Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 09:22 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times

Advertisements

I think you live in your head wayyyyyyyyyy toooooooo much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 09:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Are you spiritual at all? You might try finding a church that you like, with people who are truly loving and accepting. They are out there.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:48 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Are you spiritual at all? You might try finding a church that you like, with people who are truly loving and accepting. They are out there.
My God is accepting. That is enough for me. As for church, I have not yet turned down an invitation to go and as long as I am able will continue to visit as many different congregations if I am able.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I think you live in your head wayyyyyyyyyy toooooooo much.
So does everyone.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:36 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
My God is accepting. That is enough for me. As for church, I have not yet turned down an invitation to go and as long as I am able will continue to visit as many different congregations if I am able.
If that were true, then whats the point of your thread?

Old 11-16-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
If that were true, then whats the point of your thread?
Accepted by God, not perfect, and difficulty understanding the world and people in it, so I'm asking people directly.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Aileesic, does anything in this link resonate with you?

9 steps to breaking free from being the family scapegoat - Daylight Out of Darkness

Sure helped me. I hope it helps you.

I had skipped over this (unintentionally) in this post and and will take a look at it.

Just realizing also today another thing about my relationships, or non-relationships, with people.

No one ever starts a conversation with me unless they are needing something from me such as a favor. Small talk has always dropped off awkwardly in the first few sentences. It feels like the other person is either uncomfortable or really doesn't have anything to talk with me about.

Just yesterday, a family member (I've got almost none left) said the reason they don't call is because I don't have the same problems as they do (addictions), so talking with me about things they would rather talk about is useless, and I don't have anything of interest they want to listen to.

I don't drink that much. Don't smoke. Never did drugs (other than tried a few times and wasn't impressed). So I'm a square, I suppose. And now maybe I've finally uncovered (with everyone's help, of course) what it is about me that has kept me from fitting in.

I'm no fun. People just can't "let loose" around me because I'm a square and maybe the original "Debbie downer."

I guess that's it.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Being a "square" wouldn't be a problem in a conservative, fundmentalist church. Try to find one (assuming you're a believer).

Maybe you suffer from mild, chronic depression (dysphoria). Misery loves company, but - alas - company doesn't love misery.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:58 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Not sure of where to post on this forum but serious question here.

In every single place I have lived, many people have called attention to my looks. Apparently, I'm just not attractive enough to fit in with communities where all the at least minimally attractive people live, and that seems to be just about everywhere these days unless the on the streets, jails, hospitals, and extremely dangerous low-income areas where I don't fit in either. So my question is where in the U.S. do more "homely" (not obese, just plain-jane, loner, awkward and uncoordinated) people live a decent life without being constantly criticized and pushed to move somewhere else by neighbors because most would rather not be forced to see me in public?

This has happened to me in every city and town I have lived since childhood and now once again is starting to make me think about giving up altogether. I like where I am right now - more than anywhere else - yet it's just another place to live. Everyone around me seems to either not understand what I'm doing here, appear offended or suspicious of my presence, and those that do talk to me keep pushing the idea that I should move out to some desert or some cold and rainy part of the country where I don't want to go and unfamiliar with, or places I've been but stayed sick and did not fit in either. It's come to the point that I just can't figure out what about me makes other people so uncomfortable, especially since I'm not bothering anyone, keep mostly to myself and do my own thing.
I wonder where you go to where people go out of their way to harass you and tell you that they don't want you here...because of your looks?

I'd say it's your awkwardness and coordination that might be making people uncomfortable and rather opposed to you being there.

Are you perhaps in a high income area (they tend to have some of the more rude types in my experience. They often are the ones that will try to run you out.)?

Old 11-21-2019, 01:02 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
People have actually sat me down to have a conversation about my looks and why I don't seem to fit in wherever I am at the moment. I do think a lot of this comes from my growing up on military bases without siblings, other family, and because I have always been so unusual, have not made even one lasting close friendship. I have had friends, but never one I would consider best or closest, not would anyone consider me their closest friend. I am literally in this life alone. It just doesn't help at all when everyone seems to find something wrong with who I am, and I can't figure out what it is about me that makes so many people want me to just go away as if my existence is hurting them in some way.
Honestly, this sounds very alien to me.

Sounds like you are around some extremely shallow people if they are that offended by your looks to the point that they just want you gone.

And this happens everywhere you go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships