Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times

Advertisements

If a co worker repeatedly insults your work, you complain to HR.

This did happen to me many years ago, and I remember calmly refuting the accusation, which was dropped. I was taken aback as I knew I was a good worker who was productive. But I had been learning how to use a dumb terminal which I had never used before. I found it hard at first, and I tended to make mistakes as I learned.

It is OK to calmly refute accusations, but you have to stay calm. And repeated demeaning comments by a co worker should be taken to HR. Such behavior is bullying.

On the other hand, sometimes people can see insults where none are intended.

At any rate, it sounds as if there is too much talking in this workplace, which is not productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 11:20 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,658 times
One year my job gave a 3 day class on conflict resolution. some of it was hookey but some was really good.

One thing we learned was to think about what we actually wanted and if our actions would get us what we wanted.
did we want to confront the bully to establish some sort of dominance or did we want the behavior to stop.

without any specifics I would say that if you are coming across as violent than you are pretty much painting yourself as just as bad as the bully. Is that what you want? I've seen coworkers get into shouting, screaming, threatening shouting matches. it rarely ends well.

In todays world of cameras and video recording it's fairly easy to document inappropriate behavior. losing your call in no way helps the situation.

How do you assert yourself.
Calmly, rationally and clearly. without emotional outburst, screaming or threatening.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:34 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
One where the op is the common denominator?
Previous threads:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-i-should.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/menta...ous-false.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...e-someone.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-behavior.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/psych...answer-me.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-pleasant.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...eact-when.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/asia/...ave-japan.html

I've only briefly skimmed those threads, but it seems that the OP has difficulty with social interactions - expressing himself and interpreting others. He may also be struggling with PTSD.

IMO, the OP needs professional help. But, yeah, he's the common denominator.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Previous threads:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-i-should.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/menta...ous-false.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...e-someone.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-behavior.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/psych...answer-me.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-pleasant.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...eact-when.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/asia/...ave-japan.html

I've only briefly skimmed those threads, but it seems that the OP has difficulty with social interactions - expressing himself and interpreting others. He may also be struggling with PTSD.

IMO, the OP needs professional help. But, yeah, he's the common denominator.

Oh, boy!! Yeah, clearly he’s the problem.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:07 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
How do you assert yourself without being perceived as being violent?
To start, this shouldn't be a catch 22. But what I often see is someone NOT saying something the FIRST time it happens, implicitly communicating that there is not a problem.

Not sure if we're talking about a work place, or otherwise, but a couple of things to remember are:

1. Retaliation may be protected against, but your actions silently influenced by the threat of retaliation are not protected. (Don't make any knee jerk reactions, don't sign away your rights, or EVER say anything is OK when it's really not.)

2. You are not obligated to go to HR first. Go straight to an attorney if you feel your job or well being on the job is at risk. The sooner the better, you have more options if you're still employed at said work place.

3. All said, any situation like this should not exist in the first place, and you are right to want to remedy it. Deal with facts: names, dates, who said what words. Period.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:00 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
WOW! Guess so!

Old 11-04-2019, 02:04 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
WOW! Guess so! OP all this is evidence that what you are doing isn't working. Time to search out some interpersonal relationship skills training. See what your employer or even your industry may have to offer.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:58 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Now who’s playing the victim?

Old 11-04-2019, 10:52 PM

330 posts, read 178,932 times
I tell scumbags who want to get 'tough' with me - "I protect myself with the strongest force allowable by Pennsylvania law."

Old 11-05-2019, 12:51 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times
1: Use tone of voice. Use positive directives - such as " When I am done my report , I would appreciate it that you learn to encourage instead of critiquing it. Think that is a goal you can achieve? - Then let them absorb it.
2: Use body language that exudes confidence ( to back up your words). Body language is 90% of the conversation anyways.

3: Asserting is usually done in a straight forward tone. With a bit of leeway to the listener. Getting feedback or clarity is also important. Provided the listener is open to conversation.

If for some bizzarre reason the listener perceives it as a violent tone, or stance. You may want to run it by a person who has no bones in the conversation . They can give some suggestions in your words or behavior.

Thats the general way to assert.

In your case OP I dare say you may want to take some classes on open communication and inter-active courses to learn what is and isn't okay in confronting adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships