Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 05:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
He's either:

a: married
b: non-existent, made up
c: something to be embarrassed about

or
d: she's gay and he's just a friend she's using as a "beard"

Mostly she just wishes you'd all quit bugging her about it. She's over 21, right? She has normal intelligence, not mentally challenged or otherwise unable to make decisions for herself, right? Then MYOB.

I think the above post lists all possibilities. I'm inclined to think he might just be an acquaintance, not really a boyfriend and she has her private reasons for saying she has a boyfriend. Maybe part of her reasons are because relatives can't mind their own business and are stalking both the cousin and her acquaintances and invading her privacy. I think people should stop bugging her about introducing him to them and discontinue the stalking. The stalking of her and her friends says more bad things about the stalker than it does about the persons being stalked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 05:35 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,971,833 times
If I had a nosey cousin like you.... I’d probably keep my mouth shut too.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:40 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
If I had a nosey cousin like you.... I’d probably keep my mouth shut too.
Thisssssss. I wouldn't bring him around either.

I just can't imagine caring that much about a cousins BF to go so far as search for him online.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:23 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
I think he is an imaginary boyfriend. That photo could have been of anybody. I mean; he actually managed to attend the only event in 5 years that none of YOU were at?

Old 12-03-2019, 10:46 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,660 times
He's either married or she just doesn't want nosy relatives meddling in her personal affairs so she keeps him away.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:08 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Really. I don’t need everyone to tell me go mind my own business. It’s very cliche. I’m just wondering if the guy is playing her. He does exist though since she posted 2 pics of them together at someone’s wedding few years ago.
I didn’t do a reverse image search but now the 2 pics of him online (one on his LinkedIn and one when he was an Uber driver) are no longer there.
I have pictures of myself with the same girl from More than one wedding. We weren’t dating, we weren’t each other’s dates, we were just in a circle of friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Gotta love the MYOB chants.
Silly is as silly does.

I say she is delusional . Met a gal like this in high school. She constantly fabricated stories just enough to be somewhat believable. Til one day she assured us her sister that she constantly bragged was a model...showed us a picture of her sister . It was from a magazine. We each said...that is Brookes Shields and you are not her sister. She seriously insisted that it was her sister . Too bad we didn't mind our own business ..she'd still be fabricating tales. Ohh but wait! MYOB only applies if it's your kin.
I do not understand the MYOB crowd. She’s family. She’s close and has close access to parents and grandparents and siblings and kids. As such, she is a member of the circle of trust. Similarly, as a cousin she is a loved one, she shares our blood, is a direct descendant of my father’s father (or mother’s mother, etc,) the daughter of his brother. She has access to our parents and grandparents.

When something that doesn’t smell right comes up within the circle of trust, others are entitled to ask questions.

When something is concerning about a loved one, we are entitled to ask questions. If she’s in an extremely unhealthy relationship, we want to help her, for her own good and for the good of the family.

She has apparently brought the boyfriend up and talks about him. She could easily kill him off if he were a fictitious beard.

Quote:
He's either:

a: married
b: non-existent, made up
c: something to be embarrassed about

or
d: she's gay and he's just a friend she's using as a "beard"

Mostly she just wishes you'd all quit bugging her about it. She's over 21, right? She has normal intelligence, not mentally challenged or otherwise unable to make decisions for herself, right? Then MYOB.
Or she’s being led along by someone that’s a gaslighter/manipulator.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:05 AM

11,136 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
He does exist because she posted one pic of them together but that was a few years ago. And she said her brother has met him. She is 50 and he is a few years younger. He is Muslim with a common name. She says he is a personal trainer. We googled him and there are what seems like hundreds with his name or similar that are trainers. She will never bring him around. Only says she is with him and will meet us after. Or we ask her to bring him and she will say “I was with him yesterday”. Or will just not respond. He didn’t attend her fathers funeral because she said he had a lung infection. He was supposed to come with her to one of our friends wedding and wasn’t at the ceremony. She said he was at his kids soccer game and would be at the reception. Then she said he wasn’t able to come because there mom was late picking his kids up. For years she said they would be getting engaged but he is working on fixing his condo and selling it. That was like 3 years ago. And she still says the same thing. 5 years and she has never told her mother about him. Only met his kids a few times but he refers to her as a friend. She only had like 2 pics on her phone. One was from Linkedin (his pic is no longer there, just his profile) where it says he is searching for work in Chicago and the Middle East. How can you be searching for work in both places? It’s detailed about schooling in Egypt and work as a trainer in Chicago. Also a professional volleyball and soccer player. Maybe he is married or not who he says he is?
Or maybe she's a compulsive liar and he's not her BF. Do you know anybody else with a BF for 5 years and they only have 2 pictures of him on their phone? And one of them is from a website where anyone could copy the pic? Maybe they broke up long ago and she doesn't want to tell you all that she doesn't see him anymore.

We had a "friend" who told us about her BF, and all the things they did together. She would even put fictitious dates with him on her wall calendar where we might see them. The thing was WE ACTUALLY KNEW THE MAN, and we often knew his whereabouts on their alleged date nights, and he wasn't dating her. We let her spin her tales though, knowing all the while that they were lies.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:27 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Similarly, as a cousin she is a loved one, she shares our blood, is a direct descendant of my father’s father (or mother’s mother, etc,) the daughter of his brother. She has access to our parents and grandparents.
You are overstating the cousin relationship in a lot of cases. I am estranged from one set of cousins and the cousins that I am not estranged from, I rarely see them in person. I will routinely go 2-5 years without seeing them in person. A significant natural disaster happened in my area earlier in this year & neither cousin called or texted me. Neither is friends with me on Facebook or Instagram.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:03 PM

10,099 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Or maybe she's a compulsive liar and he's not her BF. Do you know anybody else with a BF for 5 years and they only have 2 pictures of him on their phone? And one of them is from a website where anyone could copy the pic? Maybe they broke up long ago and she doesn't want to tell you all that she doesn't see him anymore.

We had a "friend" who told us about her BF, and all the things they did together. She would even put fictitious dates with him on her wall calendar where we might see them. The thing was WE ACTUALLY KNEW THE MAN, and we often knew his whereabouts on their alleged date nights, and he wasn't dating her. We let her spin her tales though, knowing all the while that they were lies.
Hey, my brother had a WIFE for 18 years and none of us ever saw even one picture of her. (And yes, we checked the marriage records for his town to verify that he was, indeed, married). We (the family) were planning to go to their out of state wedding, but then we were disinvited by the bride-to-be. My dear late Mom practically begged my brother for years to send a picture of his wife, but he never did. For all we know, she could have looked like either Marilyn Monroe or Quasimodo, not that we would have cared either way.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:34 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Hey, my brother had a WIFE for 18 years and none of us ever saw even one picture of her. (And yes, we checked the marriage records for his town to verify that he was, indeed, married). We (the family) were planning to go to their out of state wedding, but then we were disinvited by the bride-to-be. My dear late Mom practically begged my brother for years to send a picture of his wife, but he never did. For all we know, she could have looked like either Marilyn Monroe or Quasimodo, not that we would have cared either way.
Yep, these things happen. One of my friends found out her father was married a couple of years ago to someone only a few years older than her. My friend was in shock, as they lived in the same town and my friend is on all of his accounts (because he has limited English literacy). I think something came to both of them and she noticed it when going through the bills one day.

FWIW, the last time I saw any cousin was almost 10 years ago, in early 2010. Many people just aren’t that close to their cousins to find it necessary to invite significant others to any event. I think I met my cousin’s SOs when they got married. There was nothing nefarious about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships