'm a runner and loathe when some neighborhood dog on the loose starts chasing after me. You never know if you will get bitten or attacked. I don't run in neighborhoods anymore because of this and only run on park trails. It's so aggravating! I wouldn't want their dog on my property for all the reasons you cite. I would address the issue with them if it continues after the mother recovers. That's just not acceptable for their dog to be constantly going onto your property!

Old 11-02-2019, 09:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Right.

I’ll bet you he’s bored and not getting enough exercise. Labs need exercise or they get destructive or in his case, go looking for fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships