Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2019, 09:33 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Everything other than the kids playing on your property is basically a non-issue, as the occurrences were minor, unlikely to have consequences, and haven't repeated.
But even that was only a one time thing, except for an occasional ball ending up in her yard. You cant expect to live in a neighborhood full of kids and not expect the occasional kid to come onto your yard to retrieve a ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 10:57 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,163,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, things are calmer now, which is great. Yes we knew there were a lot of kids in the neighborhood when we moved here, we just didn't expect them to be playing in our yard for hours at a time.

Oh and get this - it's not a "little dog." It's a huge, gangly lab! Just to flesh out the visual!

We're not moving. We've moved in and we're here to stay. I love the house and really like every other neighbor I've met, which has been a lot - in fact, I just came in from visiting with some neighbors down the street - met them for the first time and I really like them. Plus I met tons of neighbors last night during Halloween trick or treating and it was great. Super well behaved kids but I didn't see our neighbor's boys, so not sure where they were. Anyway, maybe things are imroving - I hope so. I agree - these things are their responsibility and I do think they should be in better control of their kids and dog.
I am glad things are calming down and sounds like you do really love your new house and neighborhood except for the people next door, I think they maybe the exception to the neighborhood. For some reason I thought it was a little dog, now I imagine the lab, they are fairly large I was thinking also maybe the other neighbors and kids don't really hang around with your neighbors or their kids for similar reasons.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:30 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
I wouldn't say anything about the dog. He isn't dangerous. The Mom knows full well that he gets out and goes and calls him. Short of calling the police for 'dog at large' there is nothing to do.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:42 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I keep a squirt gun to discourage my neighbor's dog. I love my dogs, but my dogs are trained and have been socialized and have manners. They're not going to jump up and rip my dress or bark at my visitors. My neighbor's dog does all those things. So I have a water gun.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:03 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Question: Is this a brand new home or a home previously lived in? I ask this because it sounds like you have the neighbors from H---. I bet the previous owners got tired of dealing with this rude neighbor and moved. (assuming this is a pre-owned home) Before buying a house I always talk with the neighbors. I would see if you can meet other neighbors on the other side of him and see if he is causing them problems or is he just targeting you guys.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But even that was only a one time thing, except for an occasional ball ending up in her yard. You cant expect to live in a neighborhood full of kids and not expect the occasional kid to come onto your yard to retrieve a ball.
Nope, not a one time thing - as I've already described, they had done it several days in a row - and in fact, though I was gone yesterday afternoon, they resumed playing in my driveway on scooters and skateboards. And in my front yard. By the time I got home it was late and I had company coming over so no, I didn't say anything to them, but I intend to.

I have said from the get go that I don't mind "the occasional kid coming into my yard to retrieve a ball." Heck, I don't even mind that every day - even several times a day. I just don't want a group of boys to decide that my yard is their chosen place to play football or use as a ramp for scooters and skateboard.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Question: Is this a brand new home or a home previously lived in? I ask this because it sounds like you have the neighbors from H---. I bet the previous owners got tired of dealing with this rude neighbor and moved. (assuming this is a pre-owned home) Before buying a house I always talk with the neighbors. I would see if you can meet other neighbors on the other side of him and see if he is causing them problems or is he just targeting you guys.
Yes, it is a pre existing home. We didn't get to meet these particular neighbors because just as we were moving in, the wife was having a hysterectomy and they were pretty preoccupied. Everyone else has been great.

They've calmed down a bit but the boys were back to playing on my property for hours yesterday. I wasn't home though and when I got home, I had company coming over almost immediately so I haven't said anything but when (not if, when) it happens again and I'm home I'm going to talk with my neighbors. I just hate that though.

I haven't said anything to any other neighbors though because I don't know who loves who or is related to who or whatever. Plus I just don't like to have negative conversations about other people in the neighborhood with folks who live out here.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:33 AM

830 posts, read 487,060 times
Interesting thread. I've just discovered it, and read the entire thing from the start as if it were a made-for-tv mini drama.

To me, Kathryn seems reasonable and well intentioned. But the kids playing in her yard seems like a red flag. Either the parents don't know, or the parents don't know and are allowing it. Neither option is very good.

Still, some charitibility is called for when deciding how to address the issue. If it were me, I think I'd try inviting the parents over as was mentioned upthread, and then bring up the issues in the midst of other conversation. Use it as mostly an information gathering session to see how the parents feel about these sorts of issues. Then, after the meeting, use the newly gathered information to make an informed decision on what further actions to take.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:34 AM

256 posts, read 140,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I keep a squirt gun to discourage my neighbor's dog. I love my dogs, but my dogs are trained and have been socialized and have manners. They're not going to jump up and rip my dress or bark at my visitors. My neighbor's dog does all those things. So I have a water gun.
You don't think this is a little bit much...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...72874398050395 (JK)

Old 11-03-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Interesting thread. I've just discovered it, and read the entire thing from the start as if it were a made-for-tv mini drama.

To me, Kathryn seems reasonable and well intentioned. But the kids playing in her yard seems like a red flag. Either the parents don't know, or the parents don't know and are allowing it. Neither option is very good.

Still, some charitibility is called for when deciding how to address the issue. If it were me, I think I'd try inviting the parents over as was mentioned upthread, and then bring up the issues in the midst of other conversation. Use it as mostly an information gathering session to see how the parents feel about these sorts of issues. Then, after the meeting, use the newly gathered information to make an informed decision on what further actions to take.
Thank you.

I mean, I am going to have to say something. My phone has already notified me several times this morning because their dog is running around outside my garage and in my front yard. Now - I don't care that he's in my yard (except that if he's hanging out on my property he's probably also leaving little brown presents for me in the front yard) but I don't want him pooping out there, or running into my garage or house and doing his business. And I don't want to hit him with my car backing out.

I got notifications over and over again yesterday afternoon even though I wasn't home, because the kids were playing in my driveway and yard - all afternoon. Come on. Using my driveway as a scooter and skateboard ramp among other things.

So I'm going to have to have a conversation with the parents and it's not likely to be a pleasant one. I like your idea of having them over but I don't want to do that till my husband gets home and that's another week out. So hm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships