Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 10:47 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
So, I enjoy musing on things just for the hell of it, and I was listening to a podcast and a girl on there mentioned that she thought "Hope all is well!" is, full stop, a conversation ender. Like people use it just to be cordial and because they do NOT want to have any more conversation. It is the equivalent of a mic drop, ender. I beg to differ though. I think some people use it because they, in fact, DO want to have more conversation, but they are nervous and really suck at the art of conversation and just don't know what to say to strike up or continue a conversation, so they say some short ice breaker of, "Just wanted to say hi, srjth, and hope all is well!" in the hopes that YOU open the flood gates and continue the conversation. So, no, I don't think it's the "mic drop" of a conversation ender always. I think sometimes it's a conversation beginner. So, let the people speak...what do you think? Conversation ender always?
It's an ender. That's how I use it in email
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 10:48 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Same here. To me, "Hope all is well with you" is equivalent to "How is everything with you?" It's a conversation opener.

No.. one is just a statement, the other is an actual question of interest.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:15 PM

1,350 posts, read 820,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
So, I enjoy musing on things just for the hell of it, and I was listening to a podcast and a girl on there mentioned that she thought "Hope all is well!" is, full stop, a conversation ender. Like people use it just to be cordial and because they do NOT want to have any more conversation. It is the equivalent of a mic drop, ender. I beg to differ though. I think some people use it because they, in fact, DO want to have more conversation, but they are nervous and really suck at the art of conversation and just don't know what to say to strike up or continue a conversation, so they say some short ice breaker of, "Just wanted to say hi, srjth, and hope all is well!" in the hopes that YOU open the flood gates and continue the conversation. So, no, I don't think it's the "mic drop" of a conversation ender always. I think sometimes it's a conversation beginner. So, let the people speak...what do you think? Conversation ender always?
I say ender.

It should be in the form of a question.... (Alex) …..for it to be an opener.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:07 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
I think it's an either/or kind of phrase. I've used it as both an opener and a closer.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:47 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think it's an either/or kind of phrase. I've used it as both an opener and a closer.

I think you're right. It's an either/or kind of phrase. It's interesting that people expect you to be able to read their minds and know what they mean by it. I wish people learned how to say what they mean. Until then, I guess I'll just respond to that by volleying the same statement right back to them.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:51 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
I say ender.

It should be in the form of a question.... (Alex) …..for it to be an opener.

It should be in the form of a question when it's an opener, but it's not. And why isn't there a question mark when it's meant as an opener? Because the person is usually nervous and timid.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:07 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Same here. To me, "Hope all is well with you" is equivalent to "How is everything with you?" It's a conversation opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
No.. one is just a statement, the other is an actual question of interest.
I agree with LilLisa. “Hope all is well.” is a statement that doesn’t invite a response other than “Thank you.”

“Hope all is well?” (with a question mark) is technically questioning if one hopes all is well. It’s not questioning if all is well. If one wishes to engage in a conversation, it’s best to ask “How are you?”, “How are things?”, “What’s new?” etc.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:51 AM

64 posts, read 29,602 times
Maybe they do actually hope all is well with you because they like you, but have not heard from you in a while.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:07 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Hope all is well sounds like a conversation ender to me. However, "Hi, hope all is well"? sounds like an opener.

A former boss of mine used this phrase when people greeted her and she didn't want a conversation. "Hi, Jane, how are you"? Her response: "I'm well, hope you are too". Great way to not have people tell you how they really are if you don't have time to chat.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:22 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
im kind of hesitant to use that phrase. it's like assuming the other person is doing well; it's not actually asking how they are, but to move the conversation along to a different topic.

Kind of what I was thinking too.

IF you want to know if a person is well or not, than ask the question. "How are you Donald Trump?" Otherwise, seems to me, the grammatical statement "Hope you are well" doesn't require an answer, and so, technically...it IS a conversation ender.

But I think most people take it as an open ended statement, and people who have the gift of gab can work with it. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships