Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 01:04 PM

32 posts, read 30,586 times

Advertisements

I have cancer and I will not be going forward with chemotherapy, as I've explained here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cance...session-2.html

What are some good strategies to start helping my family to prepare for the end? I don't want to constantly remind them of this but I want them to know it's a reality they have to be prepared for.

What are some good activities to do with them while I'm still independent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 01:44 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleasher View Post
I have cancer and I will not be going forward with chemotherapy, as I've explained here:

What are some good strategies to start helping my family to prepare for the end? I don't want to constantly remind them of this but I want them to know it's a reality they have to be prepared for.

I'd discuss this with your oncologist...even though you have opted out of treatment they still have connections with resources you could use and could give you information about what to expect medically/physically. They know your situation better than someone new might. There are helpful guides and articles available through the American Cancer Society and other organizations. Here are a couple that might help you start:

https://www.cancer.net/navigating-ca...ting-your-life

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/chi...l-illness.html

Old 11-01-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd discuss this with your oncologist...even though you have opted out of treatment they still have connections with resources you could use and could give you information about what to expect medically/physically. They know your situation better than someone new might. There are helpful guides and articles available through the American Cancer Society and other organizations. Here are a couple that might help you start:

https://www.cancer.net/navigating-ca...ting-your-life

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/chi...l-illness.html
I have an appointment next week with a new oncologist to discuss these options.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:50 PM

There's a trip I'd like to take but never managed to find the time. Maybe my brother would like to come around with me.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:21 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
In your other thread, you mentioned that you are 27, but I didn't see any mention of your family, other than saying "my family is my family." So, who are they? Are you married? Do you have children? (And if so, how old?) What about parents, siblings, aunts/uncles, etc.?

You stated in the other thread that you are not religious. Are any of your family members religious? Regardless of your opinion on the subject, it is an undeniable fact that millions of people have found comfort in religious faith in times of extreme difficulty. Even if you yourself don't want to go that route, some of your family members may.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:29 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
I understand your decision.

I would make sure the funeral or whatever you choose happening with your body is arranged and paid for.

Go on that trip asap as long as you are able to do it.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:19 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
I think your family can prepare themselves without too much help from you.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:43 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,642,353 times
Quote:

Are there any alternative treatments you would consider other than chemo? If so, send me a private message and I can suggest some. I am a four-time breast cancer survivor by the way.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:

You've already made up your mind that you're going to die so why does your family need to prepare for your end? You said in your other thread that you will spend every last cent of your savings to make sure your family doesn't have to lift a finger to take care of you. That they should continue their daily lives as usual.

So really, if you are paying and taking care of all the arrangements with regard to your own personal care when you're dying there's nothing they need to do or prepare for. The family only needs to be mentally prepared to say goodbye when the end comes and then follow through on your disposal after you're dead. Just make sure your last will and testament is properly prepared, signed and witnessed, stamped and sealed by an official and make your own arrangements ahead of time with a funeral director about how you want your body disposed of.

I don't think there's an answer to what are some good activities for you to do with your family. They're your family, you are the only one who knows them well enough to know what kind of activities to do. Like you said, you want them to continue their daily lives like usual so you should take that into consideration.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:29 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
So really, if you are paying and taking care of all the arrangements with regard to your own personal care when you're dying there's nothing they need to do or prepare for. .... Just make sure your last will and testament is properly prepared, signed and witnessed, stamped and sealed by an official and make your own arrangements ahead of time with a funeral director about how you want your body disposed of.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships