Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 01:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm not sure how it changes anything liability wise. If they get hurt on your property your insurance company will have to pay either way. Your rates will increase and you will have a black mark on your insurance record, good luck if you want to switch companies. Skateboarding is one of the activities with the most injuries. You really need to stop them.

We had neighbors that seemed to let their dogs run around, even though they acted like they had escaped. It was frequent and they would be up in our yard looking for them sometimes four days a week.

Some people just can't seem to figure out how to manage their responsibilities properly or they just don't care.

Actually I looked this up and especially if I have warned them to stay off my property (since they're kids it's better to tell them - adults should know they are trespassing without being told) they are probably not going to be able to hit up my homeowner's insurance.
https://www.enjuris.com/texas/premises-liability/

I still don't want anyone to get hurt though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 01:55 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
It could probably be argued that your yard and driveway are an "attractive nuisance" to kids.

I wouldn't take a chance. I would inform the parents and follow up with a certified letter.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Kathryn, by any chance does your neighborhood have a FB page or something similar? We do, and it really helps people get a vibe of the place, see what has been problems in the past, and such. It can be another tool...... to deal with tools.
Yes, our neighborhood does have a FB page and it's innocuous. Not a hint of drama. Like I said, everyone seems just really, really nice - but then there's this family. And actually they're not NOT nice - they're friendly enough from what I can tell and their property is well maintained - their kids and their dog just don't seem to have any sort of understanding of boundaries.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:02 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I might even consider confiscating the dog. Don’t know where you are or the weather. Is the garage an option? The basement? A bathroom? Heck, bring the dog to the Police

Sooner or later the family will notice.

Used to have someone is the neighborhood who let their big old dog roam. Roaming dogs poop where they are. One by one neighbors collected the poop and stuffed it into the owner’s mail box. They noticed. They complained to the HOA who has no authority over dogs or people’s behaviors. Asked if they could think of a reason why anyone would stuff bagged poop in their mail box. They could not. Asked if it was possible the bagged poop was their dog’s output, given FIDO was a known roamer. Suggested a simple DNA test could confirm.

They left and did a better job containing FIDO.
That's a crime. Putting poop in the box or on a porch.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
OP knew about the covenants regarding structures and blatantly ignored it.
Kids and dogs are not an HOA issue. She has to take it up with neighbors and local law.
Actually we called the HOA president BEFORE we got the storage building and followed his advice to a T. We're fine with the HOA and the storage building for the record.

The HOA is not the issue. The neighbor's kids and dog are the main issues.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:05 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,050,475 times
Leave the dog poop in the front yard until after the kids have come over again to play.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It could probably be argued that your yard and driveway are an "attractive nuisance" to kids.

I wouldn't take a chance. I would inform the parents and follow up with a certified letter.
The law doesn't read that way. If I had a swimming pool or if the kids were very young and attracted to my dogs, maybe so - but neither is the case. I am going to tell the parents to please keep their kids off my property. I am not going to give them any reason why because I don't even have to have a reason why.

I don't even HAVE to document this (not saying I won't) because it is clear that this is my private property.

I am also going to go outside and tell the boys to please stay off my property as well.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:55 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, our neighborhood does have a FB page and it's innocuous. Not a hint of drama. Like I said, everyone seems just really, really nice - but then there's this family. And actually they're not NOT nice - they're friendly enough from what I can tell and their property is well maintained - their kids and their dog just don't seem to have any sort of understanding of boundaries.
Maybe your neighbor is trying to establish dominance.

Sent his dog to pee on your stuff and everything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-03-2019, 02:55 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
Default Easy going..

OP,
Invite your neighbors over for dinner or BBQ or whatever and then you can get to know each other. It would be mistake to diss their kids. In conversation you can talk about your previous home where the kids would play in their own yards. Veil it a bit.You can also tell them about someone moving your garbage can. Ask them if they have "seen" anyone doing it. They might know of kids roaming around and getting into mischeif for example.

Your neighbors haven't changed the way they do things because they don't know what your boundaries are yet. Perhaps the previous owners of your house didn't mind what the kids do.
Also I think you will get used to how things go in that neighborhood. You will need to adapt too. After a while their curiosity will wane and they won't be interested in whats over the fence.

Train the security camera lens on the garbage can area iif you cannot solve the mystery after you ask your neightbors about it.

Good luck.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:09 PM

Lots of great advice - thanks to all of you.

My thought is that "less is more." I don't have to give them any reason for me to ask them to stop playing on my property or to keep their dog off my property (and especially out of my house). If I say anything about the surveillance cameras that may come across as threatening or whatever. If I say anything about liability it may give them ideas for all I know. But I don't have to say anything other than "Please don't play on our property. Thanks." (to the kids) and "Please don't allow your kids to play on our property. Thanks." (to the parents) If they by some chance asked WHY, all I need to say is "I prefer it that way. Thanks again."

They already know the dog is a problem. If I find dog mess in my yard, or if the dog runs into my house again, I'll escalate it. Or if it upsets my dogs. Which it does if they are outside (which they don't want to be - LOL).

Doesn't it bother THEM when dogs everywhere start barking when their dog is out? Sheeze.

I'm comfortable with this plan at this point though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships