Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times

Advertisements

I come from a good sized family and we see each other throughout the year or talk often.

This year, it seems there is more out of town travel - one of my sisters and her kids (young adults) are going to visit her son (my nephew) who has been in the Army for 1 year. He's stationed in NC.

My brother will be in California and his kids are scattered going to the other side of their families for those get togethers.

Our daughter in NYC, married last year, is meeting her other side in Las Vegas. The other side is coming from San Diego.

So, for the first time in many many years, we are sort of alone. We have our son here but he works in a restaurant and Thanksgiving is an all day event.

(I grew up in the restaurant/country club business so I remember).

We are open to looking for opportunities and to give back on this day. It's my favorite day of the year actually.

Our home is undergoing some renovation work so not sure how far along the work will be by next week.

We are open to going places locally. Has anyone done anything where you look back and think it was a good Thanksgiving? South Florida area - West Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale would be a good stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 07:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday to "mix up," since it's mostly about a meal, which can be had most anywhere.

I love going to the mountains for Thanksgiving. The beach is a favorite too, of course, since we are landlocked.

It's also a fun time to share with other friends who may be without extended family, hence a "Friendsgiving."

Of course, working a charitable project that day is always a good thing.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Some of my best holiday memories were when they didn't follow the traditional plan, for whatever reasons. But we ended up having a good time together hanging out.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:02 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
I went through a stretch of a few years where I did TG out at restaurants with friends. It was actually a very good time and I look back on those days with a lot of fondness. It's also nice not to have to travel or cook or clean and I was spending my time with people I truly wanted to be with.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:02 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We are open to looking for opportunities and to give back on this day. It's my favorite day of the year actually.
I would do the classic holiday Chinese restaurant meal and quietly pick up the check for every family that comes in.

I enjoy doing that, but you do you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships