Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 12:11 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of anything like this happening & yes, this is the oddest thing I've ever heard. Over the course of 14 yrs?! I'm surprised one of you hasn't spoken to the other yet due to such bizarre-ness or curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Could he be “stalking” you for some reason? Very odd that he keeps turning up.
I thought about that too. He wouldn't know you're gay, right? Is there any way he would know your name to be able to look you up & view your FB page to see the types of places you go, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Maybe this fellow is a twin or triplet? Same face, but you're actually seeing him and his siblings at other points in time?

You've never spoken to this person?
Good possibility here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 06:13 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I live in one of the largest cities in the country, more than 8 million people in the metro area. And there is this man that keeps crossing paths with me the last 14 years:

-14 years ago when I was working at a gym part-time in college in the same 8 million plus city, this man was a member at the gym. I worked at the front desk so I knew faces well. This gym was in the downtown of my city. He's an extremely handsome guy so he always caught my attention. Anyway nothing weird about that.

-A few years later at a gym 5 miles from downtown, I started seeing him work out at this gym that I was a member of (I had left that part-time a long time ago). Nothing odd, but just coincidence.

-Around that time I was on a boat cruise, and low and behold who was there? Him.

-Fast forward a couple of years later, I left my city to go to grad school in another city. It's about 300 miles away. One day at lunch in the college town, who do I see there eating lunch? This guy.

-I move back to the city after grad school, and then within one summer I see him in 2 bars with what appeared to be his girlfriend. This when I started to notice a pattern.

-I move to a neighborhood in the city some years later to where I never lived before. I join the local gym and who do I see there is also a member? Him again.

-I left that gym after a couple of years. So then I moved to a neighborhood further out, maybe like 2 miles away and who do I see at my local bar with another woman? Him again.

-Then it had been years, and I mean maybe like a good 3 years since I have saw him. I actually completely forgot he existed. This was maybe a few weeks ago, I was working remotely from a random coffee shop, and who is also there working at the coffee shop? This guy. The funny thing is when we both saw each other we each paused and gave a look of "You again?"

-Coincidentally, today in downtown, just a few weeks since the last sighting, I am walking back to the office from lunch, as I am walking down the street who do I see pass me by? Him. And again he we both looked at each other bewildered.

If we lived in a small town this wouldn't be weird and would make sense. But I have so many friends and family that live here, and I rarely bump into them. A good friend of mine lives a couple blocks away and I never bump into him in the neighborhood. But being this is a large city of 8+million people it's just so bizarre. It's just nuts how this guy keeps crossing my path.

I almost feel like it's a sign of something (and I don't mean romantic).

I think you are being stalked. Move and change your name.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:31 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
He's probably wondering why you keep following him around.

I don't think it is odd for a gym member to run into another person who uses a gym to work out. Maybe you both like the same foods or type of drinks.

People aren't spread out over the entire large cities. Ther are small local neighborhoods where people rarely move outside of that area. Generally, you are exposed to more of a small town size population, even when you are in a huge city.
It's odd that every time the OP switched gyms and neighborhoods, so did the anonymous guy. The odds of that happening so many times are just ridiculously stacked against it.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:11 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,242,123 times
That's pretty unusual. But I kinda like it when life throws weird coincidences at you.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:23 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's odd that every time the OP switched gyms and neighborhoods, so did the anonymous guy. The odds of that happening so many times are just ridiculously stacked against it.
The only thing I will say is they are along the same corridor. All the neighborhoods. So the train line that runs through each of those neighborhoods is the same. And those neighborhoods I suppose are all next to each other. I kept moving up one neighborhood with time.

Kind of like if someone moved from Hollywood, to West Hollywood, then to Beverly Hills. So if he's like me and likes the general neighborhoods in that corridor could make sense why he moves around as I do.

Either it's weird. But I will say as another poster said perhaps it's his looks that make him stand out. I am sure there are pretty average people out there that I have seen multiple times I just don't remember or notice. This guy is pretty hot, so when I see him he stands out.

Maybe this happens to everyone.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,998 times
I think rather bizarre but totally cool. Next time you see him please approach, offer your hand to him and say, "Let me introduce myself..."

Old 11-22-2019, 12:48 PM

315 posts, read 256,202 times
This might have something to do with when you think about buying a certain kind of car, and then all of a sudden you see those cars everywhere.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I live in one of the largest cities in the country, more than 8 million people in the metro area. And there is this man that keeps crossing paths with me the last 14 years:

-14 years ago when I was working at a gym part-time in college in the same 8 million plus city, this man was a member at the gym. I worked at the front desk so I knew faces well. This gym was in the downtown of my city. He's an extremely handsome guy so he always caught my attention. Anyway nothing weird about that.

-A few years later at a gym 5 miles from downtown, I started seeing him work out at this gym that I was a member of (I had left that part-time a long time ago). Nothing odd, but just coincidence.

-Around that time I was on a boat cruise, and low and behold who was there? Him.

-Fast forward a couple of years later, I left my city to go to grad school in another city. It's about 300 miles away. One day at lunch in the college town, who do I see there eating lunch? This guy.

-I move back to the city after grad school, and then within one summer I see him in 2 bars with what appeared to be his girlfriend. This when I started to notice a pattern.

-I move to a neighborhood in the city some years later to where I never lived before. I join the local gym and who do I see there is also a member? Him again.

-I left that gym after a couple of years. So then I moved to a neighborhood further out, maybe like 2 miles away and who do I see at my local bar with another woman? Him again.

-Then it had been years, and I mean maybe like a good 3 years since I have saw him. I actually completely forgot he existed. This was maybe a few weeks ago, I was working remotely from a random coffee shop, and who is also there working at the coffee shop? This guy. The funny thing is when we both saw each other we each paused and gave a look of "You again?"

-Coincidentally, today in downtown, just a few weeks since the last sighting, I am walking back to the office from lunch, as I am walking down the street who do I see pass me by? Him. And again he we both looked at each other bewildered.

If we lived in a small town this wouldn't be weird and would make sense. But I have so many friends and family that live here, and I rarely bump into them. A good friend of mine lives a couple blocks away and I never bump into him in the neighborhood. But being this is a large city of 8+million people it's just so bizarre. It's just nuts how this guy keeps crossing my path.

I almost feel like it's a sign of something (and I don't mean romantic).

This happened with my parents! They're married for over 40 years now

Old 11-22-2019, 04:06 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
You've heard the expression "there's no such thing as coincidences."?

Old 11-22-2019, 04:10 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Is his name Waldo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships